Nyc World Trade Center

What does everyone think of the redevelopment plans for the World Trade Center site in NYC? After visiting before and after 9/11, there is definitely a huge hole in the skyline and in the city. I am not a huge fan of the freedom tower but it will grow on me I am sure.

Here is a rendering:

dbox_WTC_Southwest.jpg

Imo it's not bad, but it's not great either. The designers had to answer to a lot of constituencies, so some compromises were necessary. I agree with Space City about the top. It's understandable they didn't want to have office space too high, but it seems a bit silly to add a skeleton just to get to an arbitrary height of 1776 feet. The twist in the "Freedom Tower" is a nice touch.

Its ok, but not the best. I HATE how the architects are bastardizing the entire thing (excuse my language) with their egotistical bickering (between Childs and libeskind, and such) I would prefer a full reconstruction.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I read that in the Times yesterday. It's all very sad. New York hasn't been New York in a long time, and it never will be again. There are no more leaders. No more people willing to take risks. No one willing to do what's right, in spite of the cost.

I read that in the Times yesterday. It's all very sad. New York hasn't been New York in a long time, and it never will be again. There are no more leaders. No more people willing to take risks. No one willing to do what's right, in spite of the cost.

I'm disappointed in this too. I was really looking forward to packing thousands upon thousands of government personnel into some internationally-significant symbols of American imperialism veiled with contrived names which falsely imply that a private enterprise operating on the basis of reason so as to maximize their own benefit might actually want to office there. ...of course, I'm the type of person who finds humor in absurdity.

You mean those weren't risks Wall Street was taking that helped put us in this mess? jk ;)

Archived