What In The World Has Happened To The Aggies?

The New Juniper

I just can't help myself. As a die hard Aggie, this week may have been a new low. I know that our kids are trying, but we just aren't competitive. Our defensive scheme (if you can call it that) is the most disjointed thing i've ever witnessed. When we field a team that is so obviously out classed with athletes by Iowa State, it is time to make a change.

Six times IN A ROW Iowa State converted third down and greater than 12 yards. The odds of this are lottery winning low. Reggie McNeal continues to throw passes to receivers 5 yards away as though they are 50 yards down field.

I want to be positive and will remain a loyal fan, but WOW, something must be done. Franchione was seen as the savior but has a long way to go. Torbush will be lucky to see next week. Tech may score 1000 on A&M. Perhaps one more humiliation is what is needed to cause a change at the coaching level.

On a related note, i'm proud that texas came back to beat OSU. I am interested to see how they stack up against SC and believe that will be the best national championship game for the fans.

The Texans are dangerously close to blowing the first pick in the draft. I, personally, was looking forward to 0-16 so that we could ensure Leinart or Bush in Texans gear next year. Looks like now they may be playing at the frozen trundra instead.

Phew! Feel better now. Gig'em.

The coach is the problem with A&M -- not to mention they may have one of the best recruiting classes, but sometimes the best highschool players dont pan out in college. Same is true for some of the really good college players who go pro..... look no further than or "beloved" Texans.

And yes A&M has been overated for many years - they have consistantly lost to top rated teams year in and year out since, the early 1990's. I blame it on a weak schedule(ing). The big 12 isnt a tough confrence unless Nebraska is doing really good. With a strong Neb. and decent Ok or Texas it is a fairly strong confrence, this year only Texas is worth a damn so A&M hasnt played anyone worth playing, they could very well lose to Tech(which is way overated - no offense) and will get soundly beaten by Texas(although Id rather see Texas lose).

Either way as long as Texas and USC dont --- DONT --- win a national championship then Im a happy man!

My contention is not that we are overrated, it's that we are just bad.

NCAA Passing Rankings

Click the link and you will see that A&M is ranked 115 out of 117 teams in passing defense. Now, how can anyone possibly make the argument that they are overrated? We're only Oregon State and Purdue away from being the LOWEST rated. And we still haven't even played Tech! We are staring #117 in the face.

So, let's call a spade a spade. All those aggie haters advance a poor argument that we are overrated and blah blah.

Makes no sense.

We just plain suck.

TNJ

My contention is not that we are overrated, it's that we are just bad.

We just plain suck.

TNJ

:lol::lol::lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself, TNJ. Overrated teams lose. Bad teams lose big...at home...to Iowa State.

As to the passing defense, it is an improvement. Coach Fran's first year, the Ags were 116th...only North Carolina was worse. I still remember everyone thinking Fran was the savior, and poor-mouthing RC Slocum. Well, I'd take RC's lame offense over these last 3 Aggie teams any day.

Oh well, at least I won't be upset when they ____can Coach Fran like I was when Slocum left. Oh, and any UT fans...I'll take A&M +60...not a point less!

So, let's call a spade a spade. All those aggie haters advance a poor argument that we are overrated and blah blah.

Makes no sense.

We just plain suck.

Even when A&M has a good year, they are still overrated. Why, you ask? Because they are still (usually) favored to beat higher-ranked teams, like Tex. Tech, OU, Colorado, etc. Maybe they won't be the favored team this year, but in years past they most certainly have been. Case in point: a few years ago (pick any year within the last 5...) OU was ranked #1 or #2 in the nation, A&M was ranked #23. Who was the media darling and the favored team in their match-up?

So I don't think the overrated argument has anything to do with hating A&M or with picking on a team while it is down. I think it is just a fact...A&M is consistently overrated. As, as Arche_757 mentioned, A&M does tend to play a weak schedule, especially when it comes to their non-conference opponents. Its the same with Kansas State...by playing Directional-State-U and We-Aren't-Even-on-a-Map-U, they would be undefeated and ranked as a top 10 team, but then lose big once the conference games begin.

I don't know why A&M is so consistently overrated, but they are--maybe the media likes all the history, the tradition, the corps of cadets, etc., that A&M has. Personally, I don't get any of it. I mean, isn't A&M really just a school for those who couldn't get accepted at West Point but want to dress as if they were? :D

Personally, I don't get any of it. I mean, isn't A&M really just a school for those who couldn't get accepted at West Point but want to dress as if they were? :D

Dude, that was the old days. Now, it is where kids go when Baylor isn't "Baptist" enough.

