Three Aides Of Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo Indicted; Will This Doom Her Reelection Prospects In November?

Blue Dogs

2 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Prosecutors accuse Hidalgo's chief of staff Alex Trinataphyllis of violating conditions of his bond:

https://abc13.com/harris-county-13-investigates-alex-trinataphyllis-judge-lina-hidalgo/11818143/

They are reaching. The judge told them to work it out, since he still has to do his job, and part of that is sitting on committees. 

4 hours ago, Ross said:

They are reaching. The judge told them to work it out, since he still has to do his job, and part of that is sitting on committees. 

Yeah...that happens a lot in legal circles.  Remember all the hubbub around "Russian collusion" a few years back that turned out to be nothing?

8 hours ago, august948 said:

Yeah...that happens a lot in legal circles.  Remember all the hubbub around "Russian collusion" a few years back that turned out to be nothing?

Super confident that the GOP wave getting bigger will take down Hidalgo, Garcia & others down-ballot in November. 

Plus Biden's deeply despised in the Lone Star State! 

8 hours ago, august948 said:

Now you’re just being a Mr Silly Pants, Augie!

5 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Super confident that the GOP wave getting bigger will take down Hidalgo, Garcia & others down-ballot in November. 

Plus Biden's deeply despised in the Lone Star State! 

He’s back to his chants and incantations!

(Remember, you have to say it at least 3 times in a row while dancing around a fire, @Blue Dogs)

9 hours ago, august948 said:

No big surprise.  Has Abbott endorsed anyone?

Good question. I'm sure Abbott's massive warchest will give whoever the GOP nominee for Harris County Judge a boost.

11 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

United States Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) endorses Mealer.

Hack endorses hack.  Good thing Cruz's popularity in the County has been in the toilet for a good 5 years.  Can't say I've ever met a sane person who likes the guy.

Opinion | Ted Cruz, Hometown Anti-Hero - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

38 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Good question. I'm sure Abbott's massive warchest will give whoever the GOP nominee for Harris County Judge a boost.

If you're speaking in empty platitudes, best get it right, the figure of speech is a "massive campaign warchest."  

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Hack endorses hack.  Good thing Cruz's popularity in the County has been in the toilet for a good 5 years.  Can't say I've ever met a sane person who likes the guy.

If you're speaking in empty platitudes, best get it right, the figure of speech is a "massive campaign warchest."  

Surely you didn't just quote the New York Times opinion on a local Texas issue?

image.jpeg.d8443c955205d6f6f3d8f7ac18911bc2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Hidalgo expecting to get indicted soon according to NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston:

Steel-cage death match?  Is someone going to suggest next that Lina Hidalgo and Kim Ogg mud wrestle it out?

1 hour ago, august948 said:

Steel-cage death match?  Is someone going to suggest next that Lina Hidalgo and Kim Ogg mud wrestle it out?

Having met Kim, I kind of think that may be what she is gunning for. Lesbians can be so unpredictable. Man Hands Mealer will most definitely be foaming at the mouth for a ticket, I have no doubt about that.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Here’s old Ted at his best, talking as if anyone on either side gives two craps what he says. His face and tone always betrays that he earnestly believes that people actually do, probably the side effect of being raised by a whack-job preacher. This is of course way worse than his earlier, conveniently last minute “endorsement” of Man Hands, but at the end of the day, just as revealing. He’ll probably watch this at least 10 times before he goes to bed while patting himself on the back. What a shame (for only him, of course, but he’s incapable of thinking of others) the closest he got to being President was in 2016. (Teduardo is definitely in the Top 5 of the Texas Politician Total Loser All-Time Hall of Fame, and on a very crowded ticket at that, mind you … but, yeah, I rely on this guy whenever I ask myself, “What is best for Harris County? What would Teduardo do?”)

Edited by mattyt36

Bear in mind that District Attorneys can, if they wish, indict a ham sandwich.
Whether Judge Hidalgo's aides, or her own possible indictment have merit remains to be seen. Until then they are presumed innocent. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Whether Judge Hidalgo's aides, or her own possible indictment have merit remains to be seen. Until then they are presumed innocent. 

Absolutely.

But it's not great politics when (1) it's obvious that most of this is being shamelessly orchestrated at the State level; (2) most voters can't even tell you what the County Judge does; (3) she's up against a shameless demagogue and, I won't mince words, outright liar; and (4) the worst part of all--Lina just doesn't seem to be that good at politics.  Well, stated differently, I guess, she's about as good as one should expect a 31-year-old, first-termer would be.  The cards are definitely stacked against her, and I can't say I'm that hopeful in the efficacy of her response.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

To throw my two cents in, I agree. 

I plan on enthusiastically voting for Mealer in November. I've donated to her campaign. And I suspect that Hidalgo's office is corrupt.

