Westmoreland Historic District

My husband and I recently discovered Westmoreland Ave., just 2 blocks north of West Alabama, and some very historic homes, a couple with original hitching posts in front. I am particularly in LOVE :wub: with the gigantic home at 215 Westmoreland, which looks like it's currently under renovation and has been for some time. I have searched the Internet for any information on the history of this house and the most I've come up with are the names of the current owners and its previous owner, which looks to have been Roy Hofheinz, courtesy of the HCAD website. I have scoured several websites for info on historic Houston homes, Westmoreland historic district, Westmoreland neighborhood, Roy Hofheinz, the Roy Hofheinz home, you name it, and I'm coming up empty-handed. If you have any information to share on this home or know where I could read its history and look at some pics, please let me know. Or if you have the web address of a site that could help, I would appreciate that also. I am SO tempted to ask the owners if I could peek inside but I haven't worked up the nerve yet! :D It is a fabulous home, absolutely huge, and looks like it stood still in time. I would just love to know more about it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

My husband and I recently discovered Westmoreland Ave., just 2 blocks north of West Alabama, and some very historic homes, a couple with original hitching posts in front. I am particularly in LOVE  :wub:  with the gigantic home at 215 Westmoreland, which looks like it's currently under renovation and has been for some time. I have searched the Internet for any information on the history of this house and the most I've come up with are the names of the current owners and its previous owner, which looks to have been Roy Hofheinz, courtesy of the HCAD website. I have scoured several websites for info on historic Houston homes, Westmoreland historic district, Westmoreland neighborhood, Roy Hofheinz, the Roy Hofheinz home, you name it, and I'm coming up empty-handed. If you have any information to share on this home or know where I could read its history and look at some pics, please let me know.  Or if you have the web address of a site that could help, I would appreciate that also. I am SO tempted to ask the owners if I could peek inside but I haven't worked up the nerve yet!  :D  It is a fabulous home, absolutely huge, and looks like it stood still in time. I would just love to know more about it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

this is from the Houston architecture guide (p85)

215 Westmoreland Ave (1907) Cooke & Co.

The colonial revival at its most grandiose. This is one of two great homes remaining in Westmoreland (the other being 201 Westmoreland), the first of the South End enclaves to challenge the primacy of Main St.  As the name itself implies, Westmoreland was laid out in 1902 by the St. Louis engineer Julius Pitzman, whose master works are the most oppulent of St. Louis' private streets, Westmoreland and Portland places.

no more detailed info on that specific house though.

I found this in the book, Houston's Forgotten Heritage p.95

The address in the book does not match but I believe it is the house you are interested in.

Another noteworthy colonial revival house built during the first decade of the twentieth century closely resembled the Connecticut State Building prototype, with a combination of porches supported by both large and small columns - the William R. Nash house.  Designed by H.C. Cooke & Company in 1905 at 217 Westmoreland Avenue.  It is still standing.
and from p168.
The Nash house was built by an enterprising rancher who wanted a showplace for a home. The exuberance with which the neoclassical has been expressed here borders on the baroque; ornament exists everywhere from the denticulated frieze, to the modilion brackets under the eaves, to the garland swags above the windows. The Nashes owned the house until 1944 even though they did not live there consistently and they intermittently rented it out after 1928, however the house was occupied by the family until Mr. Nash died in 1931 and his widow moved back to their ranch parmanently. Since 1944 the Nash house has had several owners.

Hope this helps...

from the 1972 AIA houston guide, it is listed as the Frank B. Weeks House from 1905

you're right. it's on Pg. 92 of the '72 guide. I believe they are all the same house. Pictures match between all three books. The house is on several lots so it might have used several addresses at different times.

I also found this listing on the National Register of Historic Places:

Nash, William R., House (added 1990 - Building - #90001293)

Also known as Sowania

215 Westmoreland Ave., Houston

Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Architect, builder, or engineer: Cooke,H.C. & Co., Baring,Albert

Architectural Style: Classical Revival

Area of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-1924

Owner: Private

Historic Function: Domestic

Historic Sub-function: Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling2

Current Function: Domestic

Current Sub-function: Secondary Structure, Single Dwelling2

and yet more intrique...

turns out Frank B Weeks was Governor of Connecticut - interesting since the house is supposed to resemble a prototype of the Connecticut statehouse.

