Mervyn's Department Stores

citykid09

Blast it. This will leave a big hole in several of our malls. I've never though that we'd have a big empty hole in our First Colony mall, which is undergoing a large expansion at the moment....

Department stores in general aren't doing good here are pretty much anywhere. So many other stores that specialize in one thing or the other are available and have excactly what you want. Why go a large store and have to look for it.

Also, many specialty stores are selling the brands that are in the department stores.

When ever I go to the Galleria, I never go to the department stores. Except for the bistro on the third floor of Neiman's. The food is really good there and the chef always has something new to try.

In the Chronicle article, real estate executive Blake Tartt was quoted as saying " For these mall developers it's going to be great. They'll be able to re-merchanside their properties appropriately" Great? A couple of weeks ago in the Chronicle, he was interviewed for an article about the renovation of the Houston Center Mall downtown. He was quoted twice about how outdoor shopping won't work in Houston because of our "100-degree days" We've had a total of 5 in the last 5 years. And he said that one of the attributes of the Houston Center Mall was that it was NOT on the rail line, helping to create a more affluent clientele. Huh? It's easy to sit back and criticize, but is this guy playing loose with the facts?

Sept. 7, 2005, 1:32PM

Mervyns chain will leave Houston area

Associated Press

I wonder what will go in the Memorail City One. I have all ways thought that store did not belong there. But it seemed to always be crowded.

logo.gif

Mervyn's isn't the only one that doesn't belong in Memorial City Mall TARGET and SEARS need to GO! I always think if those stores would leave, Memorial City Mall would look and be a lot nicer and sorta upscale. Maybe they can make Mervyn's into more restaurants, and Sears and Target into more stores or another department store or even a parking garage LMAO. N*E*Who what's gonna happend to the Lord & Taylor spot? With Foley's turned into a Macy's maybe another High-End deparment store would take its spot.

another Nordstrom wouldn't hurt.....

Mervyn's isn't the only one that doesn't belong in Memorial City Mall TARGET and SEARS need to GO!

The Target in MC is new -- built within the last year or so. I doubt they're going to get rid of it! I think the idea was to make MC an all-purpose mall, not just catering exclusively to the high $$$ clientele. My guess is that the Target has attracted people into some of the other stores in MC who might not frequent malls, just because they're there anyway. And vice versa, I'm sure Target has increased the traffic at that location over what they got when they were up the freeway a bit in a strip center.

In the Chronicle article, real estate executive Blake Tartt was quoted as saying " For these mall developers it's going to be great.  They'll be able to re-merchanside their properties appropriately"  Great? A couple of weeks ago in the Chronicle, he was interviewed for an article about the renovation of the Houston Center Mall downtown.  He was quoted twice about how outdoor shopping won't work in Houston because of our "100-degree days"  We've had a total of 5 in the last 5 years.  And he said that one of the attributes of the Houston Center Mall was that it was NOT on the rail line, helping to create a more affluent clientele.  Huh? It's easy to sit back and criticize, but is this guy playing loose with the facts?

This guys quotes are an example of what happens when you stick a microphone in front of someone trying to put a nice face on a disaster. Most years, we have only one or two 100 degree days, and those only occur because of a significant drop in the humidity level. Houstonians adapt to the heat, or they move.

I'd be willing to bet his clients would rather have Mervyn's rent than to "re-merchandise" their properties. And Houston Center is frankly, a development only a developer's mother could love. I wish him luck in his endeavors, but the facts are facts.

Well, hopefully, First Colony gets a Nordstrom.

Yeah Dallas has like 4 of them we could get one in Memorial City and another in First Colony. What about a PARISIAN that's a nice store I've been to one in Chicago, and I mentioned PARISIAN because I don't remember where I read this but I think PARISIAN is opening in Dallas.....

• The title was changed to Mervyn's Department Stores