I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

On 4/30/2024 at 1:00 PM, mattyt36 said:

With the State government clearly in the "Punish the City of Houston and Harris County" mode these days and now having Whitmire as a stooge in City Hall, the more cynical side of me wonders if they will find a way to prevent the caps from being built even if the funding is available.  

OH WELL.  Thanks to those who hated SJL so much they voted for that guy!  Deja vu, 2016!

You're welcome.  Times two.

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 12:02 AM, august948 said:

You're welcome.  Times two.

thanks for quoting Matty36, I wouldn't have seen his post otherwise. 

his comment is just hilarious. many of us have been saying over and over, until someone comes forward and commits their money into the cap parks, we should expect no cap parks.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

thanks for quoting Matty36, I wouldn't have seen his post otherwise. 

his comment is just hilarious. many of us have been saying over and over, until someone comes forward and commits their money into the cap parks, we should expect no cap parks.

Ah, sammy, not how things work (no surprise there). 

No sense in committing funds to a project at this stage of the game.

"We're going to commit funding to a cap park for a highway project that may be built 5+ years from now at best."  (I know, these things can be complex.)

By this same standard, even TxDOT hasn't committed funding to the NHHIP.  Sure, there is a multiyear plan, with an estimated cost, and funding sources on paper, but you can rest assured (1) they're not committed and (2) that they will change.   

Why not do a survey of every cap park that has been built of late and note when the funding commitment was announced?  

I think "planned" is the word you're looking for.  And, as has been beaten to death, it's been planned for a while. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

in case anyone is confused about what it looks like when a party commits money to be used as a cap park for another project that is just as embroiled in controversy....

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2024-05-10/ut-pledges-13-5-million-to-cover-i-35-from-dean-keeton-to-15th-street

$14 million towards and $800 million project for designBut don't let details get in the way!

Besides, as our new Mayor has shown us, even when funds are committed for transportation projects . . . it doesn't mean anything!

For reference, here's what freeway caps look like elsewhere.  I picked a few in Seattle, because those are the ones I'm most familiar with:

(Sorry about the "crazy old man having a stroke" random text styling.  I just want to fit in with the rest of the thread.)

image.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.36.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.36.44 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.37.39 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hbg.50 said:

Klyde Warren Park in Dallas is the prototype for Houston isn't it?

image.png.c792888997be69ada42946f89584b552.png

Sub-scale prototype because I believe Houston’s will be at least twice as big. 

4 hours ago, editor said:

For reference, here's what freeway caps look like elsewhere.  I picked a few in Seattle, because those are the ones I'm most familiar with:

(Sorry about the "crazy old man having a stroke" random text styling.  I just want to fit in with the rest of the thread.)

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 8.36.19 AM.png

this is confusing.

although, I think Houston already has one.

image.png.30c42650b0942a9249698d5d324503ef.png

maybe if we give all the ROW over the below grade area to the RR we can guarantee they will be capped and put to use?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I haven't seen any design plans for NHHIP that remove existing bike trails, and I don't think that's what this means (though I assume there could be temporary impacts like with Brays at the Spur 5 extension).

Houston officials approved the sale of a slice along White Oak Bayou to state highway officials for the planned rebuild of Interstate 45, arguing the deal was inevitable and provides the best assurances a popular hiking trail will remain.

The sale, approved by City Council on Wednesday, hands the site over to the Texas Department of Transportation. The land is needed for the $11.1-billion-plus redo of I-45, near where it splits from Interstate 10. Houston is selling TxDOT a slice slightly below three acres in size for $261,000.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/council-white-oak-trail-txdot-sale-i45-rebuild-19472542.php

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Man, I am so glad that Whitmire killed or paused all those bike and brt projects and is in favor of allowing TXDOT to pave all over us again. He saved Houston!

