Will Commuter Rail Be The Real Boom For Galveston?

One thing that is keeping me from moving to the island is the long commute from Galveston to central Houston and I am sure this is true for many people that want to reside in Galveston or simply visit Galveston on the regular. If the plans for commuter rail surface in the future, do you think the island will be in for a small popualtion boom. Will those people who have vacation homes in the historic districts and the new beach communities in Galveston find home there permanently?

In my opinion, Galveston has a qulity of life and lifestlye that Houston cannot match at the moment and I know several friends who are urban enthusiast would like to make a retreat to the island. Even some of the new beach communites in Galveston such as Pointe West and Beachtown offer this. As far as my original question, what do you think? I just hope that Galveston can handle a boom that will not follow the sprawl patterns of Houston. So far, I think they are dong a great job.

Edited by WesternGulf

I think it goes the other way, too.

I would have visited Galveston more often if there was a better way to get there. There were days when the weather was nice, but I didn't want to fight traffic so I ended up staying in Houston. If I could have taken a train I would have spent my money there instead of staying home.

I think WesternGulf and the editor's comments show two ways that commuter rail could be a boon for Galveston, both in increased local tourism and Houston workers commuting from the island. I sold my lots in Galveston last year when I realized there was no realistic way to commute without driving...and I was not about to drive 58 miles to downtown Houston.

The moment METRO starts working on a Clear Lake line, Galveston needs to jump on designing an extension to the island. It would be the biggest boost for the island in years.

The auto. That's all. The didn't build I-45 for nada.

It killed the daily trips from Galveston to Ft. Worth to Chicago. Yes DAILY trips.

The Texas Limited in the 80s did fine, but the shared ROW, or lack thereof, eventually killed the deal.

But they do have the train that you can see.

The ONLY way this could work is to build a new RR track.

58 miles to downtown Houston

I have an old co-worker who drive from Galveton to BMC EVERY day.

You'd be surprised what people are willing to drive for $$.

The auto. That's all. The didn't build I-45 for nada.

I am still kind of confused but are you saying taking a vehicle to Galveston is more convenient that taking a commuter train? I know this isn't the late 19th century but alternatives in transportation are still around and quite useful.

It killed the daily trips from Galveston to Ft. Worth to Chicago. Yes DAILY trips.
This must be way before my time.
The Texas Limited in the 80s did fine, but the shared ROW, or lack thereof, eventually killed the deal.

The Texas Limited? Is that the yellow train that went from Houston to Galveston that closed down about a decade ago?

But they do have the train that you can see.
I am assuming you are talking about the RR Museum again.
The ONLY way this could work is to build a new RR track.

Isn't that the plan to place commuter rail on old tracks from Houston to Galveston, albeit I do not know what tracks they are speaking of?

Isn't that the plan to place commuter rail on old tracks from Houston to Galveston, albeit I do not know what tracks they are speaking of?

Hes probably saying the single track isnt enough to support both freight and passenger traffic which is true. However most rail traffic from Houston to Galveston and Texas City seems to follow the BNSF track down Highway 6 because of the sheer amount of at-grade crossings along Highway 3.

Most trains along the UP run at night or at off-times during the day.

I think it goes the other way, too.

I would have visited Galveston more often if there was a better way to get there. There were days when the weather was nice, but I didn't want to fight traffic so I ended up staying in Houston. If I could have taken a train I would have spent my money there instead of staying home.

if they do build a commuter line, will it be weekdays only like the commuter busses?

the cruise lines could get involved, being able to get people from hobby to the cruise terminals on a relatively fast train would help them out.

Yes, the last daily trip was in the late 60s. They have a reprint of the article at the museum.

The Texas Limitied is that yellow train. All the trains are kinda ratty, but I hear the museum just got a new executive director, and he's focused on raising funds.

Our 2 y/o LOVED riding in the front with the conductor. It was pretty cool.