Downtown Houston 2036 Master Plan

lockmat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the North Canal project will involve $20 million of local funding and $80 million from a partner, presumably either the federal or state government. Based on this document, there is $2.25 billion in Local Only projects and $872 million in local funding for Partner projects (this is one of those). The bond is for $2.5 billion, so I don't see how it covers all of the "2018 Bond Projects" which would seem to require $3.12 billion in local funds, but maybe some of the money is coming from the normal Flood tax budget.

https://www.hcfcd.org/media/2907/2018bondprojectlist2018-08-06-1130.pdf

The North Canal is project number E200-02-00-NC.

tl;dr - we will still have to wait on outside funding to see the North Canal get built, but it is in the pipeline.

25 minutes ago, wilcal said:

I believe the north canal is shown in the newish renderings I saw at the NHHIP open house last night: 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28553-the-pierce-elevatedi-59-redesign-thread/?page=52&tab=comments#comment-576090

Specifically this rendering: https://i.imgur.com/VhbaXoJ.jpg

Yes, I actually talked to the city planner for this poster, and he was telling me how that area is mainly industrial and that it floods a lot. 

We talked about the possibility of creating a wildlife Island park similar to Stanley Park in Vancouver; which would help reduce flooding in the area. 

15 minutes ago, pablog said:

Yes, I actually talked to the city planner for this poster, and he was telling me how that area is mainly industrial and that it floods a lot. 

We talked about the possibility of creating a wildlife Island park similar to Stanley Park in Vancouver; which would help reduce flooding in the area. 

Stanley Park is amazing. If there is any chance of anything like that then that would be incredible. 

7 hours ago, wilcal said:

I believe the north canal is shown in the newish renderings I saw at the NHHIP open house last night: 

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28553-the-pierce-elevatedi-59-redesign-thread/?page=52&tab=comments#comment-576090

Specifically this rendering: https://i.imgur.com/VhbaXoJ.jpg

The wetlands/retention ponds could be a great idea, if done correctly.

Does this supplant the earlier idea below of TXDOT constructing a South Canal as part of the 45 Reroute?

On 3/21/2018 at 8:38 AM, cspwal said:

Another canal is being proposed by TxDot along with the 45 re-route, according to the Chronicle article.

920x1240.jpg

12 hours ago, tigereye said:

Does this supplant the earlier idea below of TXDOT constructing a South Canal as part of the 45 Reroute?

I actually asked about the south canal and I was told it wasn't going to happen, but the guy didn't sound so sure of himself. 

So, replacing the six bridges...okay, Ella Blvd. and 18th, fine, you could keep at least one open at any given time. 11th? Use T.C. Jester. But...replacing Yale? They just DID that. Are you saying that they're going to tear down a bridge that is currently less than 2 years old? The old bridge was over 80 before they wrecked it! (And they wouldn't tear down and rebuild an abandoned bridge, would they?)

15 hours ago, IronTiger said:

So, replacing the six bridges...okay, Ella Blvd. and 18th, fine, you could keep at least one open at any given time. 11th? Use T.C. Jester. But...replacing Yale? They just DID that. Are you saying that they're going to tear down a bridge that is currently less than 2 years old? The old bridge was over 80 before they wrecked it! (And they wouldn't tear down and rebuild an abandoned bridge, would they?)

The Yale bridge was built too low,and is an impediment during high water events. The rail bridge next to it is still there, because it can't be removed without a study that details the downstream impacts. Rebuilding the 11th Street bridge would be a giant pain in the ass, since the next bridge is at 18th Street. 

On 8/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, tigereye said:

The wetlands/retention ponds could be a great idea, if done correctly.

It seems like if you build too many bypasses, you speed up water flow to the point where erosion becomes a very substantial problem. Erosion was significant during Harvey. Throws into doubt the wisdom of spending millions on parks along the bayou if they could erode away.

7 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It seems like if you build too many bypasses, you speed up water flow to the point where erosion becomes a very substantial problem. Erosion was significant during Harvey. Throws into doubt the wisdom of spending millions on parks along the bayou if they could erode away.

The parks didn't erode, they were buried under silt from upstream, at least from the dog park going downstream.

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

There was also significant erosion. Sidewalks collapsing because they were hollowed out underneath, etc.

Yes, there were several areas of the park, down by the edge of the bayou where the sidewalk collapsed because of erosion.  I am not sure if that has been fixed or if those sections remain closed.

• The title was changed to Plan Downtown The Next 20-Years
  • The title was changed to Downtown Houston 2036 Master Plan

Archived