Galveston- Bolivar Bridge

Guest Plastic

Are the still gonna build that bridge that would connect Galveston abd The Bolivar Peninsula? It would replace the ferries.

There was also supposed to be a bridge that would take you straight from the mainland to West Beach.

The mainland to West Beach bridge was one of the options considered when replacing the old causeway. As you can see, they decided to only replace the causeway with another bridge in the same place.

The Bolivar/Pelican Island Bridge is still under consideration, and will get built one day. The main issue is financing. Harris County Toll Road Authority looked into financing it, but found that its rules would not allow it. Other means of financing are still being studied.

Are the still gonna build that bridge that would connect Galveston abd The Bolivar Peninsula? It would replace the ferries.

I don't know the latest status, but to the best of my knowledge it is not dead but not moving forward at this time. TxDOT is putting in a new ferry landing and (IIRC) buying a new ferry vessel, so that will provide relief for the mid-term future.

I think there was a special law passed in 2003 that allowed HCTRA to participate in the bridge financing. HCTRA would be in it strictly to make a profit.

There are issues with the vertical clearance, since the Port of Houston wants a very high clearance to ensure all potential future vessels can get into Galveston Bay. The Port of Houston will be happy if it never gets built.

There was also supposed to be a bridge that would take you straight from the mainland to West Beach.

That proposal is permanently dead, if there is such a thing as permanent. If west Island fully urbanizes, you could see toll proposals at some point in the future. As far as TxDOT is concerned, the new 8-lane causeway is intended to meet future needs from now to infinity. A proposal to make the existing bridge more accessible with an Offatts Bayou crossing were dropped due to local opposition.

They're rebuilding the causeway? Why didn't they just go ahead and build that bridge to West Beach?

I would rather The West Beach Brdige over the Bolivar one. It would get more used and I don't really like Bolivar.

They're rebuilding the causeway? Why didn't they just go ahead and build that bridge to West Beach?

I would rather The West Beach Brdige over the Bolivar one. It would get more used and I don't really like Bolivar.

For the bridge to west beach there were environmental and cost issues. The existing bridge needed to be rebuilt since it was having structural problems. It was most cost effective to just rebuild the existing bridge with an extra lane in each direction.

I also think it is bad policy to promote development in hurricane-susceptible areas. I don't know if that figured into the decision to cancel consideration of the west beach bridge. The same holds true for the Bolivar bridge. It would promote development which is bad.

• 2 years later...

The project's been scrapped.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/new...12588&rfi=6

Plans for a towering bridge connecting Bolivar Peninsula and Galveston Island have been scrapped, according to a Texas Department of Transportation spokesman said.

The project, estimated at about $240 million, was too costly with too many unknown factors, including environmental impact, exact location and how high the bridge would be built.

A fleet of five ferries connects the 2.5 miles from Bolivar to Galveston.

Read more in Wednesday's Beaumont Enterprise.

This article was in the Galveston Daily News this morning also. The addition of a sixth ferry is encouraging, however, they need to quit the proposterous practice of searching cars for terrorists. There are no terrorists targeting the Bolivar Ferry.

This article was in the Galveston Daily News this morning also. The addition of a sixth ferry is encouraging, however, they need to quit the proposterous practice of searching cars for terrorists. There are no terrorists targeting the Bolivar Ferry.

:lol:

I think it makes them feel important. After all, if you need to be on the lookout for OBL, then you've made it, baby!

• The title was changed to Galveston- Bolivar Bridge