Channel 2 Screws Up Yet Another Story

Jeebus

If nothing else, Channel 2 can be relied on to provide a laugh or two.

This afternoon they reported a fire "in Midtown, at the corner of Van Buren and Peden."

Last time I checked, that's still Montrose. Not by any stretch of the imagination could it be called Midtown.

But this comes as no surprise. As reported on another thread, Channel 2 reported that New Year's Eve festivities would be held downtown, and a star would rise on the Binz Building "at the corner of Main and Prescott Street". Huh? Where's Prescott Street? There's Preston.... I reported the error, and they thanked me for pointing it out. However, that didn't stop them from cheerfully repeating the error on a later broadcast. And, as RedScare correctly pointed out, the Binz Building is at the corner of Texas, not Preston. And certainly not Prescott.

It reminds me of an episode on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, when they discovered that their higher ratings were due to people tuning in just to laugh at Ted Baxter's bumbling. Channel 2 remains a joke.

If nothing else, Channel 2 can be relied on to provide a laugh or two.

It reminds me of an episode on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, when they discovered that their higher ratings were due to people tuning in just to laugh at Ted Baxter's bumbling. Channel 2 remains a joke.

:lol::lol::lol:

Followup:

I called Channel 2 to let them know that Van Buren and Peden are in MONTROSE, not MIDTOWN. They thanked me.

And on the 5 o'clock broadcast they changed the story. Now it's a fire in West Houston, in the Midtown area.

What bozos!

I think that's what they were going for on channel 2 when, before the commerical break, they decided the anchor should say something like "News 2 Houston continues for Katy, Kemah, and Kingwood." I always thought that was kinda cheesy.

But of course! They live for cheesy. :D

Let's help them out: "Local 2 will continue with news for the O'Malleys, the Jeffersons, the Goldsteins and the Garcias..."

Followup:

I called Channel 2 to let them know that Van Buren and Peden are in MONTROSE, not MIDTOWN. They thanked me.

And on the 5 o'clock broadcast they changed the story. Now it's a fire in West Houston, in the Midtown area.

What bozos!

Hey - I used to live in a townhome at the corner of Peden and Van Buren - what burned ????

Hey - I used to live in a townhome at the corner of Peden and Van Buren - what burned ????

According to Channel 2 (and consider the source) it was a business. The video accompanying the story showed a small one-story gray and white house with smoke coming out of the roof. Not sure if it's a total loss.

I stopped watching Channel 2 after their sell-out to Post-Newsweek. UGH--the format is the same in at least three cities where I used to travel. In fact, all of the anchors looked the same. It was sorta unsettling. :lol:

Did I mention Frank B. hooked up with my old boss? It was interesting, he actually left his wife and kid for him. I don't know if they are still together or not. But, ya didn't hear it from me :lol:

Last night a couple was murdered in their townhome on Floyd St @ Leverkuhn St. They reported the story as happening in the Heights, and again reported from "Southwest Houston".

Here's the link: KPRC Story

As a sidenote - what neighborhood would that actually be considered? Its too far east of Rice Military, just west of 6th Ward, and just north of River Oaks. Anyone?

In reporting the funeral services for one of the victims, today Channel 2's 5pm news broadcast stated that the couple was slain outside of their "downtown townhome". :blink:

QUOTE(Jeebus @ Thursday, December 22nd, 2005 @ 6:43pm)

Last night a couple was murdered in their townhome on Floyd St @ Leverkuhn St. They reported the story as happening in the Heights, and again reported from "Southwest Houston".

Here's the link: KPRC Story

As a sidenote - what neighborhood would that actually be considered? Its too far east of Rice Military, just west of 6th Ward, and just north of River Oaks. Anyone?

We used to call that the West End.

If the reporters would be better and more specific about identifying particular neighborhoods, it could help folks have a better/greater sense of community to where these neighborhoods would eventually be more easliy recognized.

When i tell folks I live in Midtown, many are like...is that near downtown or something? In other large cities that I lived in, areas liek this are much more easily recognized. It seems the only two neighborhoods many folks seem to know is that Montrose and The Heights are "inside the loop". And most dont even know there are 5(i think) areas in the Heights for that matter. Knowing The Heights is however suffiecient, but cmon, how about Near Town, Rice Military, Greater East End, Upper Kirby, etc... Most have no clue as to there existence let alone where they may be. It is shame that folks here do not have a greater sense of community in this town.

I know it is not widely used but there are still quite a few people who don't know what area is referred to as Uptown.

In reporting the funeral services for one of the victims, today Channel 2's 5pm news broadcast stated that the couple was slain outside of their "downtown townhome". :blink:

Yeah they do that a lot. Sometimes when they have the reporter's name and the location under their name it can say downtown houston, eventhough they are reporting in front of single family home bungalows. If they are reporting in Fifth Ward sometimes it just says near downtown houston and it is rural lke a mofo.

I stopped watching Channel 2 after their sell-out to Post-Newsweek. UGH--the format is the same in at least three cities where I used to travel. In fact, all of the anchors looked the same. It was sorta unsettling. :lol:

The "format" they're trying to copy was started at WSVN/Miami, a Fox station. There's a few dozen other stations around the country all trying to be them, and they all suck. Of course, the original sucks as well and is considered a joke in both broadcasting and journalism circles. So KPRC is trying to be a better joke, I guess.

The "format" they're trying to copy was started at WSVN/Miami, a Fox station. There's a few dozen other stations around the country all trying to be them, and they all suck. Of course, the original sucks as well and is considered a joke in both broadcasting and journalism circles. So KPRC is trying to be a better joke, I guess.

Not trying to pin you down, editor - but what is the format?

Correct me whenever I'm wrong; if it's violent, and easy to understand, it leads.

Complex issues should be avoided ("You might alienate some viewers!")

Warm -n- fuzzy counts. So do diet tips. Pets and children are of the utmost importance.

And how about that local sports team!

Not trying to pin you down, editor - but what is the format?

Correct me whenever I'm wrong; if it's violent, and easy to understand, it leads.

Complex issues should be avoided ("You might alienate some viewers!")

Warm -n- fuzzy counts. So do diet tips. Pets and children are of the utmost importance.

And how about that local sports team!

I suppose that the hotest story would be about the Texan's mascot poodle gets run-over in River Oaks by a woman on her way to Jennie Craig.

Archived