Political Leanings

Houston proper is probably more left-moderate leaning. Much of the population is African-American or Hispanic, which tends to skew it more liberal. We haven't had a Republican mayor in a long time, if ever, and I know that the AA vote was crucial in Mayor White's election.

The Houston metro region (including the city) is very conservative. It has many suburbs like the Woodlands which are 98% white and 98% Republican. Former President Bush also lives in Tanglewood, which is part of a belt near Memorial Dr. that is very conservative.

Edited by westguy

i think it is difficult to classify certain neighborhoods as conservative or liberal (although one does see more W stickers in certain places than others B) )

also, i am having an increasingly difficult time with the terms liberal and conservative. i mean, i can be both, depending on the issue at hand. also, "conservative" people tend to be recognized more for pushing their personal and biased views (lots of times dealing with morality versus opinion) out in the open (take the veterans-armed-with-scissors-cuttingupbooks-people in this thread).

:rolleyes:

Edited by sevfiv

When I lived in New York I was considered a moderate.

When I moved to West Virginia I was considered a liberal.

When I moved to Cincinnati I was considered a conservative.

When I moved to Houston I was considered a liberal.

When I moved to Chicago I was considered a conservative.

My political views haven't changed. Just my ZIP code.

let me amend it. Is Houston very socially conservative? I dont have too much trouble with fiscal conservatives....

Houston is WIDE OPEN, socially. It's pretty much a "laissez faire" attitude here, as opposed to locations to the north (DALLAS) that are more "Bible Belt".

There are definitely conservative Christians around, but I don't think they're any more powerful than homosexuals in Houston politics. Houston is also very racially mixed...approximately equal parts white, black and hispanic (30% each), and approximately 10% Asian. We all have to work together to get things done, and I think we work together pretty well.

Do a little research on Texas' 18th congressional district, it's boundries as it relates to Houston (at least the most important parts ; ) and the congressperson elected to represent the district. That should tell you all you need to know. Not everyone in Houston beats the red drum.

Research being the key word. Some of you may remember the incident where Democrats walked out on a session of the Texas Legislature because of redistricting. A result of this unprecidented redistricting was the defeat of popular State Rep. Debra Danburg. As a former constituent of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee who finds himself as an unwilling constituent of Rep. John Culberson, and as a former resident of District C in Houston (now I'm in District D) - both due to redrawing of political lines - I'll tell you this:

I haven't moved, but the political divisions which represent my neighborhood have been fragmented. Any liberal neighborhoods in Houston have been gerrymandered out of existance. The Montrose political borders on a local, state and federal level have been reduced to mincemeat. And it's not accidental.

let me amend it. Is Houston very socially conservative? I dont have too much trouble with fiscal conservatives....

No.

Houston is WIDE OPEN, socially. It's pretty much a "laissez faire" attitude here, as opposed to locations to the north (DALLAS) that are more "Bible Belt".

There are definitely conservative Christians around, but I don't think they're any more powerful than homosexuals in Houston politics. Houston is also very racially mixed...approximately equal parts white, black and hispanic (30% each), and approximately 10% Asian. We all have to work together to get things done, and I think we work together pretty well.

agreed. from a social melting pot, houston has a lot of places beat. what i tend to like most is that people in many ways keep their politics to themselves.

i work in the woodlands in a hodgepodge of political and economic viewpoints and economic backgrounds, but people tend to vote their minds, they just don't say it. and that is fine with me.

as long as we respect each other ... when it comes down to it what difference does it matter really if you are republican, conservative, democrat, liberal, green party, etc. if you love this place and respect your neighbors?

I quite agree.

Also, you can just into what you may considered the most conservative neighborhoods and find people leadin lifestyle out of the norm. There are loads of gay people in suburbs raising children and going about their daily lives.