Houston's Proposed And Approved

According to emporis, Houston has 12 scrapers proposed and 6 approved. Does anybody have any info on these buildings going up.

In the Inner Loop East area, which is downtown, there are 2 proposed and 1 approved.

In the Inner Loop South area, which is the Medical Center area, there are 3 proposed.

On the Westside of Houston, I am guessing this is from Uptown to Westchase, there are 6 proposed and 3 approved.

In the Inner Loop West area, this is not including Uptown, there are 2 approved and 2 proposed.

Anybody have any info?

Here are the names, Ill try and get more info later.

Inner Loop East

-Shamrock Tower (P)

-1401 Louisiana (P)

-1 more approved?

Inner Loop South

-1900 Holcomb Boulevard (P)

-Midtown Medical Center (P)

-Main Medical Center (P)

ALSO-New Memorial Hermann (Should break ground soon, if not already)

Westside

-The Mercer East Tower (A)

-The Redstone (P)

-Prime At Post Oak (P)

-Riverway Project (P)

-Five Westlake Park (P)

-San Luis Hotel & Spa (P)

-Dairy Ashford @ Interstate 10 (P)

-Sysco Corporate Campus Building I (A)

-1 more approved?

Inner Loop West

-Monaco (A)

-Orion 1 (P)

-Orion 2 (P)

-Washington Place Lofts Phase III (A)

Here are the names, Ill try and get more info later.

Inner Loop East

-Shamrock Tower (P)

-1401 Louisiana (P)

-1 more approved?

Inner Loop South

-1900 Holcomb Boulevard (P)

-Midtown Medical Center (P)

-Main Medical Center (P)

ALSO-New Memorial Hermann (Should break ground soon, if not already)

Westside

-The Mercer East Tower (A)

-The Redstone (P)

-Prime At Post Oak (P)

-Riverway Project (P)

-Five Westlake Park (P)

-San Luis Hotel & Spa (P)

-Dairy Ashford @ Interstate 10 (P)

-Sysco Corporate Campus Building I (A)

-1 more approved?

Inner Loop West

-Monaco (A)

-Orion 1 (P)

-Orion 2 (P)

-Washington Place Lofts Phase III (A)

Any more information on 1401 Louisiana?

I beieve the building is suppose to be black glass.

This is not a very detailed rendering.

1401_louis_sm.jpg

1401 LOUISIANA

An exceptional opportunity has emerged for a lead tenant to make a significant impression on Houston's Central Business District. An opportunity to "fine tune" both the interior and exterior to specific requirements. An opportunity to claim the building's name identification. 1401 Louisiana, a proposed 400,000 square foot Class A office tower -- offering unique lead tenant options -- adjacent to WEDGE International Tower, in Houston's Central Business District.

Ah, now I recognize it.  Is 1401 Louisiana the official name now?  I thought it was called Wedge Tower Two at one point.

I think you're right...and I think the original idea was for it to flow more seamlessly from Wedge Tower one -- hence the big unfinished side of the existing tower. Wedge seems hell-bent on putting a black eye on our skyline, one way or another -- either by cheapo neon or random anonymous architecture.

Thanks, all, for the welcome. I'm not sure if I'm completely "back," though. Business leaves very little time to post or even read this these days. I'll try to stop in when I have something to say.

Here's something I can address from another post --

I just came back from Philadelphia and flew out of Terminal E at IAH for the first time. There is a very nice Fox Sports "Sky Box" bar there. So, yes -- we've got a Fox Sports grill. The terminal, by the way, is very similar to Liberty, in Newark, but more high-tech looking. Very impressive, with flat screens all over the place, good retail, high ceilings, etc. In my opinion, it's the first terminal in Houston that really is up to date with the way airports look in other major destination cities. Now, the walk from terminal C...that's inexcusable. That's how you enter and exit for now, though.

I think you're right...and I think the original idea was for it to flow more seamlessly from Wedge Tower one -- hence the big unfinished side of the existing tower. Wedge seems hell-bent on putting a black eye on our skyline, one way or another -- either by cheapo neon or random anonymous architecture.

I don't know dal, i think the Wedge building is one of the few buildings that i think does houston's skyline justice at night. I think the buildings that top their buidings with cheapo white christmas lighting are the ones who deserve criticsm. BTW, i hope everything is going well with your City Life publication.

I have a picture of the original plan for the Wedge building. The second tower was planned in an identical style to the original (existing) side, and instead of three roof levels there would have been two on the north side. The two wings were connected with a twelve-story section that looks like it would have had faceted glass panels facing the street. Not a classic, but certainly more cohesive than the plan shown above. Oh well, neither design will probably ever be built.

• 1 month later...

Archived