Ruby Red's At 4608 Westheimer Rd.

smartalek

In a past life I worked at Ruby Reds on Westheimer. Now that I have moved back to Houston I cant remember where it was. Still remember the peanuts. This had to be in 1978.

I can tell you that as a kid, Ruby red's was great. Let an 8 yr. old throw peanut shells on the ground ?, Are you kidding me, Heaven ! I also liked the old Nickelodeon machines, and drinking Roy Rogers(Cherry coke). I tell you another great place back then was The Rail Head, where 6400 took over, and Harlow's, on Hillcroft, was a great place also. AAAHHHHHH !!!! Good times. :D

Let me tell you as a waiter that the peanut shells were tricky. I once slide about 20 feet loaded down with a tray of burgers during a rush. Didnt loose it though. lol

I know what you mean, I was in the restaurant business for 10yrs. Mason Jar, on Katy fwy., used to do the peanuts on the floor thing, in the bar. The finally wised up. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Let me tell you as a waiter that the peanut shells were tricky. I once slide about 20 feet loaded down with a tray of burgers during a rush. Didnt loose it though. lol

Funny, you say that. I threw my shells on the floor yesterday at Mason Jar while waiting at the bar for my lunch guest to arrive.

I know what you mean, I was in the restaurant business for 10yrs. Mason Jar, on Katy fwy., used to do the peanuts on the floor thing, in the bar. The finally wised up. ;)

TJ...what years were you at Mason Jar? I had a friend that was there for a long time in the 80's.

• 10 months later...
I can tell you that as a kid, Ruby red's was great. Let an 8 yr. old throw peanut shells on the ground ?, Are you kidding me, Heaven ! I also liked the old Nickelodeon machines, and drinking Roy Rogers(Cherry coke). I tell you another great place back then was The Rail Head, where 6400 took over, and Harlow's, on Hillcroft, was a great place also. AAAHHHHHH !!!! Good times. :D

That's the way I remember Ruby Red's, as well. My great Aunt Ruth took my brother and I there and we loved it. Did not have a chance to judge it as an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

Ruby Reds was incredible. Was that the only location? I was pretty young. It was definitely inside the loop, on the left if you were going inbound. I might have been young, but I knew a good hamburger and we went there every week in the late 70's. They had "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" on the jukebox. I think an On The Border was or is now there where it used to be. I've been gone from my hometown for almost 3 years and when I'm back, I don't get to many areas where I don't need to be due to traffic and time constraints, so I don't even know if the OTB is there. Rail Head was great, too. Sure miss Harlows. That was my part of town--I went to Robert E Lee High School. Grew up in Tanglewilde. For the guy that was looking for people that worked at Mason Jar (Katy Frwy) in the late 80's, I was buddies with a guy named Craig (his last name was pronounced like the car--Audi, though not spelled like that at all). I knew a bunch of people over there but can't recall their names right now. There was Melanie, a buddy's girlfriend. I think her last name was Burk or Burt. Perhaps the latter. Do westiside restaurant people still party like that? Holy cow. Y'all probably remember Spoons. What was the fascination with soft tacos? Fry's was a copycat with a very similar menu and flavor that came a bit later and still exists today. You can still throw peaunut shells on the floor there in the bar area, I think.

• The title was changed to Ruby Red's At 4608 Westheimer Rd.