Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

20 hours ago, EastwoodEnvoy said:

Tried Jonathan's yesterday and don't think they'll last long at this location just like the last two concepts who occupied the space. I think most East End locals will be put off when the first question the server asks you when you sit down is which of their 5 different sparkling water options you'd like to order. A bad margarita is a killer on this side of town as well. Wish them well but I likely won't be going back.

Yikes. 

17 hours ago, JClark54 said:

Likewise, I tried the place yesterday and was unimpressed. Hopefully, it's a reflection of the new opening and things will improve over time. 

Food and drinks weren't bad by any means, but nothing stood out. I, too, had the marg, and it wasn't as inspiring as either of the two places across the street -- and theirs are cheaper (especially when one can catch Ninfa's $25 pitcher happy hour).

The owner visited our table after seating and suggested the Mexican pizza, claiming it was the best dish. This mirrors a claim he made in the Chronicle interview. Again, wasn't bad. It was perfectly fine. Just am able to get comparable taste for less at many of the pizza places in EaDo like District 7 or Vinny's. 

Pizzas and burgers aside, much of the menu was in the $28-$60 range per plate. Drinks, as well, were $12-$18 apiece. If this location's short history has shown one thing, the customer base willing to spend $50 to $60 plus tip per person for a meal and one drink isn't very large. Acadian Coast tried to do higher cost cajun, and it didn't work. Jonathan's menu was surprisingly similar to Gatsby's -- left side of the menu is more affordable salads, burgers and pizzas, while the right side was higher-priced seafood and steaks. Gatsby's didn't last with this formula. 

Granted, this statement is based solely on one visit the second day of opening, but we surveyed all the tables around us, and everyone stuck to the pizzas or hamburgers. We didn't see one $35 fish plate or $50 steak. 

I just don't think there is enough of a crowd for $28-$60 per plate either. 

I think the over/under on them closing is Jan. 1.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Wasn't attempting to be hyper negative with my prior post. I hope they do well.

You can tell they're a well-oiled organization in that the waitstaff was polite and prompt. It's been discussed here and on many review platforms that Gatsby's and Acadian had mixed service, to put it nicely. I once visited Acadian and was handed menus by the hostess to carry to the table. Was I bothered? Not in the slightest. But was just odd for a restaurant aligning itself as upscale cajun/creole. Had other occasions where after being seated, nobody would come by for really long periods and I'd have to venture to the bar. We used to joke that Acadian was so exclusive they decided who'd be served. 

At Jonathan's, those issues were non existent. 

I just hope Jonathan's re-calibrates prices down a tick. The East End is a more cost-conscious customer base than Memorial, I feel. My wife got the burger for $20, for example. She said it was good, but just not memorable. She said it was comparable to those at Rodeo Goat, which you can get all in with sides for $15. She gets a similar weighted patty at Nancy's Hustle for marginally less -- $18 or $19 -- but that burger is amazing. Kate Upton and Justin Verlander literally cited Nancy's burger as something they looked forward to after he re-signed with the Astros. 

image.png.d3232b98250fc93f7f47dc0d8da35cbd.png

With food and one drink at $12-$18, you're in the $40s or $50s per person before tip. Maybe Jonathan's is planning to take advantage of the convention/Astros/Rockets visitor base, and if so they may do well. Ninfa's and El Tiempo do really well with the shuttle service, I've been told by servers there. 

One gripe that I hope they make more clear is happy hour. I'm not a big fan of surprises in this regard. I called and asked happy hour info, and they said 4-6 p.m. Monday through Friday. I didn't ask any further clarifying questions, but the person who answered didn't voluntarily offer more either. Reserved seating for four. 

Upon arrival, our party was told happy hour is at the bar only, not tables or booths. Not a big deal, but would have been good to know. We had too many people for the number of bar stools open at the time, so happy hour was a no-go. Shame because we went early to take advantage of happy hour pricing, enabling us to enjoy more of their menu. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think everyone who lived in the East End long enough knows whatever restaurant that pops up here will have terrible food quality. This is the 3rd restaurant in the last 5 years? And I am seeing nothing but mediocre reviews for overpriced bland food for Johnathan's. Best of luck to them but it is a uphill climb. 

Edited by SecondWardDweller