Raising Cane Grand Opening On Westheimer Rd.

Food isn't bad but here it my personal critique.

1. Chicken tastes the same as Mcdonalds more expensive chicken strips

2. Fries are like the froze crinkle fries you buy in the freezer

3. Texas Toast was VERY yummy!

4. What's in the "Raising Cane" sauce?

5. For about $5.29 the price isn't too bad but personally I'd stick to Chik Fil A. I like their chicken better. I somehow can't see how this place can stay open on Westheimer with just a "chicken strip" resturant when the next block over is "Chik Fil A"

Who knows this place might make it. But I keep thinking its going to be like that Italian Fast Food resturant that opened up next to Krispy Kreme Long ago. The resturant was open for maybe 6 months and closed down. It was a great idea to start with but it depends on how well they sell.

Also I think "Raising Cane" is testing the waters. It may be great he's selling well in Louisana but Texas is a whole another territory.

Also I think "Raising Cane" is testing the waters. It may be great he's selling well in Louisana but Texas is a whole another territory.

There was a Raising Cane thread back in March or April that was explosive. I believe it went on for pages. I am glad this place finally opened up. Thanks for the feedback. I will probably never hit this place (live in Midtown), but I hope they do OK. I agree that Chick Fil A will most likely destroy them.

I think they are testing the waters too. They are very successful in Louisiana were Chik-fil-lay is only in the Malls. Actually, there is a Canes in the Mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge that is alway more busy than Chik-fil-lay, but I think that is more about hometown pride and not a good comparison.

Raising is spreading throughout Louisiana with good success.

Do y'all remember tw2ntyse7en? And how mad he got at some people for talking about Rasing Canes and ended up leaving the HIAF? Well I just thought of something, mabe he was the founder or owner of this resturant and he wanted us to like it and know about it.

My brother who lives down the street from me said he has been to Cane's several times. Only b/c of convience I think. He said he likes it. I think the name is something to get used to.

I thought Twentyseven was around. I didn't know he left here because of an arguement on a thread or chicken place. LOL!

To the person who said there are alot of Raising Canes in Louisana, it could be compared to Whataburger. They may be going nationwide but ask any Texan what they think of Whataburger who lives outside of Texas and most will say they miss it. I think if you were raised on a regional resturant, it will be a hometown favorite. Just like our nowaday Kolaches. I have heard outsiders keep asking what it is, but ask someone in the Houston area who lives elsewhere "do you miss kolaches" and some will say "oh yea!"

Neat tidbit. The founder of Whataburer is from Houma Louisiana where he is retiring and opening more restraunts. Louisiana is getting a tast of Whataburger too like Houston is getting Raising Canes.

It is true Whataburger is a Texas gem since it began here.

Think of other outside restraunts to move to Houston, being from Louisiana I know of Popeye's. Ruth Chris is another one although not fast food.

Food isn't bad but here it my personal critique.

1. Chicken tastes the same as Mcdonalds more expensive chicken strips

i've only been there once in new orleans, but their chicken was far superior to mcdonalds. it was real chicken!

i thought it was really good, tender, high quality strips. the only thing i didn't like about it is the limited menu.

Yeah, the menu isn't limited, but they had that menu for years. I guess they aren't trying to give you options to where you eat there everyday. Just go when you want a variation of chicken strips on a sandwich, in a box, or a salad.

Neat tidbit.  The founder of Whataburer is from Houma Louisiana where he is retiring and opening more restraunts.  Louisiana is getting a tast of Whataburger too like Houston is getting Raising Canes.

Not sure who you mean but the founder of Whataburger is dead. Harmon Dobson was killed in a private plane accident in 1967.

• 4 months later...

I was riding around town today (Bryan/College Station) and I noticed a sign that said Rasing Canes Comming Soon. I was amazed, we are getting one here. They are putting it in an old building that use to be one of the original Wings N' More Resturants. After Wings' N More moved to a new location a place called Kerry's Stacked Enchallades went there and was gone about a year later. I am guessing that Rasing Cane's is going to totally redo the building or knock it down and build a new one.

What's a kolaches? sounds like a sneeze

Czech pastry, very delicious, Pig in a Blanket, maybe you have heard of that. You can add fruit filling, meats, cheeses, you name it. ^_^ I highly recommend Shipley's version, sausage and cheese, if you are a Jalapeno lover, they have them that way also.

Be right back, gotta run to Shipley's now......................DAMMIT !

If you want some Houston history though. THE ORIGINAL KOLACHE FACTORY, is right across form HISD on Richmond. They were the first in Houston. They have been there over 30 years.

• 3 months later...

so is this a future location? or was this one already there (because the other one is in the 127537453585 block of westheimer)

Project No:

Date:

5/3/2006

USE:

DEMO COMM/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

RAISING CANE'S

Job Address:

7531 WESTHEIMER RD

Buyer:

BARNARD D LADET

Address:

6808 WESTON 77021

Phone:

7000 Westheimer - isn't that inside the loop? The current Raising Cane's is at Dairy Ashford.

i am not sure...probably

i had wanted to go and check it out, but i usually don't venture that far down westheimer.

anyhow, i was just wondering if 7531 westheimer was a raising cane's, or is going to be one

oh don't remind me of Rib sandwiches! I see and make enough of those at work!!

We make more of a rib hoagie. It tastes and looks like the McRib itself. Frozen rib patty. but then again I make these on a daily basis and I HATE looking at rib sandwiches. *shudder*

Whataburger rules in the chicken strip market. The Honey-BBQ-Chicken Strip sandwich was the best burger EVER created. :)

Then, just like the Krusty-Burger "Ribwich", it was gone. :(

The new Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit is pretty damn tasty as well. I personally will stick with Chick-Fil-A as the best breakfast around. Their Chicken Biscuits are Y.U.M.M.Y.

do they have the fake grill marks? :D

I can't remember if the McRib was a flat rib with grill marks. Ours is kinda like boneless ribs with no grill marks sorry. I ought to try one ...one day! (my own food we make) you see enough of it it is disgusting!

• 1 month later...

Back to the orignal topic. I have eaten at this place once and was not very impressed. We were over there yesterday and it was DEAD. Not a car in the parking lot. It was lunchtime. Granted it was Father's day so maybe their business fell because of the day, but I do not see this place lasting much longer. There are a lot of failed concepts out this way.

Texadelphia closed up shop a few months ago - They were in the old Cliff's location. If neither of those resturants can work over in that area I am not sure if Raising Cane's can either.

Anyone else have an opinion on this establishment.

IF I am craving chicken tenders there sure are a lot of places I can hit. I do not think this place will be missed.

Archived