New Townhomes On Stanford

dbigtex56

Dec. 29, 2005, 9:09PM

Moneymakers: Francois deMenil

Townhomes with a bit of levity

Nancy Sarnoff

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Francois deMenil, the New York-based architect and son of distinguished art patron the late Dominique de Menil, is designing his first townhome project in his native Houston.

Located on Stanford Street in Montrose, the contemporary project consists of two townhomes built on an elevated site connected by a plaza with underground parking. Priced at between $850,000 and $890,000, the homes are being developed by emerging local developer Carol Isaak Barden.

Link to full article

That Nancy!

Always has some of the best articles in the Chron.

Does anyone know where on Stanford these townhomes are being built? Any observations as to how they'll relate to the surrounding neighborhood?

maybe near stanford and w dallas? or maybe just south of w gray? stanford runs from 59 to allen parkway though...

"We believe in what Carol is trying to do, which is to give value to design and deliver better-designed spaces that people will have happier lives in and feel better in in the speculative real estate market."

that's nice and all, even if it is truly eliti$t

most, if not all of the homes along stanford are not in that price range i thought

Edited by sevfiv

What do you mean, eliti$t? They are keeping prices under $1mil, for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to call this project elitist; and I'm also aware that I'm also a tad...oh, what's the word? envious.

That people who can afford to would shell out the bucks to live in a small(er) building of good design in a close-in neighborhood makes their wealth more bearable (IMO) than the Mega-Mansion dwellers on the Katy Prairie.

If they must flaunt it, at least they're doing it with style.

"Located on Stanford Street in Montrose, the contemporary project consists of two townhomes built on an elevated site connected by a plaza with underground parking."

An elevated site. I wonder if they'll be creating an elevation artificially? And the underground parking for 4 cars is not a cheap element.

Sounds like these will be unique homes that will be admired for decades to come. It's about time the townhouse graduated from the elementary designs being slapped up everywhere.

the project is at 608 stanford, which is just south of allen parkway.

there are renderings and more information on barden's site: www.carolisaakbarden.com, under "current projects."

both units have 500+ sqft roof decks :)

aye, between w. dallas and stanford.

there used to be a centerpoint energy parking lot over there (the lot is still there, just no cars)

it is across the street from my house, so i'm glad to see something more 'asthetic' go on this property.

i just hope the drug dealers who hang out on stanford behind the elementary school will be run off.. grr

:angry2:

Cheers!

*gag me with a silver spoon*

Menil's work is pretty nice, very well thought out, although i would argue his work is overdesigned w/r/t the byzantine chapel. I also believe that many people need this type of control in their designs & that the real credit towards that project ought to be towards ove arup.

This project sounds "nice" as it makes all the typical architectural jargon. For example: save the trees, it's not a symbolic typological house, it's a composition, blah blah blah. It's good to see the real questions being asked though, like it's relative scale to surroundings and details about it's underground auto access.

After review of the model pics it's quite celar this is an object based bldg and should be heaped upon a pile of other novelty name brand homes in Houston's collection. The push-pull offset effect of the design & the mondrian placement of windows does make necessarily a composition. I'm willing to bet money it will painted white. Only the nostalgia of a modern styled building versus a prevalent hand of market force PoMo allows this bldg the title of "architecture." I'm sure it will delight it's inhabitants with it's concise views and rooftop terrace party's, but Menil better import some german construction workers to put this one up, otherwise it will look like so many other modern marvels, really fugly in 20 years!

I don't understand why such big name architects get all the lout when the truly better (i.e. innovative, specific) designs usualy go quite unnoticed...

edit: visited the cleared site this weekend, what a great site! esp in houston. They cleared all the trees except the oak on the triangular corner.

Edited by infinite_jim

I don't understand why such big name architects get all the lout when the truly better (i.e. innovative, specific) designs usualy go quite unnoticed...

So true. I was reminded of this just today when I went through the mail. There was a Happy New Year card from a small architecture firm in Austria called CoopHimmelb(l)au. The pictures of what they do with small apartment buildings and townhomes are amazing. But you never hear about them, or see them in magazines, or anything. They just do their job and innovate whenever the client allows them.

Here's a high school they're building in Los Angeles

highschool0.jpg

A movie theater in Germany

ufa0.jpg

A small apartment building in Vienna

segremise1.jpg

• 1 year later...
"Located on Stanford Street in Montrose, the contemporary project consists of two townhomes built on an elevated site connected by a plaza with underground parking."

An elevated site. I wonder if they'll be creating an elevation artificially? And the underground parking for 4 cars is not a cheap element.

Sounds like these will be unique homes that will be admired for decades to come. It's about time the townhouse graduated from the elementary designs being slapped up everywhere.

I went by Francois DeMenils Stanford townhomes yesterday during their open house. It does evoke a change in the traditional townhomes being developed all over the inner loop. But that is partially due to the strategic location and elevation of the property. DeMenil capitalizes on the slopes and triangular shaped corner lot to embed the large garages inside the land. Though the garage doors are single car, they both open up to a huge open spaced garage that has a basement type feel.

A couple comments on the common area entry plaza and minimalistic design, the entry doors are well positioned so they arent directly across from each other, but the stairwell windows lend a wide open view into the bedroom of the the adjacent unit.

As for energy efficiency, the 4th floor stairwells are going to be very hot with all the windows, since the return air ducts are on the 3rd floor. The downtown view from corner unit is phenomenal, but the view from the other unit is pretty much obscured by Channel 11 and the corner unit.

Asking prices are $890K - $925K

• 1 year later...

Hopefully the success of this project will inspire other townhome developers to design with style as well (after all, many developers are just businessmen trying to replicate and capitalize on a successful product).

This could be a turning point in the style and quality of product being brought to the market.

They were charging more. The price has come down quite a bit since they were first listed. I want to say the more expensive one started at $995,000 and the other one in the $970s.

Just a few months ago, I saw it on HAR.com listed for just below $800,000 and it sold this summer. I live just around the corner from it. Stunning home! I'm almost tempted just to randomly knock on the door and ask for a tour. :P