WestFest

I've always heard it referred to as "WestFest", instead of The Westheimer Street Festival

I never heard it called WestFest either...we always called it the Westheimer Freak Festival. It was always the two best weekends of the year!

We went to one just a year or two ago...MUCH MUCH smaller event, but it was still cool to get just a little taste of the ol' Street Fest.

I don't ever even remember seeing ads for it.

It was just a given.

Maybe Public News would highlight the bands, but that's about it.

True.

For a few years the Westheimer Festival had the advantage of anonymousness; the major newspapers didn't promote it, and media coverage was minimal. Festival weekends were like bizarre class reunions. You'd see your friends, and so what if some of them had tattoos now, or piercings, or decided to bring a pet reptile? It was nice to see them again; and if they were in drag, how festive! Montrose was the only place in Houston where a person could feel the freedom to enjoy such things.

Some things get loved to death. What was once fresh became a cliche', and an essential misunderstanding of what the Westheimer Festival (and Montrose) meant lead to its (their) demise. Hated to see it (them) go, but in restrospect, it (they) wasn't (weren't) meant to last. Look at Haight-Ashbury; there's a Gap and a Starbuck's at that corner, I hear. It's not 1967 (nor 1982) anymore.

I hope places like Harwin or Airline start their own festivals, and enjoy them before they're commercialized out of existance.

I've always heard it referred to as "WestFest", instead of The Westheimer Street Festival

Everyone in Alief knew it as WestFest, and we're all glad it's back!

I think when the city officials tried to shut it down at first, it started the demise of Westiemer/Richmond Strip. If this is successful, maybe this could be a revival of both again. Let's hope!!

When I first moved to Houston, the Westheimer Arts Festival was one of the things that made me fall in love. The two best things about it were the fact that no one was a "freak" because everyone there was a "freak". And of course I loved that Westheimer was shut off from cars and people were able to walk the street like at what I call a "real" festival (gosh I miss those days in Houston). Now it's confined only to the sidewalks, which has taken away some of it's appeal. However, I am greatful it is no longer on Allen Parkway.

This thing is truly a gem that the city of Houston should really cherish. I don't think some in Houston realize how attractive these sorts of things can make a city. Long live the West Fest/Westheimer Street Festival/Westheimer Arts Festival!

Edited by VelvetJ

WEST FEST RETURNS

On October 15, 2005 the latest incarnation of the Westheimer Street Festival will occur in a four block radius surrounding Westheimer (400 block) and Taft. The event is being called 'WESTFEST COMPRESSED'. The current production team has no relationship with the "Westheimer Street Festival Corporation", although members of the team have previously been involved with the festival in various capacities. Those wishing to learn more should go the current festival's website. In keeping with the desire to return to an earlier an more art-oriented event, the producers have arranged already for a variety of art installations. Inclusion of the Montrose Patriot art vehicle is being taken into consideration. WestFest Compressed will also coincide with the first Annual Free Press Houston Music Awards.

this is pretty sad w/r/t the street festivals of the past,

personally I think we should all start a crime spree against the gentrification

I already have, that's your warning

~"architecture must burn"

While I admire your enthusiasum, I must remind you that arson is a felony.

Not that arson is anything new to Montrose...the block near Whitney and W. Drew (now occupied by early 80's townhomes) was, at the time, sarcastically known as Arson Acres. A series of mysterious fires leveled this block.

There's a lot of history behind how this city developed.

Sounds like sevfiv is just a hater--if you were expecting a gargantuan- bon-jovi era festival, then you were gonna be "unimpressed" no matter what. hopefully-this will snowball to a better bigger fest but it had to start from ground up. the only obstacle is burnouts like you who dis what you attend anyway. most teenagers today never were part of these old school fests of yore that you lament about. so if you don't like it--please don't go to the next one. neither bonjovi or fleetwood mac will be there. if you are interested in helping a NEW generation get the ball rolling--come on and help.

Edited by hector

• 2 weeks later...
While I admire your enthusiasum, I must remind you that arson is a felony.

Not that arson is anything new to Montrose...the block near Whitney and W. Drew (now occupied by early 80's townhomes) was, at the time, sarcastically known as Arson Acres. A series of mysterious fires leveled this block.

There's a lot of history behind how this city developed.

hehehe, i was referrring to a coop himmelblau quote "architecture must burn"

:P

always love hearing about the scandalist real estate tales of yore, esp from the 80's (when i was a kiddie)

• The title was changed to West Fest Is Back
  • The title was changed to WestFest