Something I Thought Of Retial/freeway

I was thinking the last time I was in Houston at the intersection of Westhimer and the West loop, you know how high above the street level the freeway is? Well that big space where it gets high to met up with the intersection you could place retail in there.

At first I thought that I had thought of something new, but the other day I was watching tv and I say a freeway intercetion with the street like that in either New York or Chicago.

I hope you guys understand what I am talking about. If I can find a picture I will show yall.

Edited by citykid09

I was gonna reply with a snide remark, but actually I can see some merit to that idea. I think it *could* work around downtown, like under the Pierce Elevated. Maybe some under 59 next to Minute Maid Park.

However, I think the main thing that would keep it from happening is the fact that TxDOT may have a big problem with permanent structures being placed below their freeways. They need access for maintenance.

Now, maybe you could put some taco trucks underneath there. Maybe a "mobile bar". Kind of an icehouse for the 21st century...nice and shaded and breezy under the freeway. I think it would work...plenty of customers live under the freeway, if you keep the prices low enough.

I was gonna reply with a snide remark, but actually I can see some merit to that idea. I think it *could* work around downtown, like under the Pierce Elevated. Maybe some under 59 next to Minute Maid Park.

However, I think the main thing that would keep it from happening is the fact that TxDOT may have a big problem with permanent structures being placed below their freeways. They need access for maintenance.

Now, maybe you could put some taco trucks underneath there. Maybe a "mobile bar". Kind of an icehouse for the 21st century...nice and shaded and breezy under the freeway. I think it would work...plenty of customers live under the freeway, if you keep the prices low enough.

I was thinking mabe a Starbucks, but there are so many in that area of Westhimer and the west loop. Mabe a Dunkin' Donuts (Something that you don't see much of in Houston.

I think by adding the business, it would make waking to the other side where Hotel Derrk is seem alot more walkable.

Edited by citykid09

I lived in Italy for a while, and noticed that most of the city centers still had vestiges of the old protective walls that used to surround medieval towns. For my senior thesis in Architecture school, I had once considered proposing the same idea that Timmy Chan mentioned above. . .I thought it would be cool to surround Houston's CBD with a "wall." Pierce elevated, 59, and I-10 all had space underneath that could be filled in with retail, commercial, or even low income housing.

I think Chicago had some stores underneat some overpasses or maybe it was the El, but if I remember correctly they weren't very successful because of the noise or something like that. Maybe Editor can give us a little more information on that.

if not Chicago then New York like you said. I actually thought it was pretty cool in a unique way, but I am sure it would get old after a while.

There would be a problem with maintenance. And, in a city like Houston, you can't really place something thats "permanent" under a freeway. Because, the freeways are always changing. (Well, widening) for better traffic flow. And I-45 downtown, is already a disaster waiting to happen. The freeway is tiny for the traffic it takes, and, with so many quick destinations (exits, like Downtown, both left and right lanes, and the I-10 intersection) Its very stressful to navigate I-45. (Pierce elevated). I'm surprised they havn't begun to already make it bigger. And the I-45/I-10 intersection is a mess as it is.

There would be a problem with maintenance. And, in a city like Houston, you can't really place something thats "permanent" under a freeway. Because, the freeways are always changing. (Well, widening) for better traffic flow. And I-45 downtown, is already a disaster waiting to happen. The freeway is tiny for the traffic it takes, and, with so many quick destinations (exits, like Downtown, both left and right lanes, and the I-10 intersection) Its very stressful to navigate I-45. (Pierce elevated). I'm surprised they havn't begun to already make it bigger. And the I-45/I-10 intersection is a mess as it is.

Since I45, I610 and I10 are federal highways, I think it would be an impossible challange to get the federal government to change it's policies. As far as I45 at the Pierce Elevated, tunneling would be a great solution. That would reunite Downtown with Midtown.

B)