7 Up (Seven-Up) Bottling Corporation At 2204 Leeland Ave.

Guest danax

A few other oddball choices:

Anyone remember Jamaica Cola? It was the best cola, bar none, but was only available for a few years in the '70s. I think it was made by Canada Dry, and had a distinctive spicy flavor which I've never found duplicated.

Or Schwepp's Bitter Lemon (and Bitter Orange)? I think it was intended as a cocktail mixer, but it was good straight from the bottle, too.

And good ol' Jolt Cola. I think it's still being made but it's hard to find.

ahhh jolt...and now they made the can look like a battery! :rolleyes:

http://www.joltcola.com/jolt/index.html

24 ounces too! :o

I remember SPRING BREAK '91. I drove from Houston to Key West in 22.5 hours straight through. 2 boxes of Vivarin and a 12pack of Jolt cola, works everytime. The only draw back is that it takes 3 days to finally come down. :D

A few other oddball choices:

Anyone remember Jamaica Cola? It was the best cola, bar none, but was only available for a few years in the '70s. I think it was made by Canada Dry, and had a distinctive spicy flavor which I've never found duplicated.

Or Schwepp's Bitter Lemon (and Bitter Orange)? I think it was intended as a cocktail mixer, but it was good straight from the bottle, too.

And good ol' Jolt Cola. I think it's still being made but it's hard to find.

Have you tried Jamaican Ginger Beer? Usually in the 'Carribean aisle' at Fiesta, in 2L and 12oz sizes. It has a lot more bite than Ginger Ale.

Thanks to our immigrant population, there are lots of interesting soda choices. I've tried lots of the Jarritos and Topo Chico varieties. I found an apple soda I really liked but can't remember the brand name now.

Have you tried Jamaican Ginger Beer? Usually in the 'Carribean aisle' at Fiesta, in 2L and 12oz sizes. It has a lot more bite than Ginger Ale.

Thanks to our immigrant population, there are lots of interesting soda choices. I've tried lots of the Jarritos and Topo Chico varieties. I found an apple soda I really liked but can't remember the brand name now.

I used to love a drink called Fairmonts Apple Beer and also a drink from the 60's that didn't last very long called Pomac. The fairmonts jingle was. Heres to apple beer the drink of the year, no soda pop has a foamy top like Fairmonts Apple Beer.

Speaking of bottling plants...I went to the grand opening of a Coca Cola plant on Bissonnett, near Kirby I think it was, when I was in my early teens. They were giving away free Cokes, and I drank so much, I made myself sick. I guess the place is still there. Does anybody have access to info that tells when it opened?

Speaking of bottling plants...I went to the grand opening of a Coca Cola plant on Bissonnett, near Kirby I think it was, when I was in my early teens. They were giving away free Cokes, and I drank so much, I made myself sick. I guess the place is still there. Does anybody have access to info that tells when it opened?

I can remember going on fieldtrips there as a kid, back in the 70's. It was great, they gave you a free bottle of Coke at the end. My Grandmother and Grandfather were good friends with one of the "BIGWIGS" at that plant, We used to get Astros tickets and Oilers tickets for the Coca Cola Skybox at the Dome. They had a great buffet up there, and all the free popcorn and peanuts and whatever you could eat, FOR FREE ! As a kid, that was awesome, the seats were nosebleed, but they had closed circuit television up there, so you really didn't miss anything. :D

i can't find much on the opening of the bissonnet bottling location (i probably have more resources at home, though)...

and hey, TJ...did they have....chilidogs there? ha ha sorry

I think that is what has turned me off of that picture, some really repressed memories in the way back, back, back of my mind. :lol:

If I see that picture again Sev, I'm liable to curl up in the fetal position !

• 4 months later...
the seven-up bottling corporation was located at 2204 Leeland Ave, and their number was CA 2-9977 :)

Back when I was a kid in the 1960s, I remember "big" size sodas called Mr. Cola and Sunburst. They boasted to contain one pint, 16 ounces! The neon sign at convenience stores said:

"Drink Mr. Cola, Serves Three"

Today, 16 ounces is nothing. I've noticed that most sodas come in either 20-ounce or one liter bottles. At least half of the people who buy them don't finish them and they end up pouring a lot of it out. No wonder there's so much waste! Also, I read an article that said that excessive soda drinking has contributed to the currently obesity rate in the U.S. And it is also a reason why there is so much tooth decay. That article also said that if a person drank one 20-ounce bottle of regular (not diet) soda everyday for one year, that it would be the equivalent of 1,700 (seventeen hundred) spoons of sugar. And it said that even if you drank diet soda instead, the acid in the carbonated water would cause tooth decay and gum disease and possibly ulcers.

I now see that it was a blessing in disguise that I became diabetic back in 1998. I've drank only water since then.

• The title was changed to 7 Up (Seven-Up) Bottling Corporation At 2204 Leeland Ave.

Archived