It's hard to be optimistic about this city with the way things are going. :/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, hindesky said:

Houston officials approved the sale of a slice along White Oak Bayou to state highway officials for the planned rebuild of Interstate 45, arguing the deal was inevitable and provides the best assurances a popular hiking trail will remain.

The sale, approved by City Council on Wednesday, hands the site over to the Texas Department of Transportation. The land is needed for the $11.1-billion-plus redo of I-45, near where it splits from Interstate 10. Houston is selling TxDOT a slice slightly below three acres in size for $261,000.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/council-white-oak-trail-txdot-sale-i45-rebuild-19472542.php

maybe the college kids will go occupy that land?

• Confused 1

I saw the plumbing demo at Temenos Place II and talked with the supervisor from Alamo 1 Environmental and Remediation who will be doing the demos for TXDOT. He said they do it all including the plumbing demo, remediation if required and demolition. He said the will start taking Temenos Place II down in a couple of weeks then move across the street and take down the little shopping center that used to house Cajun Stop and several other businesses then will move to Cadillac Liquor. He told me that as TXDOT acquires properties after negotiating with the owners they will be taking down those structures too. He said Temenos Place II is only 6 years old. He also mentioned that they demolished the old Mexican Consulate on Caroline St.

https://www.alamo1.com

X4ibKEy.jpeg

djpqV7w.jpeg

Aa8A4pK.jpeg

aPs1Yqy.jpeg

EvspVvr.jpeg

k1bo7Ox.jpeg

Cajun Stop and other closed businesses.

jjK7hmG.jpeg

6viqtRS.jpeg

Cadillac Liquor.

HH4jLSv.jpeg

He said this sign isn't coming down yet but it will be.

TGrWNgz.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I forgot to mention he said the Graffiti building was already supposed to be demolished but TXDOT got pushback to keep it up as long as possible because of the murals and specifically the Floyd George mural. He didn't mention who the pushback came from but they wanted that mural saved but the supervisor said it was impossible because it was on a cinderblock wall. He said if it had been on a tilt wall they could have cut it out and saved it but not on cinder block.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is the work being done by the McGregor HEB in 3rd Ward. I talked to the supervisor before who said this is part of the IH45 realignment. This is stormwater culverts that will be running alongside 288's northbound and feed stormwater in to Brays Bayou. He told me they start here because water will travel down from a peak somewhere north of here. This is either the old or maybe the new culvert they are installing. 288 feeder northbound is shut off to traffic next to HEB and created quite a traffic nightmare. I got around it by doing the U turn further down South MacGregor and went on the east side of the HEB. Further up I saw Fugro doing core drilling along the feeder's east side.

DNIBUnP.jpeg

JfO6ObT.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The post I did a while back with the plumbing demo for several buildings have all been demolished around Austin St. and LaBranch St near the elevated section of IH69/59 that will be sunk.

Nurses Night & Day at Austin St. at Wheeler Ave. across from Smith Optical.

8FOaUfE.jpeg

9hUOAhi.jpeg

ONUZMCw.png

House at Barber St. at Austin St. A guy with a metal detector was looking for a pirate booty.

qDtle8A.jpeg

6oJQFdq.png

The Alexander the Great the old Greek Association building at Austin St at Eagle St.

SeY1u6M.jpeg

sCcwhQP.png

lLr5EKI.png

The house at LaBranch at Eagle St.

Atccxyx.jpeg

9XMuYqd.png

kmV0Qaw.png

• Like 5

Harper Brothers Construction, based in Houston, was the apparent low bidder for the job, based on a review of TxDOT’s online bid system. The company’s $121 million bid was nearly $20 million more than the state predicted the work would cost, reflective of other recent bids where construction costs have risen and consumed more of the record-setting funds that TxDOT set aside for highway building.

The upcoming work installs new drainage along St. Emanuel to Buffalo Bayou, as well as rebuilding the street.

The project is the first related to the rebuild of I-45, planned for nearly the past two decades. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/i45-rebuild-txdot-construction-drainage-19507480.php

• Like 3