Talk A Walk Down Telephone Rd.

Subdude

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a native Houstonian and a sixth generation Texan. I can basically trace almost every event of my life back to Telephone Road or something that was at least within a couple of miles of Telephone Road. At its North end Telephone turns into Leeland and goes into downtown, just a few blocks from Leeland is St Josephs Hospital where I was born. At the South end Telephone turns into SH35/ N. Main in Pearland and crosses Dixie Farm Road on the South side of Pearland. I currently live about 2 miles from 35 off Dixie Farm. When I came home from the hospital my parents lived in some apartments on Woodridge just a couple of hundred feet from Telephone. I grew up just off Telephone and Broad near Griggs and spent a lot of time running up and down Telephone. My first movie adventure on my own was a double feature at the Santa Rosa featuring "The Alamo" and "The Charge of the Light Brigade" on a rainy Saturday afternoon. My Father was friends with Charlie West who was the owner of the Hicory Stick Bar-b-que place. Dad's Ice House was Sheffields at Telephone and Lancaster and its still there today. Mom used to shop at the A&P which was at the corner of Telephone and McHenry. Just down McHenry was Golfcrest Elementary where I went to school from the 2nd to the fifth grade. The place we got our donuts and kolaches is still there just north of Long Drive called the Kolache Shop. My Father got all his hardware from Golfcrest Hardware. I remember the Four Palms and the articles in the Chronicle referring to it as the pressure cooker because housewives used to go there in the afternoons looking for romance and got home late and had to cook dinner in the pressure cooker so it would be ready by the time Dad got home. It's called Las Palmas today. I remeber the stretch of clubd and dirty bookstores on Telephone just south of the TeleWink Grill and the unsavory types that hung out there. I had a friend who lived on Plumb Creek just off Telephone near the Hickory Stick. His mom was a waitress at the Hickory Stick and we spent a lot of time at Leons the little convience store that was next to the strip of clubs. Stubbs Cycles forst building backed up to his house and one year playing with some fireworks we caught a bunch of boxes and styrofoam on fire behind Stubbs and we thought we were going to burn the place down.

Telephone Road brings back a lot of memories of my childhood and growing up in Houston.

By the way, I heard its called Telephone Road because the original long distance phone lines into Houston were strung along the path Telephone Road runs and they just got to calling it the Telephone Road and the name stuck.

At its North end Telephone turns into Leeland and goes into downtown, just a few blocks from Leeland is St Josephs Hospital where I was born.

Actually, Telephone is disjointed at the north end. It takes a jog up Ernestine and starts again just south of Polk, then continues in a northwesterly alignment to McKinney, where it ends and Eastwood Street begins.

Yeah thats true but to anyone who doesn't know very specific details it seems it just turns into Leeland right before the new Cage Elementary, so for my purposes I just kind of see it turning into Leeland. I found out years ago where Telephone actually went when I went to a meeting at the Knights of Columbus Hall right there. It's address is actually on Telephone Road. My cousins lived in Broadmore and attended the old Cage. I went to Jr High at Jackson on Polk.

brerrabbit,

Sheffields on Telephone was owned by the same family that owns Sheffields Grocery on MLK. I grew up across what was then South Park Blvd.. It was a small green building with garage doors on three sides they have since built a big store there. I was in there almost everyday buying models and balsa wood airplanes. During a flood in the late 60s early 70s we took a flat bottom rowboat from our house on Southseas across to Sheffields back down Southseas to Crestmont to Van Fleet by the old KMart back to Southseas down South Park without ever touching ground.

joe

Wasn't there a reasonably spectacular big wavy slide (the kind kids slide down on a piece of cardboard or waxed paper) at Almeda-Genoa and Telephone? There where it makes the one-block jog north to continue to the east? ISTR a ?junkyard? there on the lot in the 80's and remnants of the slide structure still being visible.

