Dallas's Victory Project Vs. HPavilions/East Downtown Development

Dallas Victory Project VS Houston Pavilions  

117 members have voted

1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

Austin is growing faster than SA. Numbers and percentage wise.

It did in the 90's but that's not the case any longer. What are your sources? Here are mine:

From the city of Austin - this article talks about the "slow but steatdy population growth rate" in the first half of the decade which is down from about 3.5% in the 90's and is now closer to 1.3%:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/census/download...wth%20rate'

From 2000 to 2004 the US Census Bureau shows the following growth rates for Tx Cities with populations over 500,000:

FW grew by 11.5% with an increase in population of 61,998 (which does not include the 37,000 FW added in 2005)

San Antonio 7.4%, increase of 84,978

Dallas 1.8%, increase of 21,804

Houston 2.5%, increase of 55,743

El Paso 5.0 %, increase of 28,442

Austin 3.3%, increase of 21,520

In terms of % increase, FW is the fastest growing Texas city, followed by San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, Houston, and then Dallas.

However, in terms of raw population increase - which is the one that really affects the ranking of city sizes - San Antonio is the fastest growing, followed by FW, then Houston, El Paso, Dallas and Austin... Austin is the slowest growing large city in Texas.

Furthermore, FW is set to overtake Austin population-wise in the next year or two. Fort Worth's annual population increase doubled last year from about 20K per year to almost 40K just for last year alone. FW's current population is 661,850. Austin has, on average, added less than 8,000 per year in recent years. FW's population is more than likely within 40,000 of Austin's now. At currrent growth rates, FW is on track to top 800K by 2010.

Edited by Willy1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did in the 90's but that's not the case any longer. What are your sources? Here are mine:

From the city of Austin - this article talks about the "slow but steatdy population growth rate" in the first half of the decade which is down from about 3.5% in the 90's and is now closer to 1.3%:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/census/download...wth%20rate'

From 2000 to 2004 the US Census Bureau shows the following growth rates for Tx Cities with populations over 500,000:

FW grew by 11.5% with an increase in population of 61,998 (which does not include the 37,000 FW added in 2005)

San Antonio 7.4%, increase of 84,978

Dallas 1.8%, increase of 21,804

Houston 2.5%, increase of 55,743

El Paso 5.0 %, increase of 28,442

Austin 3.3%, increase of 21,520

In terms of % increase, FW is the fastest growing Texas city, followed by San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, Houston, and then Dallas.

However, in terms of raw population increase - which is the one that really affects the ranking of city sizes - San Antonio is the fastest growing, followed by FW, then Houston, El Paso, Dallas and Austin... Austin is the slowest growing large city in Texas.

Furthermore, FW is set to overtake Austin population-wise in the next year or two. Fort Worth's annual population increase doubled last year from about 20K per year to almost 40K just for last year alone. FW's current population is 661,850. Austin has, on average, added less than 8,000 per year in recent years. FW's population is more than likely within 40,000 of Austin's now. At currrent growth rates, FW is on track to top 800K by 2010.

Source for your 2005 Ft Worth numbers?

From the NCTCOG. Some people get the letters mixed up so the easier web alias to remember is www.dfwinfo.com

Jason

Actually, the FW 2005 population was widely reported on locally because the increase in population for 2005 was unexpected. FW added nearly twice as many people in 2005 as it had in the the previous few years, each of which were about 20K per year... I saw it in the Star Telegram, the Dallas Morning News, on dfwinfo.com, and if you search the web for fort worth 2005 population, you'll find several sources there as well. FW has added just under 130K to the population from the 2000 census to 2005. So, FW has 5 years of growth left to be calculated into the 2010 census, which should put FW around 800K by 2010 if the growth continues. And, most experts say it will.

Actually, the FW 2005 population was widely reported on locally because the increase in population for 2005 was unexpected. FW added nearly twice as many people in 2005 as it had in the the previous few years, each of which were about 20K per year... I saw it in the Star Telegram, the Dallas Morning News, on dfwinfo.com, and if you search the web for fort worth 2005 population, you'll find several sources there as well.

I think we might be saying the same thing, but there is only one source for the figure, and that is the NCTCOG aka dfwinfo.com. Everyone else (ST, DMN etc...) is just repeating the number for the NCTCOG.

Jason

Things are coming along swiftly. . . A lot should be in place for the NBA FInals. Go Mavs!

WFAA (Channel 8 - ABC Affiliate) in East Victory Plaza getting glass panels installed to its new broadcast studio.

photo by maconahey

img71377wz.jpg

Click here to see installation of the foundation for the Media Tower at West Victory Plaza. This is the tower in the renderings that will adorn a giant media screen at the top.

When 4 individual screens merge to form 1 at East Victory Plaza. Click Here.

