Pecan Park Neighborhood Developments

Guest danax

• 1 year later...
Guest danax

Chronicle link.

Video link.

Immigration authorities apprehended at least 67 people suspected of being illegal immigrants in a Thursday afternoon raid in southeast Houston.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials were notified by Houston police about 12:30 p.m. Thursday and reported what appeared to be suspicious activity taking place at the offices of Super Express Van Tours on 1311 Garland and a residence next door at 7009 Schley, said ICE spokeswoman Luisa Deason.

ICE officials detained 67 people, including Brazilians, Hondurans, Mexicans and Salvadorans, Deason said. Twenty juveniles were among those taken into custody, the youngest about 12 years old, she said.

I wondered why the helicopter was hovering around as I came home from work yesterday.

This place was suspicious. Although supposedly a van service to Mexico, I had never seen a single van coming or going and never saw anyone hanging around outside. Definitely not your typical bus station, in fact a few neighbors and I made a passing joke that it was probably an illegal alien "safe house" using the bus service as a cover. Apparently another resident had similar suspicions and called it in. Amazing to me that the response was so quick.

There's a lot of this activity going on in the East End. Interesting that we have raids like this going on while at the same time, the City pays for day laborer sites where they can congregate just a few miles away on Canal.

Not surprising for our side of Houston. In the last year I have see quite a few new bus companies pop up all over in our area. How does one go about reporting items to ICE??? I have a neighbor who other neighbors have told me is a "coyote".

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

Not surprising for our side of Houston. In the last year I have see quite a few new bus companies pop up all over in our area. How does one go about reporting items to ICE??? I have a neighbor who other neighbors have told me is a "coyote".

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

go to your pip meeting and talk to the captain in the area. usually he/she will put you in contact with the right officials.

Not surprising for our side of Houston. In the last year I have see quite a few new bus companies pop up all over in our area.

With the security focus on airports since 9/11 seems everyone forgot to monitor those eyesore bus depots. The one at the corner of Telephone & Dumble has put such a black eye on that area, then there is the huge one on Telephone & S. Wayside. One can only imagine how many security risk people have entered under the "guise" as newly arrived immigrant not to mention how much drugs have passed through these terminals. I think forum members dont want to bring up subject because of backlash. Actually I am sure of this. This will always be a hot and controversial subject it seems. About a month ago we were discussing the day- laborer/crowd that gathers daily at Home Depot on Woodridge and some from Idlywood really got all PO'd. Again, these pathetic bus depots are what officially "kicked in the floodgate" to our area. Saturation is here. :wacko:

About a month ago we were discussing the day- laborer/crowd that gathers daily at Home Depot on Woodridge and some from Idlywood really got all PO'd.
I've seen a couple of the idylwood residents i know hiring help from there. I personally haven't hired any but just this weekend i hired someone who drove by and asked if my parents needed a tree stump removed. I took him to my house and he removed my tree stump for $30. i had several bids and none were near that price.

I personally haven't hired any but just this weekend i hired someone who drove by and asked if my parents needed a tree stump removed. I took him to my house and he removed my tree stump for $30. i had several bids and none were near that price.

I like having them around too...so long as their kids don't break any more of my windows.

Over the weekend, a couple guys from Honduras doing lawn work at a neighbor's place spotted one of the old broken AC window units that I'd dislodged from the window frame, and they asked if they could have it and tinker with them. They ended up removing the other two broken units as well, hauling them off, and fixing a window sash out of gratitude.

...as for the bus station at Telephone & Dumble, I think that it is really more of a symptom of the problem than a problem in and of itself. It wouldn't be here if they weren't here first.

Guest danax
Maybe I am missing something but what part of the business on Telephone and Wayside is an eye sore to you?

One can only imagine how many security risk people have entered under the "guise" as newly arrived immigrant not to mention how much drugs have passed through these terminals.

Maybe someone can educate me on this one but aren't these folks searched and their documents required on their way into the U.S.? That is what I have been told by folks who have actually used these services. Anyway, if you were a foreigner and wanted to gain entry, illegally, into this country would you choose this route?

These are bus services that disburse their patrons to all points within the US and some go into Mexico as well, but don't haul people out of Mexico. The one in Pecan Park where the bust occured was primarily a US distribution depot.

• The title was changed to Pecan Park Goes Urban
  • The title was changed to Pecan Park Neighborhood Developments

Archived