Pop-unders

editor

Pop-Unders for the Unregistered  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should unregistered users be subjected to pop-unders?

• Yes - encourgae them to register.
    • No - it sets a bad precedent.
    • Yes - make those who don't participate carry a heavier load.
    • No - it won't matter anyway.
    • Doesn't really matter to me.

So I've been thinking about the problem we (and every other forum on the planet) have with hundreds of people visiting HAIF each day, but not participating. I'd like to transform a lot of the lurkers into participants, and I think that if people registered they would be more likely to post replies and take an interest in the development of HAIF.

One thing I'm considering is subjecting unregistered members to pop-under ads. Not a horrifying ammount like at other sites. Just one a week, or every three days or so, and a reminder that if they'd register they could avoid the pop-unders altogether.

As I'd like this web site to be as community-oriented as possible, I'm asking for everyone's input on this.

Is this a good carrot-and-stick approach, or is it a slippery slope to the Dark Side?

You might get some people by placing "skip this ad by registering" pages. They would pop-up randomly when guest click on certain thread topics to view the posts. I've registered a few sites this way to avoid those types of pop-ups.

I'm not sure it would be effective. More people might register, but they still might not participate.

I'm working with the theory that if people can just hit a "reply" button instead of going through a registration in order to reply, they might participate more. Of course, it's just a theory. Like the one that people might actually use the new "Tell A Friend" feature at the bottom of the main page.

personally, i have never responded to a pop up or a pop under. i'm annoyed by them. the blog function mentioned in another thread may inspire more people to participate than a pop under (IMO).

I think annoyance is the point. If they register, the pops go away.

It's starting to sound like this was a bad idea.

• 2 years later...

There is a big chunk of people who use the internet like TV. They watch, but they rarely contribute. No annoyance is going to change their habits.

Perhaps if we taunt them a few will speak up. You horrid people who use the internet like TV. I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper!

There is a big chunk of people who use the internet like TV. They watch, but they rarely contribute. No annoyance is going to change their habits.

Perhaps if we taunt them a few will speak up. You horrid people who use the internet like TV. I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper!

p.s.

you kids get off his lawn.

I've had something of a change in philosophy since I posted that original message three years ago. I no longer feel it's appropriate to annoy people into contributing. I think now that if HAIF annoys people, they'll just go someplace less annoying.

I'd love to have every one of the 30,000 or so daily visitors post a message. But I can't force them. The world is full of producers and consumers. Some people are happy just sitting back and absorbing things. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's up to me to provide a stimulating environment that can turn those consumers into participants. That's the challenge I face. And it's part of the diversification of HAIF. Not everyone will feel comfortable posting on HAIF. But they might be a huge Facebook fan. So, they can choose to interact with HAIF via that channel. Or maybe they're someone who likes to take pictures, but maybe isn't comfortable posting them on HAIF where they're subject to criticism. They can post them in the HAIF Flickr group.

For the ultimately shy, there's the blog function. What's great about the blogs is that you, as an author, have total control. You can write what you want and choose whether or not to let people post comments. So if you're afraid of being attacked by some griefer, you can simply turn comments off. Or choose to only display the comments you want. It's like having your own tiny personal HAIF that you control.

Again, it's my mission these days to reach the people of Houston via HAIF. And as diverse as Houston is, I have to diversify HAIF to reach all of those people. Because if there's one thing that HAIF has demonstrated over the last seven years it's that the more of us that interact, the better the conversation is, and the stronger our community grows.

Archived