Houston HOV Lanes

Houston HOV lanes are the hardest thinks in my opinon. I have been to other cities with HOV lanes, but they don't have the barriers restricting you to get in and out. Can someone explan. Everytime I get in one, they end up taking me where I didn't mean to go.

I like the fact that the HOV lanes are separated from the regular traffic by a barrier. In other states (New Jersey's I-78 comes to mind) where the HOV lane is just part of the rest of the freeway it doesn't work for two reasons.

1: Many people are scared to drive 60 in the left lane when the other lanes are stopped.

2: Selfish people will continually dart in and out of the HOV lane, using it as a passing lane when traffic is slow.

New Jersey spent billions making HOV lanes attached to its regular highways. Then a year later spent millions to re-stripe the highways to remove the HOVs.

But what I don't get is how they work???? How do you get off where you want to get off? I accidentally got on them somethimes, and my family also, and we end up geting off way in some place we didn't want to go.

You just need to know where you are going. I don't think they work well for short trips. They mostly cater to commuters. But for more info you will need someone else as I have never used them andnever go far enough to see the usefullness in HOV lanes.

The HOV lanes also work in part with the Metro Park&Ride system, Right? The buses use them all the time, from what I see. I remember reading that the Metro P&R system is the best, largest, and most successful in the US...

So, if both of these are so, then, I don't think we should call them a waste.

Basically, you don't get on an HOV unless you know where you're going already. I'm not sure how one accidentally gets on one. Like Westguy said, just think of them as freeways with fewer exits. You wouldn't get on I-45 to go to Katy, so don't get in an HOV if it won't lead you where you want to go.

Here is an interactive HOV system map. Click on any one of the corridors to get a more detailed map of entrances and exits. You can then click on those to get a diagram of how each entrance or exit works.

In most cases, the only way to get on or off an HOV lane is at a park and ride lot.

METRO's HOV System Map

I like the fact that the HOV lanes are separated from the regular traffic by a barrier. In other states (New Jersey's I-78 comes to mind) where the HOV lane is just part of the rest of the freeway it doesn't work for two reasons.

1: Many people are scared to drive 60 in the left lane when the other lanes are stopped.

2: Selfish people will continually dart in and out of the HOV lane, using it as a passing lane when traffic is slow.

I really enjoy Atlanta's HOV lanes and the ability to get off where ever needed. Granted it is a little scary to travel along at 45+ next stopped traffic. There is alway a risk that some joker is going to pull out in front of you.

Also the fact of trucks having to stay in the right two lanes takes a lot of the fear out of highway driving. The I-45/Big Rig situation is out of control.

I love the HOV system in Houston, because Houston drivers are ____, if it weren't for the barriers you'd have people misusing them for their own benefit. Like my pet peeve is when your at an exit that's backed up, instead of getting at the end of the line, people zoom all the way to the front of the line and cut in, causing even more of a back up in line. Idiots!

Anyway back to the HOV, yes there are only a few exits but that's why they work great. You wouldn't want lots of exits because that defeats the purpose. Another suck thing is that if you get behind someone who refused to go fast on the HOV, usually there is a train of cars behind these idiots but they must not look in their mirrors because they don't speed up. These are the same fools that slow down with the traffic on the freeway while on the HOV!

Like my pet peeve is when your at an exit that's backed up, instead of getting at the end of the line, people zoom all the way to the front of the line and cut in, causing even more of a back up in line. Idiots!

They're not idiots, they are selfish asses. You are doing exactly the right thing to not let them in. I don't either.

Ditto on not letting those idiots in. I refuse to do it too.

