I too used to go to Playland park. We also went to the stock car races in the back. My dad and I was there that fateful night in 1959 when a car crashed through the fence during the time trials killing three people outside the entrance near the concession stand, We were only about a minute from being at that very spot. As a couple of you mentioned the fortune teller. She was creepy as all get out and I avoided her like the plague.

That night marked the end to Playland Park one of the people that was killed that night was the owner of Playland. It closed not to long after his death. I too used to go there with my dad to watch the car racing, A.J. Foyt raced there then moved on to race at Meyer's Speedway.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

In 1940 Playland Park was opened on South Main south of OST & South Main intersection. Playland Park had a race track. When I was 9 yo I watched AJ Foyt race there in the late 50s. Could be the race track your talking about.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Playland Park At 9200 South Main St.
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some Playland Park articles and advertisements from random newspapers.

What I found cool is they had a dancing venue called "Venetian Grove".  Must have been so cool! I believe I saw that there was a complete list of attractions, rides, food vendors, games, etc.  I'll have to find that list.

I wonder how many rides, or roller coasters, there was?

hLsksP5.png

02iBFHI.png

rk0cDOO.png

BcquAcP.png

• 3 months later...

There was no stadium other than the racetrack. What's shown on the map is the grandstand seating around the racetrack.

One of my uncles was a big fan of the stock car races. He took me and the son of his best friend to the races there many times. For years afterward, he claimed that one or the other of us would inevitably have to go to the bathroom on the last lap. 😅

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

That Warwick sign was there for many years after 1945.

Note the extra-wide esplanade. As you drove north toward OST, the west side of South Main became noticeably higher than the east side. That wasn't rectified until years later.

Edited by Dave W
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...