Here is a bio clip I got off the internet:

Weeks, Frank Bentley (1854-1935)

interesting...

and also, the historical roster for the state of connecticut says Frank B. Weeks was lieutenant governor for three months, fifteen days when the governor, George L. Lilley died in office, making weeks governor (and Weeks was only governor for one year, eight months and fifteen days) :blink:

Are you saying the current owner is Roy Hofheinz? There was a prominent Houstonian who had that name. He was a Harris county judge, mayor of Houston, and instrumental in getting the Astros and Astrodome. But he died over twenty years ago. Other than that sorry I have little info.

Hi everyone and thanks for all the replies and suggestions! If I wasn't before, I am now really confused about the exact address and I do know that HCAD shows the home to be on 3 lots in that block. Right now, the house numbers read '215' above the front door but it does look like the Nash house shown on the preserved historic homes page, which I had seen. It's only added to the mystery of the exact address; perhaps it did use another address at one time, like 217, I don't know. And yes, I noticed on HCAD that it read 'Roy Hofleinz' instead of Hofheinz, but I bet that was a type-o, and if it IS Hofheinz, I'd also bet it was Judge Roy of Houston Astros fame. Someone also mentioned the gray color, which made me laugh. It's not really gray, just that the paint has been all scraped off in prep for painting - I think - but it's been that way for a looooonnnnng time, so I don't know if they're saving up for paint and ladders or what. But that house looks like it could speak to you. We drive by almost every weekend to stare at it. I would pay to walk inside and check it out.

I am following up on the books you've mentioned and the links you've provided. Thanks so much and 'keep those cards and letters coming folks.' Only those of a certain age will remember that phrase. But I'll take any info I can get on that home. :D

Fun fact about this house:

The swimming pool was used in a scene from the 80's cult film I Was A Teenage Zombie. They filled it with green slime and shot at night.

I've lived within a block of this house for more than 20 years, and have seen no signs of rennovation. The 2x4s holding up the roof of the porte-cochere? they're there out of necessity. Many of the decorative elements have fallen off, and the peeling paint is due to time and neglect. Although the house is falling further into disrepair every year, they still maintain the lawn immaculately. I've seen cars in the driveway but never once a sign of human life.

Weird.

On the GHPA tour of Westmoreland the docent talked about the paint job for that house being bid out at 100k. I think it requires a bit of restoration as well.

I recall seeing an episode of This Old House (or a similar home repair show) where a Massachusetts house was being stripped of lead paint. They had to spread a tarp around the building to catch the paint chips as they were scraped off, then dispose of it through a licensed toxic waste disposal company.

Anyone know if this was due to local, state or federal law? Does it apply in Houston?

I recall seeing an episode of This Old House (or a similar home repair show) where a Massachusetts house was being stripped of lead paint. They had to spread a tarp around the building to catch the paint chips as they were scraped off, then dispose of it through a licensed toxic waste disposal company.

Anyone know if this was due to local, state or federal law? Does it apply in Houston?

The EPA allows lead paint scrapings to be considered as household waste and can be disposed of in plastic bags with the regular trash. I don't know about Mass. or Texas. The soil around old houses is potentially loaded with lead dust since old paint jobs were lucky to last 5 years in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
My husband and I recently discovered Westmoreland Ave., just 2 blocks north of West Alabama, and some very historic homes, a couple with original hitching posts in front. I am particularly in LOVE :wub: with the gigantic home at 215 Westmoreland, which looks like it's currently under renovation and has been for some time. I have searched the Internet for any information on the history of this house and the most I've come up with are the names of the current owners and its previous owner, which looks to have been Roy Hofheinz, courtesy of the HCAD website. I have scoured several websites for info on historic Houston homes, Westmoreland historic district, Westmoreland neighborhood, Roy Hofheinz, the Roy Hofheinz home, you name it, and I'm coming up empty-handed. If you have any information to share on this home or know where I could read its history and look at some pics, please let me know. Or if you have the web address of a site that could help, I would appreciate that also. I am SO tempted to ask the owners if I could peek inside but I haven't worked up the nerve yet! :D It is a fabulous home, absolutely huge, and looks like it stood still in time. I would just love to know more about it. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sorry I don't have any info on this Westmoreland home of Roy Hofheinz, but would you email me if you find anything ? I have been searching quite a bit and nothing !

