Memories Of Southwest Houston

matty1979

I was curious about the area that is south of Richmond Ave and north of 59. It's between Fountainview and Chimney Rock.

It's now a bunch of warehouses and a few townhomes. Does anyone know what was here before?

The first house I ever lived in was at 5807 Beverly Hill. This was around 1979-1982.

Clements baseball field is across the street on Bering. I remember there being a Dirty's restaurant that seemed like it was on stilts.

Checking on historicaerials.com it looks like there wasn't too much there but I was curious to know why this area became such an eyesore. Look forward to hearing from some of y'all about this area.

Dirty's was on the corner of Chimney Rock and Beverly Hill, I believe.  One of those places I still miss.

Greasiest burger in town but man were they good. My cholesterol still hasn't come down since they closed. :P 

That particular area has been kind of an eyesore for as long as I can remember.   

I remember Dirty's as being on Chimney Rock, a bit south of Richmond.  My impression was that they were an offshoot of a place that had been in Austin for many years prior, on Guadalupe a bit north of UT.

G. W. Bush lived in an apartment near there in the 70s, I think.  During his difficult years, I guess.  A friend of mine, while apartment shopping, was shown his former apartment, which according to the leasing agent, needed a lot of rehabilitation work, including replacing the carpet that was full of cigarette burns.  Interesting historical tidbit.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Southwest Houston Area History
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Southwest Houston

Archived