Edited by 713 To 214

Dang i like that color lighting scheme of the W hotel. Dallas gets all the fancy lighting in their downtown and buildings. All Houston gets is ugly year-round Christmas lights. on their buildings :angry:

Edited by tierwestah

Dang i like that color lighting scheme of the W hotel. Dallas gets all the fancy lighting in their downtown and buildings. All Houston gets is ugly year-round Christmas lights. on their buildings :angry:

Does the new Reliant Energy Plaza building on Main Street still have its multi-colored light show? If so, it does add a lot of color and character to the Houston skyline.

Although, from my recollection, it is predominantly visible from the south and east - not so much from the more prominent north and west. Even if it is not seen in the typical "postcard views", it is still a good precedent for a more vibrant skyline lighting scheme.

As an aside, the lighting on the W Dallas was split between blue and green tonight -- Go Mavs!

• 2 weeks later...
Does the new Reliant Energy Plaza building on Main Street still have its multi-colored light show? If so, it does add a lot of color and character to the Houston skyline.

Although, from my recollection, it is predominantly visible from the south and east - not so much from the more prominent north and west. Even if it is not seen in the typical "postcard views", it is still a good precedent for a more vibrant skyline lighting scheme.

As an aside, the lighting on the W Dallas was split between blue and green tonight -- Go Mavs!

Unfortunately, every good lighting technique that downtown Houston does, they eventually stop it. The Reliant building used to have the band of color changing lights for at least the last 2-3 years. The Relaint building is no longer lit at night. That is a shame because i too thought it really added color and character to Houston's skyline at night.

I'm hoping that this is just a temporary but the last few times i've been downtown Houston at night, the building hasn't been lit at all. But they can keep the Christmas light looking buildings. I guess Christmas lights on buildings is Houston's emmo. :angry::angry::angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I live in Houston, but I love Dallas. My bestfriend who is a realtor in Dallas, started telling me about the Victory Project just a little over a year ago one day when were were talking about the New W Hotel. Well took a trip to Dallas last week for a job interview, and let me tell you as a upcoming architect, and developer I am so impressed with the area. My office is in downtown right on Main and Rusk in Houston, and downtown Houston has come so farover the past couple of year, but they have so much further to go. Dallas has a little more edge, and I just don't think the Victory and HP project will compare. Has anyone even seen renderings of the HP project??

Well I live in Houston, but I love Dallas. My bestfriend who is a realtor in Dallas, started telling me about the Victory Project just a little over a year ago one day when were were talking about the New W Hotel. Well took a trip to Dallas last week for a job interview, and let me tell you as a upcoming architect, and developer I am so impressed with the area. My office is in downtown right on Main and Rusk in Houston, and downtown Houston has come so farover the past couple of year, but they have so much further to go. Dallas has a little more edge, and I just don't think the Victory and HP project will compare. Has anyone even seen renderings of the HP project??

It's not so much a matter of just comparing the Houston Pavilions project alone. But if you compare the Houston Pavilions project and the surrounding development such as The New Park, Park Tower, The Pavilion Residential Apartments, The New Toyota Center, and the retail spark the Pavilions will generate; the project developments are very similar. The only difference is Houston's entire east side development will not brand a name like Victory in Dallas. But they all will both have a similar impact, Houson's being a little more unorthodox. Dt Houston's development success will come from various projects which will all tie into eachother, while Victory is a larger project that was intended to be built as one, It will have a great impact as well.

Hope that made sense ;)

Edited by C2H

.....while Victory is a larger project that was intended to be built as one, which will have a great impact as well.

It is expected to take about 10 years to build out Victory. It all started in 2004 with the W. They are currently in phase III. But is all new from ground up.

Then why would they make the AA Center look like that. It looks real out of place with Victory.

I think it would look great instead of making the surroundings look like disneyland and make it seem boring around it. A complete contrast is what I like between the AAC and the rest of the park. But yes, it did start in 1999 with the arena.

Edited by Spades

Actually, it all started in 1999 with the American Airlines Center.

Well the previous plan started in 99 with Palladium (New York Group) as the group developing the project in a partnership with Hillwood (Dallas Company). Then after 9-11 and the fall of the economy; things went quiet for a while. The previous plan was to have a series of low-midrise buildings designed in the similar in the AAC, but obviously that died. The current plan headed only by Hillwood now after the group from NY dropped out has a different outlook and was kicked off with the ground breaking of the W in 2004. They are currently going for a higher density development. The buildings will include midrise and highrise. Each building is being designed by a different architect. A completly different approach then before.

Actually, the AAC did not open until late summer 2001.

Yes, we know that. But they started construction in 1999. Much like the W, which did not open until earlier this year, but started construction in 2004 (hence the initial statement that started this discussion re: the W kicking things off in 2004.)

• 4 weeks later...

Since this was intended as a Houston Pavilions/Dallas Victory comparison thread it seems the best place to ask one question that has occurred to me:

While Victory is surging forward with newly-completed components, climbing tower cranes, and more ground breakings in coming weeks. Where is Pavilions? Have they broken ground? Have they finalized the design? Or are we still comparing steel and concrete to smoke?

No negativity intended, mind you. This could be a great project for Houston. Just curious.

Edited by TexasStar