Empty Lot Behind Cabo

Anyone know what's up in that area? That slither of pavement in between the back side of Cabo and that 3 or 4 story building on Prairie and Main has been turned over. I saw what looked like 3 new pvc drainage pipes sticking up, as if there was some building going to be built there or something.

Anyone know what's up in that area?  That slither of pavement in between the back side of Cabo and that 3 or 4 story building on Prairie and Main has been turned over.  I saw what looked like 3 new pvc drainage pipes sticking up, as if there was some building going to be built there or something.

I'll check it out this afternoon.

Ben, the owner of Kaveh Kanes mentioned that the owners of the building on the corner are building a parking garage. Several of the floors of the building at that corner are going to be used as lofts. The owner needs parking spaces for those future residents to park in. I am not sure how large or how many floors the garage will reach once completed. I don't believe there will be any street level retail included, which really SUCKS!

But that still doesn't mention what is going on in that tiny little spot of land. It would seam that a small building would go there perfectly.

In regards to building a parking garage, that would truly be a shame and is rather short sighted of the owners of that particular patch of land, I can handle another parking garage, but at least have SOME ground level retail, that particular block really needs it.

Ricco

Ben, the owner of Kaveh Kanes mentioned that the owners of the building on the corner are building a parking garage. Several of the floors of the building at that corner are going to be used as lofts. The owner needs parking spaces for those future residents to park in. I am not sure how large or how many floors the garage will reach once completed. I don't believe there will be any street level retail included, which really SUCKS!

Well this garge is going to be very small. built on 5k sf i think. it will service the people living in 420 main. There will be great retail on the ground floor of 420main, so as long as the garage fits in architecturally, im cool with it.

Well this garge is going to be very small. built on 5k sf i think.  it will service the people living in 420 main.  There will be great retail on the ground floor of 420main, so as long as the garage fits in architecturally, im cool with it.

I agree. As long as the corner of Main and Prairie has some nice retail or restaurant in it, it all cool. But the remainder of that block, that is, the Northwest corner, now THAT needs development. And it seems that there is enough room there to build something big, like, say, some condos with street level retail or something.

What I REALLY want to see is development on that full surface lot across CABO, next to Market Square. That place is begging to be developed.

What I REALLY want to see is development on that full surface lot across CABO, next to Market Square.  That place is begging to be developed.

Absolutely! Further, I hope that they do a full-out fake 'historic' structure which will compliment the existing buildings - perhaps using salvaged materials on the facade (not one of those fake stucco retro things that look like Foam-Core stage sets, i.e. Calais Apartments).

New Orleans can pull it off - why not Houston?

I agree, the lot behind Cabo could use some nice development. The big lot across the street sandwiched between Market Square and the Chronicle is getting something interesting until it can support a major development. In a few months a farmers market will appear there. It'll coincide with a weekly movie viewing on the Kim Son building. Should be interesting.

I agree, the lot behind Cabo could use some nice development. The big lot across the street sandwiched between Market Square and the Chronicle is getting something interesting until it can support a major development. In a few months a farmers market will appear there. It'll coincide with a weekly movie viewing on the Kim Son building. Should be interesting.

WHAT!?

Tell me more!

Why would there be a farmer's market on the surface parking lot? Wouldn't it make more sense to use Market Square - the adjacent city-owned property?

• 2 weeks later...
I was over at Kaveh Kanes coffee shop, and the guy working there told me they're building loft apts with a restaurant on the ground floor. No word on how tall it's going to be.

That's the building allready being renovated, next to the empty lot, right on the corner of Main. We are talking about the empty space BETWEEN that Main building and Cabo.