Promotion Suggestions Wanted

editor

I'd like to attract new people to HAI and the forum, and maybe get some old visitors to come back again.

Naturally, money is tight so being inventive is important, thus I ask the question, "How would you bring new people to this web site?" Let's say you have $50 to spend on it. Any suggestions?

can you email inactive members with a short message about current topics, etc? (nothing too invasive)

I thought about that, but I really really really hate spam, and would feel like a hipocrite.

I thought about sponsoring one of the Houston-based podcasts, but after checking iTunes, they all pretty much suck.

I'd like to attract new people to HAI and the forum, and maybe get some old visitors to come back again.

Naturally, money is tight so being inventive is important, thus I ask the question, "How would you bring new people to this web site?"  Let's say you have $50 to spend on it.  Any suggestions?

I have noticed a lot of people viewing this site as

I would push to try and get it listed on other sites as a featured link. This would be easier to accomplish it you had a place for links to offer in exchange. (Maybe you already do & I just haven't noticed it). There are a several members here that have web-sites. That might be a good place to start. For example, the mod topic, (one close to my heart), would be of interest to other web sites such as lottaliving.com or jetsetmodern.com, etc.

In addition can you post ads for this site on places like backpage.com or craigslist.com? I have done that before for my glenbrookvalley.com site and saw hits immediately spike.

I would push to try and get it listed on other sites as a featured link.  This would be easier to accomplish it you had a place for links to offer in exchange. (Maybe you already do & I just haven't  noticed it).  There are a several members here that have web-sites. That might be a good place to start.  For example, the mod topic, (one close to my heart),  would be of interest to other web sites such as lottaliving.com or jetsetmodern.com, etc. 

In addition can you post ads for this site on places like backpage.com or craigslist.com?  I have done that before for my glenbrookvalley.com site and saw hits immediately spike.

The Craigslist/Backpage ideas sound promising, and I'll check out those other sites. Can you post a link to your ads so I can see what might work?

Well just thinking back as to how I found it...

It was when I was Googling for info on the old mansion (old frat house) in Forest Hill on Pasadena street - I entered the street address on Google and the discussion on this board came up - I got hooked!

Maybe you could get Ken Hoffman to give a plug!

you know, i think i came by it the same way - yahoo directed me to it while doing a search for a building

also, a friend of mine who isn't a member referred me here for a forum about the savoy hotel

it's all coming back! heh

can you email inactive members with a short message about current topics, etc? (nothing too invasive)

People stop participating in forums for lots of reasons including trouble with the software, ran out of things to say, felt their posts were being ignored, etc.

A gentle reminder is okay, but not dunning people to come back.

Upgraded the software? Send out an e-mail.

Added a new forum on house trailers? Send an e-mail.

Just passed a milestone? Send an e-mail.

Try it 2 or 3 times over several months. If they don't respond, don't keep bugging 'em.

Second thoughts: Maybe what would be better is a monthly 'newsletter' to backsliders about developments on the site. Again, if they don't respond after a couple of issues, drop it.

Edited by brucesw

• 1 month later...

I sent a short, friendly reminder to everyone who hasn't been around in the last 60 days. It included a link back to the board and another in case they forgot their password. Maybe it will work. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

You could invest in a few flyers, or something, and out them up in sections of the city, like Montrose, Midtown, etc (if this is legal). This will allow us to get more input from more citizens of these areas.

If you mean fliers on telephone poles and such, no, that's not legal, and not exactly the image I'd like to cultivate for the web site.

I'm thinking more along the lines of neighborhood publications that would accept advertising or some other way of getting the web address out there.

window stickers for the car with website address only. similar in its simplicity to ktru 91.7 car stickers. simple font, clear background, all small case letters. must be large enough for driver behind to see it clearly. i'm constantly reminded to see what's playing on rice radio because of those stickers. houston is a car town. just a thought.

Edited by bachanon

window stickers for the car with website address only. similar in its simplicity to ktru 91.7 car stickers. simple font, clear background, all small case letters. must be large enough for driver behind to see it clearly. i'm constantly reminded to see what's playing on rice radio because of those stickers. houston is a car town. just a thought.

I'd put a HAIF sticker on my car. No joke...

Maybe put in an add in H-texas, or maybe, you should set up an interview with them. I'm sure they may not know about us, someone from here could e-mail them, letting them know that theres this great site just for Houston Architecture...

Good possibilities editor ;)

Edited by Montrose1100

Yes, it's still part of HAIF. Or rather HAIF is still part of Artefaqs.

You're right -- I'm not sure why the link isn't there anymore.

Maybe I will make some CafePress bumper stickers. They're not cheap, but at least they're easy.