What Do New Orleanians Think?

Currently, I reside in Saint Louis as I am going to college. Up here, the media's viewpoint seems skeptical if not cynical towards the whole "refugee" process and the help that Texas has given. I personnally think that it is wonderful what Houston has done, what Perry has done in opening centers and apartments, and what other cities have stepped up to do. Our societies are not at all perfect, but we don't mind giving up life flight helicopters, trucks, ambulances, and volunteers to help a harder hit city with its needs.

However, watching the national media vs. local media, there is no comparison towards their portrayal of Houston and Texas. Their interviews of people, especially from the Convention center and to an extent from the Astrodome are quite negative towards efforts that frankly Texas never had to make.

I just wanted to know are most New Orleanians grateful, and do they or will they realize how much Texas, and especially the city of Houston have been catalysts towards the relief effort. Thx.

Sincerely,

caevans3

Sunstar,

Let me rephrase. I meant more the national media. The local media up here has been pretty good and has been covering most of the relief stories, but national media interviews and followups from interviews with the FEMA director and the Secretary of Public Housing as well as some Astrodome interviews have put Houston in somewhat of a negative light for being "overwhelmed" and somewhat disorganized. I feel that some in the national spotlight forget how big of an effort this is, and how there has been nothing like this in our history. The other thing is that by watching MSNBC as well as others over the last 6 days, I would not have known to what extent if any Louisianans and others from the Gulf Coast have been accomodated in schools and colleges unless I read the Chronicle.

I guess that maybe I am being somewhat unreasonable towards expecting the media to cover any of these stories seeing that people are still trapped in so many areas, and these people are the bigger issue, especially those in St. Bernard Parish and Waveland/Pass Christian.

I personnally feel quite attached to this situation, living and graduating high school in NOLA, and having lots of friends from there; being familiar with that area as well as MS.

Anyways, just to restate my question, what do New Orleanians and others think of our efforts, and is any resentment more towards the federal government, or what? Thx.

Sincerely,

caevans3

I see nothing but good reports from the National news about what Texas is doing for the evacuees. If there are negative stories coming out, they usually come from those at the Dome complaining about what happened before they reached Texas. But other that the one woman caught on camera from inside the Dome complaining that her fresh food was not hot enough, I have seen no complaints about Texas.

I agree with Heights2Bastrop. I have seen nothing but gushing praise for the efforts Texas has made, especially Houston. It is almost embarrassing. There have been complaints about how long it took to get them out, but the only complaints so far in Houston, and there have been few, are that people want to start their recovery. And that means getting out of shelters. But, none of that is interpreted as negative to Houston or it's citizens.

I just returned from the George R. Brown. I took several bags of clothes and several cases of water. If you want to help, the warehouse where donations are taken is at 3000 Harrisburg, a CenterPoint warehouse facility. The mood over there will bring tears to your eyes. Hundreds of volunteers with smiles so big, you'd think they won the lottery. The evacuees are milling about with decidely calmer demeanors. They've escaped the worst and they are grateful. You might find someone that could find fault with the effort, but you will have to look hard to find it. If you see any reports of that, it will be isolated.

I agree with Heights2Bastrop.  I have seen nothing but gushing praise for the efforts Texas has made, especially Houston.  It is almost embarrassing.  There have been complaints about how long it took to get them out, but the only complaints so far in Houston, and there have been few, are that people want to start their recovery.  And that means getting out of shelters.  But, none of that is interpreted as negative to Houston or it's citizens.

I just returned from the George R. Brown.  I took several bags of clothes and several cases of water.  If you want to help, the warehouse where donations are taken is at 3000 Harrisburg, a CenterPoint warehouse facility.  The mood over there will bring tears to your eyes.  Hundreds of volunteers with smiles so big, you'd think they won the lottery.  The evacuees are milling about with decidely calmer demeanors.  They've escaped the worst and they are grateful.  You might find someone that could find fault with the effort, but you will have to look hard to find it.  If you see any reports of that, it will be isolated.

This is east of 59?

"Needed: Cots, air mattresses

Relief officials have an urgent need for cots and air mattresses. Take them to any of the three new dropoff locations: Gulf Haven Church at 10716 Sabo Road; West Houston Church at 2390 West Sam Houston Parkway North at Hammerly; or 3000 Harrisburg"

- Houton Chronicle

Something else to bring, other than just clothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could thank every Texan personally, face to face. Yall have really helped my city in it's time of need. You are true friends, and New Orleanians will never forget it. Just wait... on your next visit to New Orleans, hopefully in better times, people will thank you personally. It certainly hasn't gone unnoticed.

I wish I could thank every Texan personally, face to face. Yall have really helped my city in it's time of need. You are true friends, and New Orleanians will never forget it. Just wait... on your next visit to New Orleans, hopefully in better times, people will thank you personally. It certainly hasn't gone unnoticed.

Well, you know most of us were just honored to do it for you.

I'm sure the favor would have been returned. When you see us at the next Mardi Gras-buy us a drink! :D

B)

I personnally think that it is wonderful what Houston has done, what Perry has done in opening centers and apartments, and what other cities have stepped up to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Perry hasn't done anything but his hair in years. All he has done concerning the hurricane is stick his face in front of the TV camera. Bill White and Judge Eckles were the ones to make things happen in Houston.

I personnally think that it is wonderful what Houston has done, what Perry has done in opening centers and apartments, and what other cities have stepped up to do.

Sincerely,

caevans3

Perry? Govenor Rick Perry? He did nothing but control the airspace between himself and any camera with a red light on.

It was the people of Houston and White and Eckles. If there is a list of people who did anything, Perry would be way at the end.

B)

Perry donated 10,000 gallons of hair spray.

Hey I've got a great idea for a hurricanne relief fundraiser. "Politico TV camera races". They could post Govenor Perry and Shelia Jackson Lee 100 yards from a TV camera. Turn on the red light and let the b*&^h-slapping and hair pulling begin! The betting income alone would be enough to build new levies in NOLA. My money is on Shelia. She'd leave Perry on the ground crying like a little girl. :D

Archived