BUT

You're right. Smoke does not necessarily imply fire (e.g. Trump/Russia collusion). I think that any voter who is informed enough to follow the indictments is also likely to understand that they are just that- indictments. Nothing has been proven. The prosecutors are just beginning to build their cases.

I don't think that the indictments will necessarily hurt Hidalgo in the general election, assuming she can handle her PR well. I don't think that playing the victim card that she's been trying to play will serve her well. She's in too high of an office for that. But she's not an idiot. I expect that she will adjust her tact soon and play this whole thing smartly. Innocent or not.

Edited by aachor

49 minutes ago, aachor said:

To throw my two cents in, I agree. 

I plan on enthusiastically voting for Mealer in November. I've donated to her campaign. And I suspect that Hidalgo's office is corrupt.

BUT

You're right. Smoke does not necessarily imply fire (e.g. Trump/Russia collusion). I think that any voter who is informed enough to follow the indictments is also likely to understand that they are just that- indictments. Nothing has been proven. The prosecutors are just beginning to build their cases.

I don't think that the indictments will necessarily hurt Hidalgo in the general election, assuming she can handle her PR well. I don't think that playing the victim card that she's been trying to play will serve her well. She's in too high of an office for that. But she's not an idiot. I expect that she will adjust her tact soon and play this whole thing smartly. Innocent or not.

Well I shall just say, I hope you’re right, @aachor

And as compensation for your donations and support, I hope you get an autographed photo of the Man Hands. The campaign team definitely has shaven off at least 20 pounds, femmed her up a bit, and made her less mouthy, I’ve noticed. As much as I hate to admit it, smart money at this point is probably on her. (Yes @Blue Dogs, you can quote me on that!)

In which case Lina Hidalgo will rank right up there with RBG and Hillary for me. Smart, smart people, but absolutely terrible at the execution of basic politics.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Absolutely.

But it's not great politics when (1) it's obvious that most of this is being shamelessly orchestrated at the State level; (2) most voters can't even tell you what the County Judge does; (3) she's up against a shameless demagogue and, I won't mince words, outright liar; and (4) the worst part of all--Lina just doesn't seem to be that good at politics.  Well, stated differently, I guess, she's about as good as one should expect a 31-year-old, first-termer would be.  The cards are definitely stacked against her, and I can't say I'm that hopeful in the efficacy of her response.

1) I'm not so sure an indictment has that much effect on voting.  Lina should be able to turn this to her advantage by portraying herself as a victim of vicious politics (unless #4 really holds true). 2) Agreed.  3) Demagoguery is part and parcel of politics.  I know we might disagree there so I'll ask about Alexandra's outright lies.  What I've heard her say so far is mostly fluff.  What lies are we're talking about?  4) Probably right on this one but I wouldn't worry too much about Lina's future.  If she's got a taste for being a professional politician/operative the Democrats will find a place for her.

5 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well I shall just say, I hope you’re right, @aachor

And as compensation for your donations and support, I hope you get an autographed photo of the Man Hands. The campaign team definitely has shaven off at least 20 pounds, femmed her up a bit, and made her less mouthy, I’ve noticed. As much as I hate to admit it, smart money at this point is probably on her. (Yes @Blue Dogs, you can quote me on that!)

In which case Lina Hidalgo will rank right up there with RBG and Hillary for me. Smart, smart people, but absolutely terrible at the execution of basic politics.

I'd be more careful about putting Hillary in the same category as RBG.  And I haven't seen the Hillary's astonishing level of arrogance in Lina so far.

On 5/26/2022 at 5:38 AM, august948 said:

3) Demagoguery is part and parcel of politics.  I know we might disagree there so I'll ask about Alexandra's outright lies.  What I've heard her say so far is mostly fluff.  What lies are we're talking about?

Fearmongering based on fever dreams for votes when you should know better is lying as far as I'm concerned.  But I mean, you're right, she could believe her own stuff, I suppose, and therefore it wouldn't constitute "lying" per se, just tremendous irresponsibility and lack of self-accountability.

Edited by mattyt36

On 5/24/2022 at 7:33 PM, august948 said:

Hidalgo blames Ogg for three of her aides getting indicted & thinks the DA will have her indicted next.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:32 PM, mattyt36 said:

Having met Kim, I kind of think that may be what she is gunning for. Lesbians can be so unpredictable. Man Hands Mealer will most definitely be foaming at the mouth for a ticket, I have no doubt about that.

You just don't like Mealer do you ? Just admit it. You're scared because 2022 is a GOP year across the country.

“You just don’t like Mealer do you ? Just admit it. You’re scared because 2022 is a GOP year across the country.”

Correct. (Has that ever been in question?)

(BTW, serious question here, do you think na-na-ny-boo-boo is a legitimate way to run a country?)

Edited by mattyt36

• 3 weeks later...