Dubai

Dubai  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Happy Thanksgiving!

Travelguy 73, thanks for the website.

It will be costing us close to seven thousand dollars to visit Dubai (from the packages we have seen. That includes airfare, hotel for four nights, and a car rental.

Edited by CincoRanch-HoustonResident

Hello Haif, my wife and I were considering going to Dubai in the next coming months(March most likely). My question is, would it be safe for two African-Americans to travel to Dubai right now. Thanks.

I just spent two weeks there, it is a beautiful. I met a lovely couple from Nigeria. The husband was working on a project there for three months. No one seemed to bother anyone. Out on the beach are the beautiful highrises, the water is pale green, the pools are chilled, the food is great. Things are expensive... and the traffic right now, because of all the construction is worse than Houston, don't drive it is not worth it.. Stay near where you play, so you don't have to deal with the traffic...and don't miss the night Desert Camel rides, the sun goling down over the dunes is majical. If you dress appropriately you can go into the churches there. One of the Churches has a group of Muslems that will sit and let you just ask questions. The UAE is very forward thinking.....People from all over the world will be there and a lot of fun expats.... Have a great time! I did. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Travelguy 73, thanks for the website.

It will be costing us close to seven thousand dollars to visit Dubai (from the packages we have seen. That includes airfare, hotel for four nights, and a car rental.

Great Googly Moogly, it cost me less than $2000 for a week in Maui, when I got married. That's roundtrip airfare, privately owned condo, and a jeep rental. Ok, so I got buddy passes from my Aunt who worked for Delta for 31 years, but the rest I haggled myself. :):D:lol::D:);)

p.s. if anyone wants the tips, I'll be happy to tell but you gotta have some "clankers" to get it done.

Edited by TJones

I work for a small company with offices in Houston and Oslo, but we are expanding into Dubai and KL (Yes, actually into Petronas Towers!). I was offered Dubai but turned it down due to legal issues with my daughters and thier biologicals (long story). Anyway, Dubai did look very attractive. It is unfortunate that Americans are the only people living there that pay taxes (to the US...grrr). My only advise from all the information I heard about it was to live/stay where you plan to work/play. Driving is a mess (highest teen/motor vehicle mortality rate in the world I believe) and the courts there will always rule in favor of the national (thats not you). Alcohol is a bit screwy. Often you end up drinking some damn weak stuff.

I would recommend spending some time on flyertalk.com. You can find a lot of useful information in the forums there!

Hey, another FTer is on here! (I thought that screen name looked familiar.) I spend far too much time on that site. But it has gotten me a LOT of free travel and other perks over the last five years.

As for Dubai, I've always heard great things. I've been trying to get an assignment over there for work to no avail so far. Have a great trip!

Edited by ssullivan

• 1 month later...
Hello Haif, my wife and I were considering going to Dubai in the next coming months(March most likely). My question is, would it be safe for two African-Americans to travel to Dubai right now. Thanks.

It would be safe. Dubai welcome everyone regardless of his/her nationality. People from different relegions are living there in peace ( I'm talking just about Dubai ).

have fun

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dubai is safe.

Just make sure you dont disrespect the Ay-rabs or stare at muslim women. Other then that, its safe as hell.

And luxury. Amazing luxury. Almost gross.

The Dubai Hotel that looks like a ships' sail, you need to pay a few hundred just to see the hotel lobby.

Edited by nmm

• 3 weeks later...

May i ask, what are you looking for in Dubai?

Im pretty sure that America has alot more to offer, then an Oasis in the middle of the Desert.

Have you tried Hawaii?

Alaska?

Colorado?

If your looking for neat architecture, try out Chicago.

If your looking for a party, Las Vegas.

The only reason i would fathom for traveling to Dubai is to embrace the 'culture' over there. But for the sake of everything else, the US of A has more to offer.

Hope i helped. :)

We are looking at Dubai for a nice international trip. We haven't been in that part of the world before, and thought that it would have been nice. They have many nice things going on their, that I personally wanted to see for myself.

I know America has a lot to offer, I have traveled all across this country. This time, we just wanted a little more exotic trip, outside America.

I actually haven't thought of Alaska.

Dubai is relatively stable. But if you want true Arab hospitality and culture, travel to Sharjah or Abu Dhabi for a day. They arent too far from Dubai.

Dubai is like Hong Kong or Singapore in that these cities have lost their "traditional" heritage of the countries they reside in. Dubai might feel like a European city in the desert.

To get a true Mediterannean feel try Istanbul, Casablanca, Cairo, or Damascus. Although they may be a bit too exotic for ya. :)

Dubai is a good city to go to if your venturing into that part of the world for the first time. Exotic locale without leaving all the comforts of America. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

According to this link at the BBC, there was a spot of trouble over in Dubai about one of their high rises.

The only reason why I'm mentioning it, is the fact that it took an hour for the equipment to be there. Could it be that they're not giving enough thought to infrastructure (police, fire department, medical) in their area?