Celebrating 100

The complete story from The Chronicle: Car, lightrail collide in 100th accident involving train

---

Well, it's happened. The 100th vehicle/light rail collision! Here's to 100 more! Happy Birthday!.... errr.... I mean... uh....

Yup, 100 light rail accidents in less than 2 years of service, way to go Houston! :blink:

Just so people don't try to blame the train again...

The driver of the car was ticketed for turning into the left-turn lane on Fannin in violation of a flashing red light that indicates the lane is unavailable.

I'm convinced that everyone here drives like they're from Mexico. Oh, wait ... They are. :rolleyes:

Light Rail on Main is stupid because transit planners should know that Houstonians (and other Americans, for that matter) are such complete morons, that they cannot be trusted to read signs and follow signals that tell them to stay out of the way of 90,000 pound vehicles.

For this same reason, people who enter intersections in their car on a green light are stupid, as well. They should know that idiots don't obey red lights.

Pedestrians are also stupid. See above.

Bicyclists are similarly stupid.

My firm belief is that anyone who thinks that at grade transit is stupid because drivers don't follow the rules is admitting that they themselves don't follow traffic rules, and therefore, should forfeit their driver's license. Plastic, you first.

Light Rail on Main is stupid because transit planners should know that Houstonians (and other Americans, for that matter) are such complete morons, that they cannot be trusted to read signs and follow signals that tell them to stay out of the way of 90,000 pound vehicles.

It works just fine in other cities. Not so well in others.

And also in New Orleans.

Berline has a LRT that runs through a large pedestrian square where people just move out of the way when the train comes. Watch the Bourne Supremacy and you'll see it in action.

And also in New Orleans.

Berline has a LRT that runs through a large pedestrian square where people just move out of the way when the train comes.  Watch the Bourne Supremacy and you'll see it in action.

What a coincidence, I was watching the Bourne Supremacy on my PSP on the subway on the way to work today.

Other cities with low/no collisions between cars and street-level rail:

Portland, Oregon

Vienna

Brussels

Antwerp

Prague

Amsterdam

Houstonians just need to learn to coexist with trains on the roads. As has been pointed out it happens in many other cities, so why not here.

BTW sorry for being off topic, but is a PSP worth the money? Also I already have an Ipod (which coincidentally costs more than the PSP)

Houstonians just need to learn to coexist with trains on the roads.  As has been pointed out it happens in many other cities, so why not here.

BTW sorry for being off topic, but is a PSP worth the money?  Also I already have an Ipod (which coincidentally costs more than the PSP)

iPod and PSP are different machines that share a few features. I got a PSP because I wanted to play games but didn't want to have the wires and mess associated with a dedicated box hooked up to my TV. The fact that I can rip my DVDs to it is just a bonus. When I first got it I used it like an iPod (I have a bunch of those, too) and it was cumbersome for the task.

Remember, the iPod's main advantages are size and the ability to sync with iTunes. the PSP does neither of those. The iPod fits in my pants pocket (or in the case of my shuffle -- around my neck). The PSP only fits in the pocket of a trench coat.

So, if you're interested in buying a machine to watch videos on trips or play games on the run, the PSP is great.

If you want to listen to music or podcasts, then you can't go wrong with an iPod. A 1GB Memory Stick for the PSP costs $99. For 20 bucks more you can get a 1GB iPod shuffle that does the same thing, but better because it's more portable and you can change songs by sticking you hand in your pocket and pushing an intuitive button.

If you can have only one? I guess it depends on what's more important to you -- capability or portability.

Ok thanks for the info. I was mostly wondering if it was worth it since one of the features is pretty much useless for me since I have a 20 gb photo Ipod. And I also have a "dedicated box" ;) hooked up to my TV (I am so happy SOCOM II is working again). I would like something that I could play games and watch movies on the go with though. One last question you said something about ripping DVDs. If I already have a movie can I get it onto a UMD without buying the same movie for the PSP. Also is there anyway to watch a UMD on a normal TV?

You can't watch a UMD on a TV. You can't rip a DVD to a UMD. At this time all of the UMD burning machines are in Japan and owned by Sony. It's one way they're trying to control movie piracy in the new format. All software makers and movie publishers who want their stuff on UMD have to go through Sony. That's one of the reasons so many Sony movies are on UMD.

When I rip a DVD to watch on my PSP I watch it off of a memory stick. I have a 512mb one in there which costs about $50. It can hold one or two full-length movies, depending on how long full-length is. The Bourne Supremacy is 266mb, so there's lots of room for documents, music, photos, etc... on the same memory stick. I guestimate that you could put 3 to 3.5 hours of video on a 512mb stick, or 7 hours on a 1gb stick. What I've done is pre-ripped my DVDs to the PSP format (which is actually Quicktime) and keep them on a DVD-R. When I want to put a different movie on the PSP I just hook up the USB cable and copy the file into the right folder. It takes all of 15 seconds.

Sony and a couple of other companies sell little silver boxes that act essentially like VCRs, but record onto memory sticks which you can then jam into your PSP. So, you could record Letterman or something each night and then in the morning just pop the stick into your PSP and you're ready to go.

My firm belief is that anyone who thinks that at grade transit is stupid because drivers don't follow the rules is admitting that they themselves don't follow traffic rules, and therefore, should forfeit their driver's license.  Plastic, you first.

I couldn't agree more. Houston's light rail system has the most safety features of any in-street, at-grade light rail system in this country (possibly the world) yet one of the worst safety records. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

I couldn't agree more. Houston's light rail system has the most safety features of any in-street, at-grade light rail system in this country (possibly the world) yet one of the worst safety records. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

That's a good point. Most of the light rail/tram systems I've seen around the world have had little or no signage or other methods of protecting cars and pedestrians from trains. In many cities, the trams go right across public squares where thousands of people are walking.

Vienna has a good idea -- parts of the Ringstrasse tram line are separated from vehicular traffic by bike lanes and shrubs on each side. But there are still many many street crossings.

I just think that so many people are just selfish and don't think that they have to look out. They want to go in that direction and they go.

I just don't understand how hard it is to miss all the signs and still get hit by something the size of two 18-Wheelers. How can you miss that.

The only thing I can see is if someone can't speak english, but the signage in the US is part of the international signing. It's pretty consistant.

Also, the 30-40 seconds your stuck behind a redlight (which is a long redlight) will not make you any later than you already are.

• 1 year later...

It was announced at the metro meeting that (as of the taping of this meeting, which I believe was thursday), that it has been 54 days without a single accident on the rail line.

s quite significant to those that seem to constantly ridicule the light rail has had in the past couple of years.

perhaps this is a major turning point where the public has become knowledgeable, or at least aware of, driving properly around the rail system.

Should be interesting to see what a certain website would have to say about this since they haven't updated their "crash count" in several months.

Archived