230 West Alabama Apartments

beetlemania

A friend of mine who works downtown says someone gave him a flier for a new high rise apartment at 230 West Alabama. This is building that used to be called The Executive House apartments, and I used to live there before they kicked everyone out for renovations.

Anyone else seen these fliers? Know what they're calling this building now? Know what they're charging for rent? I'm sure it'll be a cleaner, better maintained building with much, much higher rents. The views, which are outstanding, probably won't change much...

I live just around the corner from Executive House. While the views haven't changed, they should be more enjoyable with the new wider balconies - the old narrow ones gave me vertigo.

They've been working on this building for nearly a year now - seems like they should be wrapping it up pretty soon. It's in a great location, with Montrose, Midtown, Downtown, the Museum District and the Medical Center all close by, and within walking distance of the Red Line. Also, it backs up to Westmoreland Historic District, is on a bus line, and has a great convenience store directly across the street. Haven't heard what the rents will be - out of my reach, for sure.

• 8 months later...

They're still working on it.

In addition to the Executive House, the 50's garden apartment just east of it (220 W. Alabama) is included in the rennovation. This portion of the project seems to be complete, as they have "For Lease" signs posted. The parking lot between the two buildings has been retrofitted with a second story, to be accessed through the Executive House parking garage.

The construction elevator is still in place at the EH. The exterior has been painted. Final landscaping hasn't been completed. I have no idea how much more has to be done inside...

Thanks. I couldn't find any website with rental info on the "new, improved" Executive House (if that's what they're calling it now). Is there any info, i.e. phone number or web site, posted on the outside of the building?

I can't visualize connecting the 11 story building with the neighboring garden complex. Was that 2 story building torn down? I don't know how it could be renovated really without starting from scratch. I need to get back down there and check it out.

I assume Paks is still going strong? Need to pick up some more incense next time I'm down there...

Yes, the two-story apartment building is still there. It's not physically connected to the Executive House; the EH parking expansion was built above the existing apartment parking lot.

They've done a lot of work on them - I think all units were stripped down to the studs and redrywalled, new walkways, siding, landscaping and switched to individual metering. The place used to be kind of a dump, but it looks good now. Haven't seen any of the finished units, but maybe I'll pose as an interested renter. I'll also check to see if there's a website listed on the leasing signs.

Pak's is going strong. Still has great employees, music and incense.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The construction elevator has finally been removed.

Last week a crane lifted I-beams onto the roof. It appears that four new penthouse structures are being constructed; each has an arched roof. I don't know how many units they will contain.

• 3 months later...
Thanks. I'm curious as to how it'll turn out in the end. So far this particular area has held off the droves of yuppies...could this be a turning point? That could be the end of Paks (to be replaced with a brand new CVS).

Paks was chosen "Best in Houston" convenience store by the Houston Press (link to article).

excerpt:

But what really makes this place rock is the young staff (always helpful and friendly) and the music (always jamming and turned way the hell up). Hang around long enough and you'll become an expert in Asian-tinged electronica, not to mention what kinds of nuggets have been coming out of BC lately.

Quite an honor, when you consider that there must be thousands of convenience stores in Houston. And yes, it's true; the staff there is great!

• 1 month later...

Update:

Ran into the manager the other day, and she says the Executive House portion of the project should be wrapped up and rentable by Jan/Feb '06. The apartment building to the east has been completed and has renters.

Jeez...almost 2 1/2 years in the making!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the update, Big Tex!

I drove by the Executive House yesterday, and there's a big banner on the outside declaring it NOW OPEN. I drove into the driveway, and it didn't look like much was going on inside.

Anyone wanna call and find out what rent's going for? I didn't write down a phone number, and I don't remember seeing a website listed on their display. I'm still living out in the boring world of Westchase, so I don't make it down to the ol' hood as much as I should.

Great news on Paks! They're finally getting the recognition they deserve. I'll never forget the loud dance music blaring at 6:30am when I stopped by on my way to work.

Anyone wanna call and find out what rent's going for? I didn't write down a phone number, and I don't remember seeing a website listed on their display.

Ask and ye shall receive! :D230 West Alabama (aka Executive House)

Funny, that they tout the 'unmatched skyline views', but the picture they use was taken several miles away...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend who just moved in to an apartment at 230 Alabama! Unfortunately no pics of the apartment but here are some great views from the 10th floor!

99079349_7d76a11cdd.jpg

Crappily stitched panoramic image! (click for larger)

houstonpanasmall.jpg

Medical Center

99086848_2e6a32645e.jpg

Uptown/Galleria

99086851_074f5d94a7.jpg

Merged topics and retitled exisiting Executive House thread.

Nice pictures, groovehouse! I can see part of my apartment complex in one of the views.

(btw, were these pictures taken a week or so ago? Was that you hollering at me? :D )

The view Monday night from 230 W. Alabama! (and I didn't have my tripod!)

99575115_7432cc7cb5.jpg

Previous posters asked about rents. I believe they started out at $750 for an efficiency without a view, then up from there. My friend has a studio which is only slightly larger than an efficiency.

One note about the apartments, they left the old sliding doors in place, at least on the lower level apartments. I think they should've updated them. Some of the sliding door hardware and the painted area above the sliding door is original too. Regardless, when construction is 100% done and the place get's cleaned up (dusty, etc), concierge in place, plants and decorations, it will look real nice. Don't get me wrong, it's real nice now!

The 'cracky' element is still around. Tonight I was bugged for change as I exited my vehicle. But I always see that element in that area. Some things just don't change.

• The title was changed to 230 W. Alabama St.
  • The title was changed to 230 West Alabama Apartments

Archived