(BTW, I am Class of '82) ;)

I don't know why y'all keep playing the over-rated card. Aggies are not over-rated. They had the top 10 recruiting class three of the last four years. Talk all you want to about how some blue chip recruits don't pan out, but the facts are the facts. These lists aren't created with magic dice, they are created by people who recruit, and based on that recruiting A&M should be at least a top 20 team this year. They've got great kids with loads of talent, they should be much better than they are.

All blame needs to go on the coaching staff, period.

uncertaintraveler, you seem to be an uncertainperson. Please lay off the baseless opinions until you actually understand what you speak. You have obviously never set foot on campus or attended an Aggie sporting event in Aggieland. Once you have, we'd like to hear your opinions. Until then you are showing your ignorance on the subject as shown in each post of this thread.

Texas A&M is a well respected institution of higher learning and a proud group. As is UT, Tech, Baylor, UH, and so on. The university is 40k strong, do you really think it's all Corps? Or all farmers? Have you worked in corporate Houston? A huge percentage of your peers are Aggies, show some respect for their education and university.

Thanks for your time :D

uncertaintraveler, you seem to be an uncertainperson. Please lay off the baseless opinions until you actually understand what you speak. You have obviously never set foot on campus or attended an Aggie sporting event in Aggieland. Once you have, we'd like to hear your opinions. Until then you are showing your ignorance on the subject as shown in each post of this thread.

Texas A&M is a well respected institution of higher learning and a proud group. As is UT, Tech, Baylor, UH, and so on. The university is 40k strong, do you really think it's all Corps? Or all farmers? Have you worked in corporate Houston? A huge percentage of your peers are Aggies, show some respect for their education and university.

Thanks for your time :D

You are correct...I have never attended a sporting event in Aggieland. Nor do I ever intend to. And, admittedly, as someone who was not raised in Texas, I do not understand any of A&M's traditions or know of their allegedly storied history.

However, as for the rest of your post, you are reading way too much into my alleged "opinions," and I stand by my original premise: A&M is overrated---predominantly on the football field, but also academically. I never said the school wasn't well-respected, I just believe it gets way too much credit for its also-ran (or moderately better-than-average) programs. Perhaps it gets so much credit because of its "proud group" of alumni, but even the most passionate of alumni must acknowledge that the school isn't considered to be the number one school (by any publication that I am aware of) in any particular discipline. Granted, its petroleum engineering department is pretty good, but UT's and OU's are considered to be much better by companies and goverments.

Considering how highly revered the school is, one must wonder why it nevertheless gets so much praise....and the only explanation I can discern is that, as the saying goes, sometimes the majority view reveals that there are more fools on one side.

Clearly, your research is more extensive than US News & World Report, who only ranks colleges annually, but here is their misguided view as to which school has the number one rated PE program.

" In specific areas of study, Texas A&M's Dwight Look College of Engineering fared well. It tied with two other universities (Rensselaer Polytechnic and the University of Minnesota) as 17th best in undergraduate engineering programs at institutions that have programs at all levels through the Ph.D. It ranked first nationally in petroleum engineering, fourth in nuclear engineering, seventh in industrial engineering, 10th in civil engineering, 16th in aerospace engineering, 17th in computer science, 19th in chemical engineering, 20th in mechanical engineering and 21st in electrical engineering."

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to where your highly sought after opinion comes from.

Uncertaintraveler, please do your research before you bash. I happen to hate the Aggies too (football that is), but I most definitely respect them and the University. While you're at it, look up the definition of overrated, I think you may not know the actual meaning.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Texas A&M University System endowment totals approximately $4.3 billion; 10th in the nation and third among public university systems.

Texas A&M University is currently ranked 21st among public universities in the United States. Source: U.S. News and World Report.

Ranks first in Texas and among the top 10 U.S. institutions in enrollment of National Merit Scholars.

Number 1 in nation for number of outgoing Fulbright Scholars

The Texas A&M College of Architecture, one of the largest architectural colleges in the United States (2,000 students), is ranked the best in Texas and 10th among public institutions.

