Fattest City Again

So in one year Dallas is fatter than Houston. What a bunch of crap these magazines throw at us and some people actually believe it! Get real. Houston's never been the fattest city (even though somehow we got designated that way for a while). Since I am so trim 5 9 and weigh 145, I find this a huge joke. And all my family in Houston are like me: healthy, slim and trim. The joke is on the public that believes this propaganda. Happy New Year!!!

I can agree that there are other cities with fat people, but of all the places I've been, none have been as bad as here - except maybe New Orleans.

I was pretty overwhelmed by what I saw in San Antonio last weekend.

I believe there was a government report (which I give a lot more credit on the methodology front than Men's Fitness - who said a couple of years ago that Houston was in Howard County, TX! :wacko: ) that mentioned the typical resident of San Antonio was more overweight than residents of any other major U.S. city. I believe it after what I saw.

But you are right, I see lots of extras l.b.s around Houston, as well as other major Southern and Midwest cities. There are only a few American cities that seem to largely escape the Battle of the Bulge (San Diego, Denver, etc..), so no one is really in a position to point fingers.

But you are right, I see lots of extras l.b.s around Houston, as well as other major Southern and Midwest cities. There are only a few American cities that seem to largely escape the Battle of the Bulge (San Diego, Denver, etc..), so no one is really in a position to point fingers.

I've noticed the same in the south about obesity. I've also noticed that in the west there's not as much.

This magazine's study parameters are somewhat flawed, what with counting the number of fitness centers and fast food restaurants in the phone book to decide which city is fattest. I refuse to pay $50 a month for a gym membership, when I live right next to miles of biking trails and Memorial Park. The money I have saved on gyms has purchased 2 bicycles, one road bike, and one mountain bike. So, does not going to a gym make me fat?

That being said, Duke University tried to quantify the most obese cities a few years back by conducting actual research. The resulting list made me feel I was doomed to a life of fighting fat. The number one city for obesity was Winston-Salem, NC, my hometown (17 years). Number 2 was Fort Worth, where I lived for 8 years. Fourth, was Houston, my home for 20 years.

It was almost enough to make me choke on my pizza!

haha! :D

but i agree...studies are flawed. many people don't take the time to see what is actually being "measured."

and there is so much to do outside in houston that i have not thought twice about staying away from gyms

This magazine's study parameters are somewhat flawed, what with counting the number of fitness centers and fast food restaurants in the phone book to decide which city is fattest. I refuse to pay $50 a month for a gym membership, when I live right next to miles of biking trails and Memorial Park. The money I have saved on gyms has purchased 2 bicycles, one road bike, and one mountain bike. So, does not going to a gym make me fat?

That being said, Duke University tried to quantify the most obese cities a few years back by conducting actual research. The resulting list made me feel I was doomed to a life of fighting fat. The number one city for obesity was Winston-Salem, NC, my hometown (17 years). Number 2 was Fort Worth, where I lived for 8 years. Fourth, was Houston, my home for 20 years.

I see a trend here Red, I am beginning to believe it is all your fault, now Pass the Pizza my fellow porker !

So what you're really saying is that you're one greedy son-of-a-gun?!?!

:)

So houston and houston, you think it's just a bunch of propaganda by 24 hour fitness to get the fatties through the door or what ?

No, it's just a bunch of propaganda to sell Men's Fitness magazines. Pure and simple.

And I can think of no better demonstration of how miserably lazy our news organizations are... they get this ridiculously flawed study from Mens Fitness every year and breathlessly report its results without the slightest bit of analysis, context, or criticism. The "study" may show some interesting things; what it does NOT show is which city has the fattest people.

• 1 month later...
I was pretty overwhelmed by what I saw in San Antonio last weekend.

I believe there was a government report (which I give a lot more credit on the methodology front than Men's Fitness - who said a couple of years ago that Houston was in Howard County, TX! :wacko: ) that mentioned the typical resident of San Antonio was more overweight than residents of any other major U.S. city. I believe it after what I saw.

I have only visited Denver briefly so I cannot comment on that city but I live in San Diego and outside of its, ahem, glamor areas in the regular 'hoods and shopping areas...it's comparatively as fat as Houston. It has the same bad habits: car culture, love of fast food, etc.

Houston we need not comment on but there are a lot of overweight people out here in San Diego. We simply think too much of SD's stereotyped image because of the hardbodies that are seen.