Citizen Bank At 401 W. Texas Ave.

sevfiv

does anyone know the history or any details about this building? it very distinct, and about a block away from the brunson and a couple other architecturally interesting buildings...it is located on w. texas avenue at n. jones st. in baytown:

bay001.jpg

bay002.jpg

If memory serves me...

I believe that it was the Citizen Savings and Loan Building...to go with Citizens Bank that was right across the side street...next to the Brunson (you can see it in your second pic) I don't know any other details about it though. I lived in Baytown for a good number of years so do have a little bit of memory of things there.

• Like 1

Yep, that is Citizen's. They abandonded the building after they built the 6 story building on Garth. Another bank, I think it was called Texas First tried to move in there, but it just couldn't survive with the way that side of town was just shutting down.

Sev, if you want to take some picutres of historical value, snap a few of the Trophy Barbershop, it is just down the road there.Take some inside photos also. You will be in awe, but you might also be sad, if you don't like hunting.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

Sev, if you want to take some picutres of historical value, snap a few of the Trophy Barbershop, it is just down the road there.Take some inside photos also. You will be in awe, but you might also be sad, if you don't like hunting.

Trophy is pretty amazing. definately a good spot for a kids first haircut. i think its on the corner of 1st and Texas. i guess it's still open.

There are still a few nice buildings left on Texas ave.

I would like to see it come back as something...but everything in Baytown is moving north fast...faster than it ever has.

sevfiv,

so what do you go to baytown for every week?

Edited by gnu

thanks TJ and Gnu for the suggestions

a good friend of mine lives (and grew up) in baytown, so he knows of neat places to go around there, plus, it's all new to me! :)

ahhhh...i thought you went for "work" :P

• 6 months later...
thanks TJ and Gnu for the suggestions

a good friend of mine lives (and grew up) in baytown, so he knows of neat places to go around there, plus, it's all new to me! :)

I mistook this building for that Bank of the Southwest that used to be in downtown Houston. But with all of the mergers and name changes, there's no way of knowing what it's called now.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Citizen Savings and Loan Bank On West Texas Ave.
  • The title was changed to Citizen Bank At 401 W. Texas Ave.