New Photos From Tulsa

I was in Tulsa this week on business, and took these pictures. Tulsa is full of beautiful art-deco architecture, but unfortunately I had limited free time. Still, I got some good pictures. These are some of the better ones.

DTNight.jpg

Downtown Tulsa at Night

DT2.jpg

Downtown Tulsa at Twilight

ElevatorLobby-MidcontinentTower.jpg

Elevator Lobby in Midcontinent Tower

MidcontinentMainLobby.jpg

Main Lobby in Midcontinent Tower

MidcontinentClock.jpg

Midcontinent Tower Clock

StatehoodClock.jpg

Oklahoma Statehood Centennial Clock (1907-2007)

BostonAveMethodist.jpg

Boston Avenue Methodist Church

TrinityEpis.jpg

Trinity Episcopal Church

FBC.jpg

First Baptist Church

ORUHands.jpg

Entrance to Oral Roberts University - Giant Praying Hands

• 3 weeks later...
Tulsa is full of beautiful art-deco architecture

Wish I could quote a source, but I remember reading (somewhere) that there were only three cities where one could find many examples of great mid-1930's architecture.

New York, Houston and Tulsa.

How unfortunate that so many Streamline/Moderne buildings in Houston have disappeared in the past 25 years.

• 1 month later...

Damage control...

First of all, it is "litted". And Chris, that cam, of every single cam on every single local affiliate's webpage, is the cruddiest I've ever seen. Channel 2's offices are in Brookside, and would be much better used by panning down lovely Peoria Avenue.

And, Miami has the most art deco of any city in the world. Tulsa is in 2nd. Bartlesville, OK, a small metro 50 miles north of Tulsa, is home to Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper. I did not know Houston was renowned for art deco, as an ex-Houstonian.

And for those curious who owns the Bank of Texas, it's none other than BOk Financial.

Damage control...

snip

And, Miami has the most art deco of any city in the world. Tulsa is in 2nd. Bartlesville, OK, a small metro 50 miles north of Tulsa, is home to Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper. I did not know Houston was renowned for art deco, as an ex-Houstonian.

A few things...

Cityplex Towers is the ex-City of Faith hospital built by Oral Roberts in the early 80's. It got moderate notoriety at the time because it was way more hospital than the demographics of Tulsa would support, and also because of Oral's extravagant claims during the fund raising. I don't remember exactly what they were but I'll bet someone does. The "Praying Hands" statue used to be in front of City of Faith; guess they were moved to the University. I've heard that if you climb on them the campus police will chase you away. Also speaking of Oral Roberts University, it's well worth googling just because of the extremely 60's modern architecture of several of the larger buildings. People who wanted to speak derogatorily of the place would use the term "Disneyland" or "Tomorrowland." Here's a small photo, you can find more with google.

http://www.ncate.org/images/listinstit/ins...ralRobertsU.jpg

Bartlesville, OK is also where Bruce Goff worked for a long time. He was a 50's organic architect who taught at the University of Oklahoma. His stuff is pretty extreme; he has one house in the Memorial area near the former Mitchell mansion. Again, google is your friend.

http://www.narrowlarry.com/nlgoff2.html

Marty

• 2 weeks later...

IMO i think that many of the buildings at ORU are really really really heinously fugly *10^24(1 whole mole of fuglyness!), but tulsa's neat old downtown counteracts this negative vibe.

I bet some of you are big fans of that sixties stuff and i know houston was big in that time but eww. me no likey

I've heard that if you climb on them the campus police will chase you away.

:lol:

• 5 weeks later...
IMO i think that many of the buildings at ORU are really really really heinously fugly *10^24(1 whole mole of fuglyness!), but tulsa's neat old downtown counteracts this negative vibe.

I bet some of you are big fans of that sixties stuff and i know houston was big in that time but eww. me no likey

:lol:

Hiya, folks....okay, there's an urban legend about thse huge praying hands at ORU. As the story goes, each hand were built seperately for some reason, and when the time came to erect the statute and put the parts together, they couldn't get the hands to stay together. They tried many things, but the hands wouldn't stay together. Finally, someone came up with an idea and dropped an one-dollar bill in between the hands. Right away, the hands closed together, just the way they were supposed to be.

-- Angeli, former Tulsan

Hiya, folks....okay, there's an urban legend about thse huge praying hands at ORU. As the story goes, each hand were built seperately for some reason, and when the time came to erect the statute and put the parts together, they couldn't get the hands to stay together. They tried many things, but the hands wouldn't stay together. Finally, someone came up with an idea and dropped an one-dollar bill in between the hands. Right away, the hands closed together, just the way they were supposed to be.

-- Angeli, former Tulsan

Hahaha. Probably more like a $100 bill though!

• 3 weeks later...

They must have been Oral Roberts' hands.

goff-pol1.jpg

The address that site showed for this house would be somewhere right around the Mosteller and May Avenue intersection in OKC, and I've never, ever seen this house anywhere around there. Must be one of those really well-hidden mansions in the Nichols Hills area.

Oh and I don't know where someone gets off comparing Tulsa (woodlands and hills) to Midland (a flat, dry prairie) but to each their own I guess.

cam3.jpg

This cam someone posted a link to, I think, would be somewhere around Yale and 71st. Ahh 71st and Hell, I love it. That cam should pointed at the roads and then it would really be useful for something. But avoiding that part of town is pretty much a given anyway...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i attended ORU in 83 and 84. oral roberts is a very kind man. he drove an old brown or orange (can't remember) impala around campus.

the "city of faith" as it was called then had recently been completed. the complex was bigger than tulsa demographics required for a reason. oral roberts believed that people would come from around the world to seek medical help that honored science and faith. one goal of the city of faith was to be a medical research and educational institution. another goal was to sponsor international medical teams (doctors, nurses and surgeons) to donate time hitting hot spots around the globe where medicine and medical attention were needed.

unfortunately, good intentions and faith should never ignore reality. good intentions and faith without a mindful dose of reality will usually result in bankruptcy and/or begging for money. i figure that statement works on the macro or micro level.

Archived