Thanks

CMCraze

I found this house last year and totally fell in love with it. Being the determined person that I am, I did manage to speak to the owner. It took a few days and a LOT of persistance. She really did not want to talk about the house, but what she did say is that they let the paint come off on purpose. Something about the wood being cedar and did not need painting. She did mention they had thought about painting it, but I got the feeling that the cost could be a problem. Beleive me, there is NO getting inside. The lady only wanted to talk about her dogs.

Sorry I don't have any info on this Westmoreland home of Roy Hofheinz, but would you email me if you find anything ? I have been searching quite a bit and nothing !

Thanks

CMCraze

I have been reading portions of Hofheinz' biography for my research. The family's homes are not indexed but I've come across several mentions though none on Westmoreland.

The family first moved from Beaumont to 1612 Jefferson, then to 1619 Winbern, which the book says 'later became MacGregor.' I don't understand that; Winbern is one block north of Alabama. When he married his first wife in 1933, they lived in a duplex at 1401 Blodgett. By the time the second son was born in 1938 (Fred), they had an apartment at 2413 Barbee (one block north of Wheeler). Then by 1943, they were selling a place in West Oaks, 'just beyond River Oaks,' described as a California Colonial, plus a place at Bayview called the Ship Shack. Hofheinz then had a place on Yorktown Dr. '1/2 mile west of Post Oak' which eventually included 80 acres and was called Yorktown and another place on Galveston Bay called the Huckster House. The Yorktown estate was sold in 1969 and his last residence was in River Oaks.

Not much room in that time-line for a place on Westmoreland. There was another son, Roy, Jr. I don't know what became of him but perhaps that's the one that lived on Westmoreland.

Like I said, I've only read portions; it's almost 600 pp so too time consuming to flip thru looking for addresses but I'm going to get a copy because Hofheinz is a very fascinating character. The book is The Grand Huckster: Houston's Roy Hofheinz, Genius of the Astrodome, by Edgar Ray, a one-time editor of the Houston Press (Scripps-Howard). I've just been looking at it at the Jungman library.

Some more trivia: Hofheinz' first father-in-law ran the restaurant in the basement of Foley's (previous location) and an aunt ran a 'steam-table' restaurant at 622 Travis, which would be next to Will Horwitz' Iris Theatre. Hofheinz worked at both places.

I visited one of those houses several years ago. I do not remember which one. But the owner told a great story how they were renovating the basement, Yes it had a basement in Houston, and they found bricked up wall which should not have been there. They took it down and found a room full of old slot machines!

I finally found the old brochure from the Westmoreland Home Tour:

(Compiled 2002 by the Westmoreland Civic Association)

Here is the entry:

215 Westmoreland (1907). The Nash house is a grand Colonial Revival house that resembles the Connecticut State Building designed for the Chicago World's Fair of 1893. The house, designed by architect H.C. Cooke, is the most ambitious example of Colonial Revival construction remaining in Westmoreland. One feature of Colonial Revival Style seen here is the monumentally scaled entrance. The front porch is covered by a second floor porch supported by fluted Corinthian columns as well as a pedimented portico at the third floor. The large plate glass windows without any mullions in them on the ground floor exhibit a style in late nineteenth century Victorian houses that became less common after 1900 as architects turned back to older historical examples, including the smaller paned windows seen on the second floor of the houste. Note also the elaborate beveled glass double entrance doors, sidelights and transom and the fine ornamental details above the windows in the porch and gables and in the denticulated frieze. A characteristic detail for expensive houses of the time is the ornamental date palm tree, a status tree in early twentieth-century Houston. Not indiginous to Houston, they spoke of locales and leisure living. This house was built as a town house for the family of William Nash, a rancher and farmer from Brazoria County. The Nashes divided their time between this house and the ranch until Nash died in 1931. Frank Cullinan, President and Manager of Operations of Producer Oil Company (later Texaco) rented the house in 1917 during World War I. William P. Hobby rented the house in 1926. Hobby was Texas Governor from 1917-1921. Judge Roy Hofheinz, developer of the Astrodome, later owned the house.

1619 Winbern, which the book says 'later became MacGregor.' I don't understand that; Winbern is one block north of Alabama.

The book has it backward; it was called MacGregor before the name was changed to Winbern. See the 1913 Map of Houston.

