Kaplan's Ben-Hur Department Store At 2129 Yale St.

Heights2Bastrop

I have interior pictures of the store in my grandmother's old picture album, but nothing of the outside that would show those rocks. I have one outside picture of me standing up in the guard shack in the main lot, but no rocks.

Sorry I'm not more help. I saw the name Kaplan's and thought I could come to the rescue with my virtual library of old pictures. Wasn't meant to be...

• Like 1

I have interior pictures of the store in my grandmother's old picture album, but nothing of the outside that would show those rocks. I have one outside picture of me standing up in the guard shack in the main lot, but no rocks.

Sorry I'm not more help. I saw the name Kaplan's and thought I could come to the rescue with my virtual library of old pictures. Wasn't meant to be...

Can we still see the interior pictures please?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help, guys. The post card did not show the stones. I wonder if they were even part of it. Anyone know what type of construction company would be interested in them. We have offered them to the stone place on yale and they weren't. 

I would like to see the interior pics. 

Thanks again.

The store was added on to several times. You would notice as you walked around that the floors would slope up and down as you went from one addition to the other. The Men's and the shoe department's that faced Yale were in the original store. The entrance that faced 22nd street was a later addition (probably late 40s) and then the entrance on the back, facing the parking lot was the last addition (late 60's). I remember at Christmas time they hired security guards that posted themselves in little elevated huts in the parking lot to watch out for purse snatchers.

I remember Abe, a salesman in the men's department, gave me a back of house tour once. There was a little employee breakroom that required you to traverse up a small narrow stairway. There was also a narrow passageway around the back of the store that led to the offices and storeroom located above the newer section.  Cool memories!   

• 5 years later...
  • The title was changed to Kaplan's Ben-Hur Department Store At 2129 Yale St.
  • 5 months later...