Marty

Yes, there was one of those big slides in a junkyard there. It sat there for years and years rusting away and finally one day it was just gone. Further on down Telephone was the Telephone road drive in theater which had three screens at the time it closed. I went there in the 80s after it closed and was able to get into the projection booth where they had left all the equipment behind with film still on the reels. I took two or three rolls of film that day of the booth, it's contents and also the snack bar which you could not get into, but still had all its fixtures. I returned there about two years later and the projection booth building had caved in, the projectors were gone and the snack bar was empty. Two more years later, the screens had been dismantled. It was abandoned for probably seven or eight years before the area was finally levelled off.

Does anyone know where one of the pre-JSC NASA buildings used to be? There was one somewhere on or around Telephone Rd. What I know, which may be incorrect, is that there were buildings or office space being rented at Telephone Rd., Gulfgate Mall (in the basement areas), and at UH, possibly an old KUHF building. All this was at the very begginings of NASA, pre-1964, before they broke ground at what is now Johnson Space Center. The original group of people came from a pre-NASA organization called "NACA", from Virginia if I am not mistaken. Anyone have any info on this?

Yes, there was one of those big slides in a junkyard there. It sat there for years and years rusting away and finally one day it was just gone. Further on down Telephone was the Telephone road drive in theater which had three screens at the time it closed. I went there in the 80s after it closed and was able to get into the projection booth where they had left all the equipment behind with film still on the reels. I took two or three rolls of film that day of the booth, it's contents and also the snack bar which you could not get into, but still had all its fixtures. I returned there about two years later and the projection booth building had caved in, the projectors were gone and the snack bar was empty. Two more years later, the screens had been dismantled. It was abandoned for probably seven or eight years before the area was finally levelled off.

Yeah the guy would pay neighborhood kids, my brother being one, to coat/wax the superslide. it was located right where the current 2laned Almeda Genoa runs into Telephone.

I remember 2 screens at the Telephone theater. At least per Google it hasn't been completely levelled off.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...mp;t=h&om=1

Does anyone know where one of the pre-JSC NASA buildings used to be? There was one somewhere on or around Telephone Rd. What I know, which may be incorrect, is that there were buildings or office space being rented at Telephone Rd., Gulfgate Mall (in the basement areas), and at UH, possibly an old KUHF building. All this was at the very begginings of NASA, pre-1964, before they broke ground at what is now Johnson Space Center. The original group of people came from a pre-NASA organization called "NACA", from Virginia if I am not mistaken. Anyone have any info on this?

There's a post on HAIF hat has a great map of several of the nasa buildings pre JSC. One building on telephone is still there on the corner of Telephone and Westover. It's the Ambox building I believe. Office City (near Woodridge) also housed several facilities. I also have a Texas magazine which was all about JSC. This issue is from approx 1962 and discusses Clear Lake as a master planned community and even had a map which is still surprising accurate today. The only "wrong" thing i saw was that the townhome area across from JSC credit union on Saturn was supposed to be more office commercial vs. residential. I think there were even a few high rises.

I think I've mentioned this before but a Pecan Park resident used to be a NASA photographer and she has some wonderful memories about the astronauts eating lunch at Gulfgate, etc. She said the person she was most excited to meet was Wernher Von Braun himself!!

Does anyone know where one of the pre-JSC NASA buildings used to be? There was one somewhere on or around Telephone Rd. What I know, which may be incorrect, is that there were buildings or office space being rented at Telephone Rd. Anyone have any info on this?

There is a thread on HAIF somewhere that discusses the old buildings esp the old HQ, current parks dept building on wayside.

The building on telephone road is currently the Ambox building (i think they make boxes). It's on the NW corner of Telephone and Westover. There is a picture on the internet somewhere of JFK looking at some mockups or some such inside that building.

Check out chapter 3 of the history of jsc. It discusses setting up operations in Houston.

it also has the map of all the early facilities - that i think musicman was referring to.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/suddenly_t...ow/suddenly.htm

here is the previous HAIF thread on the topic:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...080&hl=nasa

the map is there too.

