My Dream Home Goes On The Market

midtown 4.2

I've been keeping my eye on this home for years. Now, it's finally on the market . . . and I'm half a million dollars short! Oh well, just my luck.

http://www.gunn.net/delano.htm

I swear I'm not promoting this site, it's just the only place that has nice interior shots.

Anyone have $500K they can loan me interest free for thirty years?

Looks like an abandonded "Big Brother" house. :D

• 5 weeks later...
Wow! Thanks midtown 4.2! You have re-kindled my dream to build a house instead of buying a cookie cutter house... Now I just need to find some reasonably priced land! Say under $30k...

There's lots of land in your price range in far west Houston. I think they call it "Midland." :P

Wow! Thanks midtown 4.2! You have re-kindled my dream to build a house instead of buying a cookie cutter house... Now I just need to find some reasonably priced land! Say under $30k...

You can find lots in that price range on the East End. In fact, there is a very interesting house that was featured in Dwell magazine on Curtin St. just east of Dumble, I think. Maybe 4900 block. He completely redesigned an existing house.

You can find lots in that price range on the East End. In fact, there is a very interesting house that was featured in Dwell magazine on Curtin St. just east of Dumble, I think. Maybe 4900 block. He completely redesigned an existing house.

I drove by that house one day while out and about looking around. It was definetly a surprise. I thought he built it completely from scratch....

I drove by that house one day while out and about looking around. It was definetly a surprise. I thought he built it completely from scratch....

I thought he kept the shell but you could be right. Too bad I can't find any interior photos of it online anymore, he really made it quite unique and beautiful.

I think as long as money continues to flow back into the city and the slummy areas continue to get gentrified, we'll see more and more of these art-homes as "creative class" alternatives to the production townhome and generic McMansion. There's a really interesting one going up in 1st Ward that I'll take a picture off.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this house out in the direction of the Maxwell House plant? With a really cool sliding door on the side with a greenish color door of wooden 'planks' (I can't think of the term for this...)

If so, I read about it in the Chronicle months back, which prompted us to seek it out. Here is the link to the Chronicle article.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_3876294

Edited by rocketgirl24

Agreed !

That house is far from earth friendly.

It uses a lot of those halogen spotlights that look great, but use a LOT of energy for their size and light output ! That and lots of tall ceilings with little to no insulation, its going to add up.

Beautiful house though regardless.

Is this house out in the direction of the Maxwell House plant? With a really cool sliding door on the side with a greenish color door of wooden 'planks' (I can't think of the term for this...)

If so, I read about it in the Chronicle months back, which prompted us to seek it out. Here is the link to the Chronicle article.

That's the one we're talkin about.

Yep, that's the one. And jm1fd was right, he built it from scratch.

These custom creations are great inspirations that hopefully will get people's creative juices flowing. Not everyone has the desire for something completely unique nor the patience to see the project through from beginning to end, but these are true alternatives to the uninspired new construction going up everywhere.

Plus, as the East end guy did, there are a lot of demolitions going on where there is reusable lumber and other building material that can be had with a little negotiating. I'm planning on building a garage apt. circa 1935 out of scrap lumber. I've got a lot so far; sinks, toilet, complete set of 1930s doors, some lumber, all free.