Houston Flea Market At 6116 Southwest Fwy.

Who else remembers the big flea market that was at SW Freeway and Westpark, on the south side of Westpark and north side of the SWF? I imagine it is long gone, what with the interchange of the new tollway and all.

I used to go there when I moved back to Houston from Maryland in 1975. I think it was still around when I moved away back in 1992, but I am not sure.

Who else remembers the big flea market that was at SW Freeway and Westpark, on the south side of Westpark and north side of the SWF? I imagine it is long gone, what with the interchange of the new tollway and all.

I used to go there when I moved back to Houston from Maryland in 1975. I think it was still around when I moved away back in 1992, but I am not sure.

Oh yeah. I believe it is still there. We used to call it the "Common Market" but I am not sure that is the true name of that place.

My experiences are vast from that place. For one I lived in Briarmeadow until the 7th grade. My mom and step dad loved that place and would go hunting for bargains quite a bit. I used to tag along to get a snow cone and look for toys (I was usually dissapointed). At ony point my mother and a couple of her friends set up a booth and sold merchandise themselves. I think they realized it was too much work and quit after a few months. Then in high school we used to get our fake ID's there. I had an Oklahoma ID that used to get me into all the richmond clubs.

I do not venture over there very often, but it appears to still be in tact and open on most weekends.

What part of Colorado do you live in. I went to undergrad at CU Boulder and miss Colorado tremendously. My sister lives in Evergreen and absolutely loves it there.

What part of Colorado do you live in.  I went to undergrad at CU Boulder and miss Colorado tremendously.    My sister lives in Evergreen and absolutely loves it there.

I live in Castle Rock, a town of around 30,000 located between Colorado Springs and Denver. The Denver Tech Center is about 12 miles north, Downtown Denver is 30 miles north. Colorado Springs City Limits is 30 miles south and Downtown Colorado Springs is 40 miles south. This community sits along I-25, and is best known for its factory outlet open air mall and the Castle Pines Country Club, where the PGA International was just completed.

I live in Castle Rock, a town of around 30,000 located between Colorado Springs and Denver. The Denver Tech Center is about 12 miles north, Downtown Denver is 30 miles north. Colorado Springs City Limits is 30 miles south and Downtown Colorado Springs is 40 miles south. This community sits along I-25, and is best known for its factory outlet open air mall and the Castle Pines Country Club, where the PGA International was just completed.

A woman who went to the same high school that I did lives in Boulder. Her name is Marla Benthode.

Flea markets in Houston aren't what they used to be. It used to be fun to go check out all the imports from Mexico. Now, flea markets are filled with nothing but cheap junk from Asia.

Actually, it's very similar to what happened at the Farmer's Market on Airline. Used to be, you could go and actually buy stuff grown in the area at the stalls. Now, it's just the same produce you get a Kroger at a bit of a discount.

Flea markets in Houston aren't what they used to be. It used to be fun to go check out all the imports from Mexico. Now, flea markets are filled with nothing but cheap junk from Asia.

Actually, it's very similar to what happened at the Farmer's Market on Airline. Used to be, you could go and actually buy stuff grown in the area at the stalls. Now, it's just the same produce you get a Kroger at a bit of a discount.

You've always heard that one person's junk is another person's treasure.  You never know what you'll find at a flea market.  Maybe something you can sell to someone else for big bucks.

I new a few people from Castle Rock. In fact I once played a round at the Castle Pines while in college. Great place.

• 1 year later...

The FOUR SEASONS flea market in north Houston on North Shepherd and Crosstimbers was a favorite of my family's for years. In the same parking lot was B&D Trophy...where you could incidentally get the best comic book selection in town (that no one knew about).

BTW, I was born and raised in Houston...and also live in Colorado. I'm in Manitou Springs...

• The title was changed to Houston Flea Market At 6116 Southwest Fwy.

Archived