There's a post on HAIF hat has a great map of several of the nasa buildings pre JSC. One building on telephone is still there on the corner of Telephone and Westover. It's the Ambox building I believe. Office City (near Woodridge) also housed several facilities. I also have a Texas magazine which was all about JSC. This issue is from approx 1962 and discusses Clear Lake as a master planned community and even had a map which is still surprising accurate today. The only "wrong" thing i saw was that the townhome area across from JSC credit union on Saturn was supposed to be more office commercial vs. residential. I think there were even a few high rises.

That would be this post. NASA Map

Check out chapter 3 of the history of jsc. It discusses setting up operations in Houston.

it also has the map of all the early facilities - that i think musicman was referring to.

Yep that's the map. most of the facilities of interest are still around. I'm gonna have to go hunt for the East End State bank.

Cool. Where did you find that?

I think that nightclub didn't last too long. From what I could find it was out of business in the early 1960s.

I saw Jimmy Reed and Albert King there in 1966 so it was still there then. It was packed that night, surprise of the night was when Lightnin' Hopkins walked out on stage and jammed with Jimmy Reed, talk about a night to remember.

There is a thread on HAIF somewhere that discusses the old buildings esp the old HQ, current parks dept building on wayside.

The building on telephone road is currently the Ambox building (i think they make boxes). It's on the NW corner of Telephone and Westover. There is a picture on the internet somewhere of JFK looking at some mockups or some such inside that building.

Wow, I did not know that. Before it was the Parks Dept. it was StransSteel HQ. I always thought they built it for themselves.

joe

The old East End State Bank was on Leeland right before Cullen on the left as you drove towards downtown. Ballatoris was across the street in what looked like a converted house. On the corner at Leeland and Cullen is Mandola's Deli that still has some pretty good food. Joe Mandola who ownes it lives in Pearland and is a cousin to the Mandola that owns Nino's and Vincents. The old East End Bank building was taken over by the city after it moved to its new location on the Gulf Freeway. I think its a water utilities building now. The building East End moved to is on the Gulf Freeway right in front of U of H on the freeway feeder. It was built to look like a cash register and the bank has since been aquired by another bank that still occupies it.

The Ambox building and the Parks Department building are two seperate ones. Ambox is at Westover near the point where Telephone and Reville come together. The Parks building is on Wayside north of Griggs road. A friend of mine growing up had an Uncle who was the night security guy at the old Stran Steel Company and we used to go see him sometimes when he was working and look around the place. His uncle lived at the Rock Motel on Telephone which was basically right across the bayou from where he worked and we spent a couple of summers swimming at the pool there. We also fished for alligator gar off the Telephone Road bridge across the bayou that was also right there.

The old East End State Bank was on Leeland right before Cullen on the left as you drove towards downtown. Ballatoris was across the street in what looked like a converted house. The old East End Bank building was taken over by the city after it moved to its new location on the Gulf Freeway. I think its a water utilities building now. The building East End moved to is on the Gulf Freeway right in front of U of H on the freeway feeder. It was built to look like a cash register and the bank has since been aquired by another bank that still occupies it.

Thanks for the info....I know exactly where you are talking about.

Regarding early NASA facilities along Telepohone Rd, I was assigned to the Franklin Apartment complex. This was near the interesection of Telephone and Wayside, and as I recall, right across I-45 from the Petroleum Center (where other NASA offices were located); I remember needing to go over to the Petroleum Center for meetings, and could literally see it from my office, but had to "go the long way around" to actually get to it.