Fascinating how many streets in Houston have been renamed, e.g. Westheimer was called Hathaway Ave. from Grant St. (the railroad tracks) to Baldwin; Hyde Park was called Huntington Ave. east of the RR tracks; Marshall was called Oxford west of the RR tracks; the part of Stanford south of Harold was called Connor, etc.

The book has it backward; it was called MacGregor before the name was changed to Winbern. See the 1913 Map of Houston.

Fascinating how many streets in Houston have been renamed, e.g. Westheimer was called Hathaway Ave. from Grant St. (the railroad tracks) to Baldwin; Hyde Park was called Huntington Ave. east of the RR tracks; Marshall was called Oxford west of the RR tracks; the part of Stanford south of Harold was called Connor, etc.

Thanks for straightening that out and for the great reference. The thing that has always bugged me about Houston is streets changing names from one block to the next!

One would certainly think the civic association knows what it's talking about. Perhaps it's significant it says Hofheinz owned it rather than lived in it. Hofheinz owned lots of property. As noted above, HCAD has Hofleinz from 1/2/84 to 7/30/88. HCAD also has 2929 Lazy Lane in River Oaks with Roy M. Hofheinz, 1/2/84 (must be when they started computerized records) to 8/6/88. Hofheinz died 11/22/82. HCAD also has 2005 records for Fred, Roy, Jr. AND Roy, Sr.!

I'm good 'n confused.

Not to change the subject or anything ;) but anybody know anything about this Nash? I'm from Brazoria Co. and I've never heard of him.

The 1920 Census records have:

At 217 Westmoreland, 4th-Wd Houston, Harris Co., TX

William R. Nash, head, 59, born in TX, father born in Mass., mother born in NY, Stockman rancher

Lara G., wife, 51, born TX, father born GA, mother born LA

Katherine, daughter, 29

Frank B. Weeks, brother-in-law, 50, born France, father born, Kentucky, mother born Long Island, owner concrete production

Nora, sister-in-law, 47, born TX, father born, GA, mother born LA

? Long, niece-in-law, 19, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX,

Joe Mills, servant, black, 48, born CA, father born MD, mother born MD, butler in private family

Simmons Cambell, head, black, 31, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX, ? motor compound

Lillie Mae Campbell, wife, black, 23, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX, cook in private family

1910 Census record has:

217 Westmoreland St, 4-Wd, Houston, TX

William R. Nash, Head, 48, 1st marriage of 25 years, born TX, father born MA, mother born NY, ranch owner

Ina Y., wife, 45, 1st marrige, 1 child still living, born TX, father born GA, mother born LA,

Frank B. Weeks, Head, 48, 2nd marriage of 9 years, born Connecticut, father born USA, mother born CT, grain merchant

Nora Y. Weeks, wife, 42, 2nd marriage, 0 children, born TX, father born GA, mother born LA

Simon Long, step-son, 16, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX

? Long, step daughter, 11, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX

Joe Mills, servant, black, 23, born TX, father born unknown, mather born USA,

Emma Tillda, servant, black, 12, born TX, father born USA, mother born USA

? Strickland, servant, black, 22, born TX, father born USA, mother born USA

William R. Nash, head, 59, born in TX, father born in Mass., mother born in NY, Stockman rancher

Katherine, daughter, 29

Frank B. Weeks, brother-in-law, 50, born France, father born, Kentucky, mother born Long Island, owner concrete production

Joe Mills, servant, black, 48, born CA, father born MD, mother born MD, butler in private family

Simmons Cambell, head, black, 31, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX, ? motor compound

Lillie Mae Campbell, wife, black, 23, born TX, father born TX, mother born TX, cook in private family

1910 Census record has:

William R. Nash, Head, 48, 1st marriage of 25 years, born TX, father born MA, mother born NY, ranch owner

Ina Y., wife, 45, 1st marrige, 1 child still living, born TX, father born GA, mother born LA,

Frank B. Weeks, Head, 48, 2nd marriage of 9 years, born Connecticut, father born USA, mother born CT, grain merchant

Nora Y. Weeks, wife, 42, 2nd marriage, 0 children, born TX, father born GA, mother born LA