A few years ago I went out twice with a guy who was somewhat of a selfish jerk. He was a doctor and had just purchased a new Jaguar and was one of those who couldn't wait in line with everyone else and had to try and cut. I laughed so hard after getting off the phone with him one evening when he had told me that the new Jag was a total wreck after he tried to cut around traffic backed up onto US 59 while trying to exit to the West Loop. He couldn't believe that someone else rear ended him at 40 MPH when he suddenly slammed on his brakes in the lane that was moving and tried to cut into the line of traffic right at the 610 exit ramp. He swore the other guy should have known he was going to do this and not hit him. The cops didn't see it that way, and gave the ticket to the doctor, not the guy who hit him. And no, he wasn't rushing to the hospital after being paged. He was driving home and being his usual impatient, I'm-better-than-you snobbish self.

all i can add is...just be careful - when not letting them in - roadrage seems a lot more common these days. you never know if some wacko will follow you home or if they have firearms in their car.

People who don't merge when they're supposed to are selfish jerks who cause unnecessary delay for the rest of us who follow the rules. They're probably the same people who cut in the elementary school cafeteria line as children.

Kudos to the semi truck drivers on rural interstates who straddle two lanes in order to keep these arrogant twits from speeding ahead to the front of the bottleneck.

People who drive slowly in the left lane are almost as bad. What part of "slower traffic keep right" do these people not understand?

Houston HOV lanes are the hardest thinks in my opinon. I have been to other cities with HOV lanes, but they don't have the barriers restricting you to get in and out. Can someone explan. Everytime I get in one, they end up taking me where I didn't mean to go.

Limited access points is what maks the HOV's work, in my opinion. I've often driven the Katy Fwy. HOV westbound all the way from where it begins just west of Washington Ave. all the way out to where it ends just east of Grand Pkwy. in Katy. Just west of the HOV exit at Addicks Park and Ride/ Hwy. 6, it becomes simply marked lanes with no barricades, and the whole experience changes!

From Washington to Addicks/Hwy. 6, it is barricaded with controlled access, and I can almost always drive with my cruise control on, sit back relax and not have to worry about idiots changing lanes, etc. Honestly, it's the only place in Houston where I can truly, safely use my cruise control at all!

But once it changes to the open access lanes from Addicks/Hwy. 6 to Grand Pkwy, forget it. Somedays there is more lane changing on that stretch of HOV than there is in the mainlanes!

Sadly, I'm told that plans are to build most new HOVs in this open access manner, largely it seems to appease the "if there's pavement, I've got a dadburn right to drive on it" crowd.

People who don't merge when they're supposed to are selfish jerks who cause unnecessary delay for the rest of us who follow the rules. They're probably the same people who cut in the elementary school cafeteria line as children.

On the other hand, I have been stuck in situations when driving on a freeway with which I am not very familiar. There can be times of day when the traffic for a given exit may start accumulating well before one would think to "get over" just by following the signs. The everyday travelers know what to do depending on the time of day, but it can leave the naive driver in a bit of a jam trying to get in the right place at the right time.

While we're on pet peeves, here is another:

Those signal lights where there is one dedicated left turn lane - and then a second lane where you may turn left or go straight - BUT - there is a dedicated signal light for turning left.

It is easy to get caught in that second lane to turn left with a red light - while others behind you are presuming to go straight and they have a green light.

(This is hard to explain so hope you are following me.)

When I am aware of these, I try to avoid that second turn lane, but at times I find myself in that turn lane with a red light just praying I do not get plowed into!

One more...

After living several years in Atascocita, I got to where I despised the continuous left turn lane on a heavily developed thoroughfare with a high speed limit. (FM 1960 in this case.)

When there are a large number of businesses on both sides, this could be a "life flashing before your eyes experience" to go from traveling 50-60 in the main lane and then rapdily decelerating into the continuous left turn lane, while praying that your neighbor coming at you is not wanting to do the same.

These are CRAZY!

After driving on 1960, to get on US 59 felt like an oasis of meditation.

End of rant (for now!).

On the other hand, I have been stuck in situations when driving on a freeway with which I am not very familiar.  There can be times of day when the traffic for a given exit may start accumulating well before one would think to "get over" just by following the signs. The everyday travelers know what to do depending on the time of day, but it can leave the naive driver in a bit of a jam trying to get in the right place at the right time.

