Promotion Suggestions Wanted

editor

OK so we want to increase traffic and get new users. Sounds like what every business wants.

A few questions, just brainstorming so be open minded.

Does more traffic and users directly increase your revenue? Do you have a profile of your registered users? Architect making 6 figures or a kid in Cinco Ranch that gets 20 bucks from dad for mowing the lawn. Information like this is very valuable when trying to sell advertising to a potential client.

I know the site is named for Architecture but to me it seems to be about so much more than Architecture. I believe the forum is one of the best sources of information on Houston period. Is Architecture limiting the visiblity of the site? How can we capitalize on this valuable information source, can you link to any offical websites like Downtown District, Midtown District, GHC and Visitors Bureau, GHP, Hines School at UH, ULI, etc. Sell the info becuase someone will buy it. It's worth it. Speaking of it's worth it. I think you should partner anyway you can with the the guys who invented, Houston It's Worth It, tweak is the name of the company. They started that website campaign and were on the front page of the NY Times in 3 weeks. That slogan is here to stay and HAIF should jump on board for the ride.

Basically Mr. Editor is the owner and this site is a non-profit because it makes no money. Why not have a fund drive like KPFT or KTSU? Ask your members for money all they can say is NO. Have a membership drive. Give them stuff for joining, $5 gets you a bumper sticer, $20 bucks gets you a t-shirt, $50 gets you etc. etc. Have a members only section. Have member functions, mixers, get togethers. We are already your customers you don't have to sell us we are already buying. The mod guys do stuff together, the midtown guys go eat buffalo wings, why not have an official HAIF function. I believe you have some very loyal members who would be willing to support you because they value your forum. Some of them are hooked. Think about it.

Cross Promotion, I touched on it above but you need to start thinking outside of the box and partner with companies that can help you. Main Street Coalition, Downtown Entertainment District, Rice Design Alliance they may like to have a forum section on their website. Can you help them? Can they send you traffic. I know for a fact if you promoted something on HAIF it would have an impact on that business. What about creating an amazing architecture open house page/forum and selling it to the agent and linking it to HAR? The agents are already pimping their listings on this site. Do RPS and Houston Retial want to be the official residential and commercial brokers of HAIF/endorsed.

I'm tired of thinking, I hope this helps kick start this topic. All you cheap guys from the tipping thread don't start complaining about money/membership, we know who you are. The owner of this site deserves our support.

Dream

wow, great post dream. partnering with RDA or other organizations is a great idea.

when i was in chicago several years ago, i was amazed at how many groups promoted the city's architecture with tours, dinners, etc. houston has this type of community; however, it may not be too obvious to out-of-towners or newcomers. partnering with RDA or the mod group, or GHPA could increase visibility of our site as well as increase interest in houston's built environment. perhaps we could link up or post events with the convention and visitor organization? make local architectural/urban planning/preservation events known to out of towners.

if RDA or GHPA or other organizations do not want to link up or work with us perhaps we could show them our support by showing up in numbers to one or more of their events. prove that we are serious interested parties.

this type of interaction would certainly increase the traffic for HAI.

btw, i want a black t-shirt with lower case letters in gothic or century font reading "haif". the letters will be filled with a partly cloudy deep blue texas sky. B)

All you cheap guys from the tipping thread don't start complaining about money/membership, we know who you are. The owner of this site deserves our support.

Dream

Sweet!

:lol:

While I agree this site has become much more than just architecture, I wonder if a name change would drown what little talk of architecture and development we have on here. If the goal is increased usage, regardless of content, I understand that. But, it could also flood the site with trivial content (more than we do already :lol: ), changing it permanently for the worse.

Is it possible to let some members edit information and add buildings like at SSP. Then we could try to have the largest database of Houston buildings. It would possibly bring those searching for buildings to HAIF rather than SSP or emporis (both of which are not updated frequently).

This is a database on (most) buildings on this site, but it could be so much more. I really like this idea, and the post dream made. Emporis is not really for people like you and me, its for real estate, and promoting buildings for realters. Infact, you have to pay now to find out certain facts, easy facts you ask the architects, or the city for that matter.

This site has always had good potential, and is already many times better then what it was 3 years ago.

Lots of interesting ideas. Keep them coming.

I won't be able to implement anything until I get my computer back from the shop (getting an optical drive replaced, so I'm posting from my Palm Pilot).

If we did create a members-only section, what should go in there?

Off Topic?

Way Off Topic?

Also, the database idea is intriguing. Of course, there's arleady a database at the main Houston Architecture page. But maybe I could cobble one together that could be added to and updated by the members of the forum. Hmm....

Lots of interesting ideas. Keep them coming.

I won't be able to implement anything until I get my computer back from the shop (getting an optical drive replaced, so I'm posting from my Palm Pilot).

If we did create a members-only section, what should go in there?

Off Topic?

Way Off Topic?

Also, the database idea is intriguing. Of course, there's arleady a database at the main Houston Architecture page. But maybe I could cobble one together that could be added to and updated by the members of the forum. Hmm....

Well, editor, I'm not sure what else would go to the member's only section. Maybe the photo section, along with the "Off topics", and maybe special event postings (if there are any for this site).

A lot of good ideas here. I've taken the public database thing and have created a thread called HAIF:base to get your ideas on how it should work and what it should do. It sounds like it's going to be a sort of moderated wiki.

And the magazine ad idea is moving along, too. There's another thread in this section where people are donating money to help make it happen. So far, we've collected almost $200. So, check out that thread, even if you don't plan to donate.

Sweet!

:lol:

While I agree this site has become much more than just architecture, I wonder if a name change would drown what little talk of architecture and development we have on here. If the goal is increased usage, regardless of content, I understand that. But, it could also flood the site with trivial content (more than we do already :lol: ), changing it permanently for the worse.

Good point.

When I first discovered this forum, I was hesitant to post anything because of my lack of formal architectural training. It was a relief to find out that even a layman's observations and opinions was welcome. What a privilege to exchange ideas and insights about architecture with like-minded people!

It's impossible to seperate urban architecture from city planning; and one can't discuss city planning without politics and socio-economic forces being mentioned (i.e., the homeless population downtown). It's easy to become distracted from the central theme (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone), and to regard the forum as a sort of chatroom. Some of this is good - part of what keeps people coming back is seeing how people of wildly divergent opinions interact with one another. Personalities emerge, especially in the Way Off Topic section.

But this is terratory which many other chatrooms have covered. If one wants only to rant and 'flame', there's a million places on the web where that's the norm. I hope HAIF continues to hold itself to a higher standard. Some of the posts are as well-written and insightful as major media Op-Ed pieces. I hope that HAIF can increase its popularity and still maintain its core membership - those who have an interest in architecture.

I've thought about a name change, but for now I think I'll just settle for a de-emphasization of what the letters mean. Just call it "HAIF." The way AT&T is no longer American Telephone and Telegraph, and FedEx is no longer Federal Express.