Top 100 Daily Newspapers Rankings Of 2005

Top 100 Daily Newspapers Rankings of 2005 Published by BurrellesLuce

BurrellesLuce has released the 2005 ranking chart featuring the circulation of the top 100 daily newspapers in the United States. The unique chart, which is included with the current issue of the BurrellesLuce Media Report, is available free of charge as a resource for professionals in the public relations, corporate communications and investor relations industries, the company announced today.

LIVINGSTON, NJ (PRWEB) August 19, 2005 -- BurrellesLuce has released the 2005 ranking chart featuring the circulation of the top 100 daily newspapers in the United States. The unique chart, which is included with the current issue of the BurrellesLuce Media Report, is available free of charge as a resource for professionals in the public relations, corporate communications and investor relations industries, the company announced today. The data was compiled by BurrellesLuce from the Audit Bureau of Circulations

Top 100 Daily Newspapers Rankings of 2005 Published by BurrellesLuce

BurrellesLuce has released the 2005 ranking chart featuring the circulation of the top 100 daily newspapers in the United States. The unique chart, which is included with the current issue of the BurrellesLuce Media Report, is available free of charge as a resource for professionals in the public relations, corporate communications and investor relations industries, the company announced today.

LIVINGSTON, NJ (PRWEB) August 19, 2005 -- BurrellesLuce has released the 2005 ranking chart featuring the circulation of the top 100 daily newspapers in the United States. The unique chart, which is included with the current issue of the BurrellesLuce Media Report, is available free of charge as a resource for professionals in the public relations, corporate communications and investor relations industries, the company announced today. The data was compiled by BurrellesLuce from the Audit Bureau of Circulations

But the Chronicle doesn't want to be a great paper. Great papers will occasionally take unpopular stands, and that's not what the Chronicle wants to do. They want to be a nice, non-contraversial, inoffensive, civic-boosting vehicle for selling local advertising. There's nothing wrong with that. Most American papers are exactly the same way. This isn't meant as criticism; it's just pointing out that being a great paper isn't in their mission statement.

I think the New York Times is just as bad as the Chronicle if not worse.

I don't like their completely biased coverage. Very little insight in that paper. I'm glad the readership is dropping. Maybe they'll realize people in general want better.

I've already tossed the Houston Chronicle out today, but I believe in the Business section, there's a little blurb about the Chronicle doing a 7% "reduction in staff" starting with involuntary lay-offs, forced retirements and positions left open permanently. Not a good sign for the ONLY major paper in Houston, Tx.

Not surprising, though. Newspapers everywhere are having to cut back as readership falls, more content is externally sourced, and more of the production process is automated.

Exactly. In 10 years, circulation could very well be approaching half of what it is today for many major newspapers. Don't be surprised to see annual subscription fees for on-line services either. Nothing too expensive, maybe even just $5 or $10 per year, but it could be on its way.

Just because one happens disagree with a newpaper's politics doesn't mean it is a bad newspaper.  What you refer to as bias beats blandness in my book any day.  Both the NYT and WSJ are good papers, regardless of differing editorial positions.

I am conservative in my economic views, but a little more liberal in my social views. There are times when I don't agree with the opinions expressed in The New York Times, but seeing another viewpoint helps me not to be so biased. I still think it is a great paper along with The Wall Street Journal. Too bad The Chronicle can't stand up for itself. Take a chance, a gamble, that is what great papers do.

I dropped my Chronicle subscription three years ago because I could read it online and get what I wanted from it, and I didn't like all that paper cluttering up my place. I only read certain sections of it anyway - usually business, metro, editorials, and the front page. The rest just got tossed in the recycling bin unread.

I really like the NY Times but again don't really have the time to read it, so I don't see it all that often.

I read the same sections. I also look for the neighborhood section on Thursday, but I found that online, too...and it has every neighborhood, not just mine. The bill is on my desk and I am considering dropping it. It will pay for my DSL. While I hope they don't go subscription online, I'd probably pay it.

I still buy the Chronicle, largely because it's a source for local news, sales and coupons. I can read the New York Times online for free. Also, I'm compulsive about doing the crossword puzzle every day.

A recent, unwelcome trend in the Chronicle is their earnest attempt to become 'hip' and cutting-edge. Let's leave the irony and sarcasm to the Houston Press. It's unseemly in the Chron. However, I will give them credit for occasionally publishing editorials which takes a stance; a few years ago they were unvarying models of blandness.

For some reason I am a little suprised. I used to get the Chronicle every Sunday, but stopped a few months ago. I just don't care for it. Plus, I  can read for free on the internet. Not sure what changed my mind, but after reading, how do I say this, The New York Times, I can't read anything else. They do such an amazing job as far as investigative journalism is concerned. The writing is just amazing and I really find myself engulfed in the entire paper. There are times when it does take too much of a liberal view. I just skip over that.

What can the Chronicle do to become a great paper?

with the NYT and LA Times and The Washington Post you do tend to get deeper stories. they dig deep and have longer articles that show (generally) very thorough reporting. if the stories get too long they spread them out over several days.

i can get short bites on the 'net ... why would i want a paper that only gives me short bites (such as the chronicle).

For some reason I am a little suprised. I used to get the Chronicle every Sunday, but stopped a few months ago. I just don't care for it. Plus, I  can read for free on the internet. Not sure what changed my mind, but after reading, how do I say this, The New York Times, I can't read anything else. They do such an amazing job as far as investigative journalism is concerned. The writing is just amazing and I really find myself engulfed in the entire paper. There are times when it does take too much of a liberal view. I just skip over that.

What can the Chronicle do to become a great paper?

The Chronicle is never going to be a New York Times. They just don't have the money or readership for it.

They have started to do a much better job recently. I am fairly impressed with their "new" editor Jeff Cohen. They seem to be publishing more of their own stories, rather than simply running AP stories Some of the articles on problems in Mexico and Central American drugs have been good. Their editorial page has written interesting and provocative opinions, even if I don't agree.

The Chronicle will never be a national paper (at least not for a LONG time), we just need hope for regional excellence. Currently, there is no Texas newspaper (or any other in the South) that is even nearly as good. The Dallas Morning-News is HORRIBLE and the San Antonio and Austin papers seem a bit provincial, though I don't read them much...