While we're on pet peeves, here is another:

Those signal lights where there is one dedicated left turn lane - and then a second lane where you may turn left or go straight - BUT - there is a dedicated signal light for turning left.

It is easy to get caught in that second lane to turn left with a red light - while others behind you are presuming to go straight and they have a green light.

(This is hard to explain so hope you are following me.)

When I am aware of these, I try to avoid that second turn lane, but at times I find myself in that turn lane with a red light just praying I do not get plowed into!

One more...

After living several years in Atascocita, I got to where I despised the continuous left turn lane on a heavily developed thoroughfare with a high speed limit.  (FM 1960 in this case.)

When there are a large number of businesses on both sides, this could be a "life flashing before your eyes experience" to go from traveling 50-60 in the main lane and then rapdily decelerating into the continuous left turn lane, while praying that your neighbor coming at you is not wanting to do the same.

These are CRAZY!

After driving on 1960, to get on US 59 felt like an oasis of meditation.

End of rant (for now!).

Its ok, people in the Woodlands have absolutely NO IDEA what to do at a 4-way stop. Its crazy.

HOV should only have egress and access every several exits to work right. The DC area has a freeway that has basically an interior multi-lane that works like that and then outer freeway with access/egress at every interchange.

I was in Houston during the contraflow experiment. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Opposing traffic on your side of the freeway, along with the trucks and crews placing and removing pylons. I am surprised there were not many bad, head-on collisions. Given time, it would have happened.

I was in Houston during the contraflow experiment. It was a disaster waiting to happen. Opposing traffic on your side of the freeway, along with the trucks and crews placing and removing pylons. I am surprised there were not many bad, head-on collisions. Given time, it would have happened.

I wasn't in Houston for the contraflow experiment, but I know that in Cincinnati they have places where they've had contraflow for decades. Some of the signs look like they're from the 50's.

The difference is that they do it on main arteries, not the freeways. Streets that are the equivalent of Westheimer or Memorial where traffic patterns are pretty predictable.

When I was a kid they did a lot of this in New York at the bridges and tunnels. I'm not sure if they still do.

Chicago does a combination. They have "reversable" lanes which are like Houston's HOVs, but anyone can drive in them. They're two lanes wide and change directions depending on the time of day. I think a plain old HOV would work better, and I'm amazed that a city as large as Chicago doesn't have any HOVs at all.

On the other hand, I have been stuck in situations when driving on a freeway with which I am not very familiar. There can be times of day when the traffic for a given exit may start accumulating well before one would think to "get over" just by following the signs. The everyday travelers know what to do depending on the time of day, but it can leave the naive driver in a bit of a jam trying to get in the right place at the right time.

What I don't understand is where in Houston is there no next exit? Why stop in the middle of the freeway to try and cut in, there is alway always another exit. Basically the mentality is I'm more important than you! Really irritates me.

On 59 South exit to 610, TXDOT put some reflector poles in the triangular shaped median which these "selfish asses" seem to think is a special merge lane for them, it lasted all of one week before all of them were run over!

If Metro police would just station a police car there it would take care of it.

On 59 South exit to 610, TXDOT put some reflector poles in the triangular shaped median which these "selfish asses" seem to think is a special merge lane for them, it lasted all of one week before all of them were run over!

You know how to solve that problem, right? Boxes with cinder blocks.

What I don't understand is where in Houston is there no next exit?

i agree...and people just don't give themselves enough time.

another example of this: going westbound on holcombe after 288, the right lane becomes a turn only lane. the left two lanes are always backed up (because of the people trying to get out of the turn lane).

and gee (the motorist thinks), i wonder why the third lane is so empty? i guess i'll drive down it and see why....d'oh...

just freakin turn right and make a uturn! :rolleyes: