Pan Handling Notice

sevfiv

City takes steps to control on-street charitable solitications, but it doesn't address panhandling.

City tightens rules on street solicitation

Those collecting money for charity can't stand in lanes, medians

By MATT STILES

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The City Council banned people Wednesday from standing on Houston medians to seek donations for charitable organizations, as part of broader regulations for such street-level solicitations.

Among many changes, the measure prevents anyone from standing in the middle of streets or walking into traffic lanes to collect money.

Charitable solicitors are still allowed to stand on curbs, sidewalks and shoulders — as long as they are within 40 feet of a traffic light and they don't step into the road to accept donations from motorists.

The council vote, which came after a lengthy debate, didn't address the thorny legal issue of panhandling, which city lawyers say is difficult to prevent without violating free speech and equal protection rights.

Link to Chronicle article

i think dbigtex was referring to possible driving habits of possible owners of said decals who may think they have special priveleges, which would then be a manipulative form of charitable giving

Thank you. That's exactly what I was referring to. If someone doesn't understand what I'm saying, allow me to elaborate.

I've lived in Houston for 25 years now. Suppose I've heard people make reference to The 100 Club four times a year during that time. That makes a hundred times.

And every single time, it's the same thing: "I consider giving to The 100 Club as money well spent", or "Hell, it's a good investment", followed by a knowing smile, a little laugh, a wink. Always. Always.

Sometimes people will even add, "If if saves me from one ticket, I'm still money ahead." Now, I've never seen anyone act that way about any other charitable contribution. "I gave to Jerry's Kids", (wink-wink). "I support breast cancer research, if you get my drift", (nudge-nudge). "I contribute to AMFAR",(tee-hee). No. Doesn't happen.

See, it's commonly understood that a "100 Club" sticker might make the difference between speeding and not-quite speeding, between running a red light or too-close-to-call. It's just a little bit of extra insurance, if you will. Other words which might fit are extortion and bribery. However, if one points that out, suddenly people assume a morally superior attitude. "Oh!" they say,"So you don't care about the widowed and orphaned family members of the brave people who put their lives on the line every day so you can be safe!" In other words, I'm suddenly a complete heartless bastard because I don't like open bribery. Keep in mind that these are the same people who were wink-winking and nudge-nudging just a moment before.

The pathetic part is that the stated goals of The 100 Club are admirable, and those who contribute for purely altruistic reasons are to be commended. Why besmirch our police officers, those who have lost spouses or parents, and those who generously support a worthy charity by allowing this sleazy fund-raising device?

TJones, you weren't blowing a gasket, apparently, you were being morally superior... (I'm guessing that includes me too.)

Aren't bribes generally done in secret, hush-hush, etc? There's not a whole lot that's secret about having a 100 Club sticker on a car. Perhaps one can think of it as the free address labels you get in return for your donation to St. Jude or Jerry's Kids. Just another perk of donating to a great cause. Sure wish I knew what that felt like! B)

Perhaps one can think of it as the free address labels you get in return for your donation to St. Jude or Jerry's Kids. Just another perk of donating to a great cause. Sure wish I knew what that felt like! B)

So, you are saying that you DO use the sticker in hopes of convincing a police officer to violate his oath by not giving you the citation....in addition to your altruistic motives?

That sure sounds a lot like bigtex' post. Specifically, this one:

"See, it's commonly understood that a "100 Club" sticker might make the difference between speeding and not-quite speeding, between running a red light or too-close-to-call. It's just a little bit of extra insurance, if you will."

So, you are saying that you DO use the sticker in hopes of convincing a police officer to violate his oath by not giving you the citation....in addition to your altruistic motives?

That sure sounds a lot like bigtex' post. Specifically, this one:

"See, it's commonly understood that a "100 Club" sticker might make the difference between speeding and not-quite speeding, between running a red light or too-close-to-call. It's just a little bit of extra insurance, if you will."

Kinda like how lawyers do plea bargains all the time ain't it ? I try not to violate laws in the first place that would put me in a position of being morally corrupt . I don't expect to get out of a ticket for having the sticker. I do hope that it will show an officer that I support them and I won't be a dillweed and give attitude to him if I do get pulled over. Which is what the majority of people give them ;)

Let me make it clear though, I know full well that having a sticker can be the difference in a ticket sometimes, but it ain't all the time. I actually know enough officers that I might be able to call in a favor if I got a ticket, but I wouldn't rely on the sticker, or any connections I might have, getting me out of one.

Archived