The Dwight Look College of Engineering is ranked 8th among public universities and is tied for 16th nationally when including private institutions

Oh yeah, and that overrated football team:

Conference Titles:

Big 12 Conference

Football

Southwest Conference

Football

1917, 1919, 1921, 1925, 1927, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1956, 1967, 1975, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993

Now, getting back on topic, I predict that the Aggie defense, playing inspired football after learning that the Petroleum Engineering School is ranked first in the US (after first learning that the Dwight Look College of Engineering is actually located ON the Texas A&M campus), humiliates Texas Tech by holding them under 100 points.

The offense, no doubt inspired by the spirited play of the defense, misses two field goals, but avoids a safety late in the game which would have put the Red Raiders over the century mark. The A&M faithful, reviving yet another old tradition, starts kissing after first downs, then later, after any play that does not result in negative yardage.

BTHOTT!

Just so no one here thinks I can't (or don't want to) formulate a coherent response, I want to go on record as saying I had drafted up a nicely-worded rebutal, and when I hit "add reply," I got a "cannot find server" message. :angry: Maybe it was because of the A&M gods...

Regardless, I'm not going to rewrite what I originally wrote (I'm sure much to the chagrin of everyone on this board), but I'm still sticking to my view.

We're only Oregon State and Purdue away from being the LOWEST rated. And we still haven't even played Tech! We are staring #117 in the face.

Just to show that I am not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and just when I have given up all hope on the Aggie football team, they step up and come through. Above you will see my bold prediction that the Aggies would fall to the lowest rated pass defense in the country following our game with Tech. Well, I WAS WRONG.

We managed to show our Aggie Pride and stubbornly hold on to number 116. We are .34 yards per game ahead of Purdue. Not 34 yards per game, POINT 34 yards per game. If only Mike Leach had continued to run up the score and not just thrown a touchdown pass to the quarterback's brother, but how about his MOM? That was all we needed. Damn you Mike Leach and your classy program. OU has a miserable passing offense, but even the newly fallen Boomer Sooner can put up 350 on us.

Hate to take a fatalistic approach, but come on. When is enough enough?

FIRE TORBUSH. FIRE FRANCHIONE. Do something!

Gig'em.

TNJ

Wikipedia be damned -- TAMU doent have the best architecture program in the state!

Ask anyone at Rice, Texas, or UH and they will tell you otherwise, including former aggies. The largest architectural school in the country and unless Im mistaken you dont even graduate from there with an architectural degree! Its a bachelor of Environmental Design.

Dont post stuff on Arch schools unless you have a better resource than wiki, which while good, its doubtful its worth a damn when it comes to architectural information.

Back on topic, again.

This thread was meant to discuss the football team. It has since lost it's course and moved on to things like academics, etc.

While important, that is a discussion without resolution.

We are undoubtedly going to take a beating on the Friday after Thanskgiving. However, it will not be nearly the beating USC is going to put on Vince and the boys..... :D

But seriously, I hope the Longhorns do win the National Championship. Just don't see it happening.

Gig'em Aggies

Wikipedia be damned -- TAMU doent have the best architecture program in the state!

Ask anyone at Rice, Texas, or UH and they will tell you otherwise, including former aggies. The largest architectural school in the country and unless Im mistaken you dont even graduate from there with an architectural degree! Its a bachelor of Environmental Design.

Dont post stuff on Arch schools unless you have a better resource than wiki, which while good, its doubtful its worth a damn when it comes to architectural information.

Let's hope whatever architectural program you graduated from didn't deem you an architect upon completion of your undergraduate studies. I graduated with a Bachelor of Environmental Design from A&M and it is a thorough curriculum in architecture. It is an architectural degree. You are not a licensed architect after 4 or 5 years.

Its like pre-law, pre-med... see link part below taken from this site: http://archone.tamu.edu/architecture/ugrad_frame.html

Students interested in professional registration will need to attend a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited Master of Architecture [program in addition to the four-year undergraduate Bachelor of Environmental Design degree.

Check your info before you post.

Back on topic, again.

This thread was meant to discuss the football team. It has since lost it's course and moved on to things like academics, etc.

While important, that is a discussion without resolution.

We are undoubtedly going to take a beating on the Friday after Thanskgiving. However, it will not be nearly the beating USC is going to put on Vince and the boys..... :D

But seriously, I hope the Longhorns do win the National Championship. Just don't see it happening.

Gig'em Aggies

We will lose by 38 at home. 55 - 17

Archived