Houston Golf Center At 7710 South Main St.

Willsatx

Subdude said:
In a Tidelands thread there is a list of businesses on Main St in 1969, and Houston Golf Center is listed at 7710 Main between Braeswood and Kirby. Is that what you were referring to?

Where were other miniature golf courses in Houston? For me these rank up there with snake farms and dinosaur parks as great roadside attractions.

Well it was 1980 and it was closed and I would say that it was on Main, I was 8 yrs old and remember passing by the park and it was abandon. You can still see the actual holes despite the high grass.

That was a great trip in 80 we stayed at the Astroworld hotel, and spent 2 days at Astroworld. I remember my parents used to love eating at the kroger deli, and also we went to I think Burger Chef quite a bit.

Edit:

Here's a 1964 advertisement.

Houston Golf Center
7710 South Main

Driving range with automatic tees and pro shop
54 holes of miniature golf
Large groups by reservations
(Trophies furnished for large groups)

dEqQySu.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...
On 7/30/2007 at 0:31 AM, Willsatx said:

After doing some exploring in Houston over the weekend the miniature golf course subdude talked about was located where the residence inn is now located. I would say it closed sometime in the late 70's.

Correct.  Closed and sold off its buildings and fixtures in 1979.  Houston Golf Center, 7710 (South) Main.  Residence Inn was built on the site in 1983.  It opened in 1959, a project of famous oilman Albert Plummer.

• The title was changed to Houston Golf Center At 7710 South Main St.

Archived