The Sports Authority

actually they sold out to Gart Sports in 2001, but Gart let them keep their name. then Gart merged with Sports Authority (which i thought was from Colorado??), who wants to create a national name.

so bye bye Oshman's, a little sad since i used to work there in high school.

actually they sold out to Gart Sports in 2001, but Gart let them keep their name. then Gart merged with Sports Authority (which i thought was from Colorado??), who wants to create a national name.

so bye bye Oshman's, a little sad since i used to work there in high school.

Gart's was from Colorado. Sports Authority is from Fort Lauderdale.

• 1 month later...

I hope the new owners change the SPORTS AUTHORITY signs. They are hideously ugly. The two SA stores nearest me, Memorial City and Royal Oaks, never have any business. I have been in both lately and there were only about three employees and no other customers beside me. I never notice over five or six cars in their parking areas. The stores are huge and loaded with merchandise; I don't see how they can be making any profit. Academy stores always seem to be busy.

I hope the new owners change the SPORTS AUTHORITY signs. They are hideously ugly. The two SA stores nearest me, Memorial City and Royal Oaks, never have any business. I have been in both lately and there were only about three employees and no other customers beside me. I never notice over five or six cars in their parking areas. The stores are huge and loaded with merchandise; I don't see how they can be making any profit. Academy stores always seem to be busy.

i definitely noticed that about the royal oaks location (which was the closest store to me before i moved out to fm1960).

i bought several items from them, but NEVER noticed other customers in the store. i thought perhaps it was because i was hitting it at off hours, but now that you mention it, i wonder if it was a trend. the weird thing is that they should be getting rolicking business simply because of their location, but i think it's because they sit so far back (kinda behind that JITB) and are really not noticed all that much from the street.

Archived