1930 Census Record:

217 Westmoreland St

Ina Nash, head, 56, widow, TX, GA, LA

Kittie Grace, daughter, 40, Widow, TX, TX, TX

Dorothy Weeks, sister, 50, married at age 18, TX, GA, LA,

Frank B. Weeks, brother-in-law, 70, married at 25, CT, NY, NY,

Katherine, daughter, 29

1910 Census record has:

1930 Census Record:

217 Westmoreland St

Ina Nash, head, 56, widow, TX, GA, LA

Kittie Grace, daughter, 40, Widow, TX, TX, TX

Dorothy Weeks, sister, 50, married at age 18, TX, GA, LA,

Frank B. Weeks, brother-in-law, 70, married at 25, CT, NY, NY,

1900 Census Record:

712 la Branch, Precinct 1, Houston, Harris Co., TX

William R. Nash, Head, Apr 1860, 40, married 16 years, NY, NY, NY, Hayman

Ina A., wife, Dec 1865, 44, 1 child still living, TX, TX, LA

Kitty, Daughter, May 1886, 14, TX, NY, TX, at school

Frank B. Weeks, boarder, Mar 1860, 39 Widowed, France, KY, NY, grain dealer

Sydnia Long, sister-in-law, Aug 1861, Widow, married 8 years, 2 children still living, TX, GA, LA

Sidney Long, Nephew, Sep 1895,6, TX, TX, TX

Seavillia Long, Niece, Apr 1898, 2, TX, TX, TX

1880 Census Recor:

Columbia, Brazoria Co., TX

George W. Duff, 41, AL, VA, TN, Lawyer

Mattie C. Duff, wife, 39, Al, VA, NC, Keeping house

F. J. Duff, 20, TX, AL, Al, Clerk

Clara D. Duff, 11, TX, AL, AL

H. D. Duff, Mother, 84, TN, MD, NC

Harry Mc. Duff, 9, TX, AL, AL

Robert C. Duff, 7, TX, AL, Al

W. R. NASH, other, 19, TX, NY, NY, Stock Raiser

Sallie Adriance, other, 28, NY, NY, NY

1880 Census Record:

Beaumont, Jefferson Co., TX

George E. Valade, 31, Raftsman, born NY

Lelia Valade, wife, 30, Keeping house, TX, father LA, mother LA

Mamie Valade, Dau, 7, in school, TX, NY, TX

Eula Valade, dau, 6, TX, NY, TX

Eva Valade, dau, 4, TX, NY, TX

Jane Givens, other, 16, help

INA YOUNG, Sister-in-law, 13, In school, TX, GA, LA

DORA YOUNG, sister-in-law, 10, in school, TX, GA, LA

Daisey Langston, other, black, 9, servant, TX, -, GA

1880 Census Record:

Precint 4, Brazoria Co., TX

Laura McNeel, Self, 52, TN, TN, TN, keeps house

Ann Roane, mother, 86, VA, VA, VA

Nancy Random, Sister, 86, KY, SC, KY

FRANK WEEKS, other, 19, Havre (France), CT, CT

1870 Census Record:

Catherine Nash, 49, Keep House, NY

WILLIAM NASH, 10, in school, NY

Allis Nash, 14, domestic servant, VA

1900 Census Record:

712 la Branch, Precinct 1, Houston, Harris Co., TX

William R. Nash, Head, Apr 1860, 40, married 16 years, NY, NY, NY, Hayman

Ina A., wife, Dec 1865, 44, 1 child still living, TX, TX, LA

Kitty, Daughter, May 1886, 14, TX, NY, TX, at school

Frank B. Weeks, boarder, Mar 1860, 39 Widowed, France, KY, NY, grain dealer

Sydnia Long, sister-in-law, Aug 1861, Widow, married 8 years, 2 children still living, TX, GA, LA

Sidney Long, Nephew, Sep 1895,6, TX, TX, TX

Seavillia Long, Niece, Apr 1898, 2, TX, TX, TX

1880 Census Recor:

George W. Duff, 41, AL, VA, TN, Lawyer

Mattie C. Duff, wife, 39, Al, VA, NC, Keeping house

F. J. Duff, 20, TX, AL, Al, Clerk

Clara D. Duff, 11, TX, AL, AL

H. D. Duff, Mother, 84, TN, MD, NC

Harry Mc. Duff, 9, TX, AL, AL

Robert C. Duff, 7, TX, AL, Al

W. R. NASH, other, 19, TX, NY, NY, Stock Raiser