Does anyone remember those Franklin apartments, and the street they were situated on?

it's a pretty seedy area - keep in mind that across the street are the eagle lounge, happy lounge, and the little toy club.

it looked like the gate served as a checkpoint to access the houses. maybe they don't like visitors...heh

That's is so hilarious to think that someone even photographed this dive! It's probably been filmed too (by undercover) for years. I used to work at Burger King a block or 2 away around "75". Talk about bizarre! I was just a teen and would see the most bizarre crowd shuffle in to get a whopper. It could be freezing and the exotic dancer's across the street would come in just a fur coat (imitation) and high heels! What! Sometimes they were men, so the area was up there with Montrose. Sometimes there would be shootings and stabbings across the street and we would just yawn, it was just so common. Still can't believe The BlueTop is still going full steam ahead! You go girls!

Yeah thats true but to anyone who doesn't know very specific details it seems it just turns into Leeland right before the new Cage Elementary, so for my purposes I just kind of see it turning into Leeland. I found out years ago where Telephone actually went when I went to a meeting at the Knights of Columbus Hall right there. It's address is actually on Telephone Road. My cousins lived in Broadmore and attended the old Cage. I went to Jr High at Jackson on Polk.

If everyone looks at the link :

http://www.cah.utexas.edu

and search Theaters, there is The Eastwood I was told this is where Telephone Road actually starts!

My old stomping grounds too.

Any idea when abouts your cousins went to the original old Rufus Cage? We attended 1969-73 ish. There is another thread dedicated to Cage Elementary pretty cool. I was always teased that we went to a BIRD CAGE!

Funny. I also went to Jackson JR H aaprox 1974-76, talked about cutlure shock! It was quite turbulent even then. We were just too young and used to the camp,innocent 60's I guess. There were plenty of huge cafeteria riots, gang fights (no one ever got along with the crowd from the other side of the frwy) and vice versa. The school was already what 50 yrs old? We remember all the faculty well. I recall all those old trophies in the glass cases up front. So mysterious cause they dated to the 1920's. I still have dreams I am rushing to get to class on time and I cant open my locker fast enough! I still have my old combination lock & number. 32-10-4 gym was 46-36-26 now thats scary! Like another person shouted earlier...Go Leopards!

and search Theaters, there is The Eastwood I was told this is where Telephone Road actually starts!

Any idea when abouts your cousins went to the original old Rufus Cage? We attended 1969-73 ish. There is another thread dedicated to Cage Elementary pretty cool. I was always teased that we went to a BIRD CAGE!

Funny. I also went to Jackson JR H aaprox 1974-76, talked about cutlure shock! It was quite turbulent even then. We were just too young and used to the camp,innocent 60's I guess. There were plenty of huge cafeteria riots, gang fights (no one ever got along with the crowd from the other side of the frwy) and vice versa. The school was already what 50 yrs old? We remember all the faculty well. I recall all those old trophies in the glass cases up front. So mysterious cause they dated to the 1920's. I still have dreams I am rushing to get to class on time and I cant open my locker fast enough! I still have my old combination lock & number. 32-10-4 gym was 46-36-26 now thats scary! Like another person shouted earlier...Go Leopards!

I went to Jackson from Fall of 1971 through the Spring of 1974. My last cousin to attend Cage would have been Sharon Diamond and I think she was a year behind me. She never made it to Jackson because she lived with her Grandmother, my Great Aunt who moved when her husband retired to Hempstead and Sharon finished school there. Her two older brothers had already graduated from Austin by then, their names were John and Bernie Chambers. I was probably in the 9th grade at Jackson when you were in seventh as I graduated from Milby in 1977.

Wow. See now that's a theater! Puts the RO Theater to shame.

From one of the photos of the site and your description of it as being where Telephone Road starts, I think it might have been at or near where Lantrip Elementary is now, but I could be wrong.

e_bb_1760_pub.jpg

you were reading my mind isuredid. thx. looks like the intersection was redesigned subsequently. Eddington is still there and since the old houses are as well. you've got to assume that is how it was back then.

isuredid any maps of lockwood nearby?

Thanks. So it appears to be the northwest corner of Telephone and Lockwood, per the present street-naming conventions, right across from Fire Station #18.

the map makes me think leeland used to turn into eddington with telephone bisecting them.

Archived