West 11th Street Park At 2400 W. 11th St.

HeightsGuy

I don't know if this has been discussed yet in this forum, but it is looking more and more that the HISD land on 11th near Timbergrove will become a park after all. When the story broke a few years back that Timbergrove had protested HISD's idea for building the new HSPVA campus there, I was sad that wouldn't be happening thinking HSPVA would be a great fit for the general area. That said, news that it may become an actual park is very good news.

Urban Forest Will Stay Put Under New Deal

I don't know if this has been discussed yet in this forum, but it is looking more and more that the HISD land on 11th near Timbergrove will become a park after all. When the story broke a few years back that Timbergrove had protested HISD's idea for building the new HSPVA campus there, I was sad that wouldn't be happening thinking HSPVA would be a great fit for the general area. That said, news that it may become an actual park is very good news.

Urban Forest Will Stay Put Under New Deal

Great news. Don't understand why they would protest a HSPVA though.

• 10 months later...

Everyone on this forum has always been very helpful and a great wealth of information to me in the past, and now I feel the need to share too.

The City of Houston could soon lose over 20 acres of Urban Forest located inside the 610 loop to real estate development. It is the last remaining un-protected forest in the city and if $3.5 million is not raised by 12/31/2006 this natural preserve could be lost forever.

At a time where Houston AIR QUALITY is making headlines locally and nationally for being ranked among the lowest in the nation, we could sustain yet another blow to our air quality through the loss of this urban forest.

I urge everyone to get involved and SPREAD THE WORD and let City Hall know that air-quality is a major concern and that chopping down 20 acres of trees only makes our air WORSE.

www.savethispark.org - Grass-roots website to spread the word

www.west11thstreetpark.org - detailed information about the park

www.houstonparksboard.org - On-line donations to save the park

• 4 months later...
Everyone on this forum has always been very helpful and a great wealth of information to me in the past, and now I feel the need to share too.

The City of Houston could soon lose over 20 acres of Urban Forest located inside the 610 loop to real estate development. It is the last remaining un-protected forest in the city and if $3.5 million is not raised by 12/31/2006 this natural preserve could be lost forever.

At a time where Houston AIR QUALITY is making headlines locally and nationally for being ranked among the lowest in the nation, we could sustain yet another blow to our air quality through the loss of this urban forest.

I urge everyone to get involved and SPREAD THE WORD and let City Hall know that air-quality is a major concern and that chopping down 20 acres of trees only makes our air WORSE.

Unfortunately, we are starting to look more and more like cities like LA. I lived on the West side of LA for several years and couldn't beleive how much concrete abounds. Most homes & apts have about 2 yards of green tiny mushed grass in front, thats it. Palms yes, but as far as yardage, forget it. No wonder that large black smog cloud has loomed overhead LA for so many years. Yes, it has alot to do with the hills but Houston is a close runner up with bad air. I recall the freeways with a big SMOG ALERT emblazed on it as you drove past.

Not sure if we will live to see the day when society gets more proactive as you are. Wish the best! ...Coughhhh... cough... gag... :huh:

Actually they will only loose the 5 acres [where the baseball practice field is]that is security on the loan. But I'm with you and thats why I've already contributed. I urge anyone else who gives a damn to do the same. http://www.savethispark.org/index_files/Page561.htm

Unfortunately, we are starting to look more and more like cities like LA. I lived on the West side of LA for several years and couldn't beleive how much concrete abounds. Most homes & apts have about 2 yards of green tiny mushed grass in front, thats it. Palms yes, but as far as yardage, forget it. No wonder that large black smog cloud has loomed overhead LA for so many years. Yes, it has alot to do with the hills but Houston is a close runner up with bad air. I recall the freeways with a big SMOG ALERT emblazed on it as you drove past.

Not sure if we will live to see the day when society gets more proactive as you are. Wish the best! ...Coughhhh... cough... gag... :huh:

I used to live at Barrington and Ohio in West LA myself.

And yes, every square inch on flat land is accounted for and put to use in L.A., and we are headed in that direction too. The advantage that they have is that the terrain allows for steep, unbuildable tracts of land within the canyons which give wildlife a place to survive somewhat and also gives the eye some relief. We, on the other hand, are in danger of a more complete paving over, and so our "planners" need to be extra considerate of our dwindling open parcels and buy a few for posterity's sake.

I used to live at Barrington and Ohio in West LA myself.

And yes, every square inch on flat land is accounted for and put to use in L.A., and we are headed in that direction too. The advantage that they have is that the terrain allows for steep, unbuildable tracts of land withing the canyons which give wildlife a place to survive somewhat. We, on the other hand, are in danger of a more complete paving over, and so our "planners" need to be extra considerate of our dwindling open parcels and buy a few for posterity's sake.

This is quite bizarre! I lived on Barrington too! I worked down the street on Wilshire/Barrington at Barrington Plaza High Rise Apts (in property management). I used to ride the bus down Bundy next block over. Small world. The wild thing is I placed a message after 16 years on their website just for the heck of it and a old coworker replied the other day. Unreal! I lived in Venice too by the beach and there is hardly any green either.

This is quite bizarre! I lived on Barrington too! I worked down the street on Wilshire/Barrington at Barrington Plaza High Rise Apts (in property management). I used to ride the bus down Bundy next block over. Small world. The wild thing is I placed a message after 16 years on their website just for the heck of it and a old coworker replied the other day. Unreal! I lived in Venice too by the beach and there is hardly any green either.

Ah yes, Barrington Plaza. Remember Lindberg's Nutrition? Get in the pink! When I was there in the early/mid 80s, Barrington Plaza was a lot of old folks. I knew someone who knew John Astin (Gomez on Addams Family) and supposedly he lived up there too. I lived in the 2 story apts behind University High.

Venice still had it's share of "wildlife surviving" at that time........but now it's all high end living I'm sure.

Unlike L.A., we've still got a lot of empty land here in Houston in the form of vacant lots and I would like to see "land assemblers" at the City level actively creating parks before it's all gone. I have a gut feeling that's not happening.

• The title was changed to Park On 11th St.
  • The title was changed to Potential Loss Of Greenspace In The Heights

Archived