Good News For Humble Residents Near IAH

Woldn't making the ceiling higher make for trickier/bumpier/more dangerous landings?

It reminds me of an airport I heard about in California (Orange County/John Wayne Airport, I think) where the pilots have to turn their engines off when approaching the airport over a particular neighborhood, then have to quick turn the engines back on just before landing.

Also, talk about hurting the ears. The fast drop in altitude will make this worse.

I've experienced this landing at Dallas Love Airport and Washington National.

I haven't had issues flying in and out of IAH before. I guess they may start.

Hey MidtownCoog,

Maybe you know this. How much of the affects of landing and how my ears feel is due to the Airport constraints, pilot, and or both. Does atmospheric conditions in general affect it?

Just wondering. I've been on flights and have know issues at all in the landing and some just affect my ears a lot.

I'd much rather go back to when I was younger and had tubes (real small) in my ear drums (for other reasons) and flying did absolutly nothing to me. I would never feel the pressure change since the tubes equalized it.

Many younger children get these tubes because of fluid build up behind the ear drums. Many doctors just leave them in after they finish draining (they need to stay in about a year). Mine stayed in for about 7 years. many times they'll come out there own. The only thing you have to remember when still having one in is to wear earplugs while swimming. But they are great for flying.

Different aircraft pressurize or depressurize at different altitudes, which will affect your ears. And in unpressurized aircraft you will feel it once you get to altitude.

Mine pop on the elevator every day around floor 28.

Using the valsalva maneuver frequently (exhale with mouth and ears closed) can be your best friend.

• The title was changed to Good News For Humble Residents Near IAH