Houston Anti-idling ordinance petition

trymahjong

From AirAlliance enewsletter

I hadn't heard of this before

Houston Anti-Idling Ordinance Petition

Idling from diesel engines creates air pollution and health risks all over the city. From the scores of trucks lined up in neighborhoods around the ship channel to school buses waiting to bring our children home for the day, it is safe to say that all of us are adversely affected by this issue.

Help Air Alliance Houston gain traction on an Anti-Idling Ordinance in Houston by signing the petition today

A little info on AirAlliance

Air Alliance Houston wants clean air so our economy, quality of life, and children can thrive.

Our mission is to reduce air pollution in the Houston region and protect public health and environmental integrity through research, education, and advocacy. We are the Houston region’s leading environmental health and air quality nonprofit.

Air Alliance Houston was formed more than twenty-five years ago as GHASP, the Galveston-Houston association for Smog Prevention. Now we are bigger and better than ever. We are strong advocates for Houston's environmental justice communities. Our educational programs, including Ozone Theater and Air Pollution Solutions, reach 5,000 students every year. We also host Earth Day Houston, Houston's premier celebration of our planet at Discovery Green.

Our office is located in East Downtown Houston. We’re always looking for motivated individuals who want to help us reduce air pollution and protect our health. You can donate to our organization, volunteer your time, or explore our programs to learn more about us. Please contact us at info@airalliancehouston.org if you have questions or want to get involved.

Saw this on "Green Dallas webpage---

Maybe this is what got the Houston people talking?

Motor vehicles weighing over 14,000 pounds are prohibited from idling for more than five minutes within the City of Dallas, and several other areas throughout North Texas. Previously, this ordinance was in effect during April through October. As of November 7, 2011, the ordinance is in effect ALL YEAR.

The purpose of the anti-idling ordinance is to help improve air quality in Dallas and throughout the ten-county non-attainment region. Transportation accounts for more than 70 percent of the air pollution that leads to the formation of ozone.

Many believe idling uses less fuel than shutting off and restarting an engine. Idling for ten seconds can use as much gas as restarting your engine. Shut it off while waiting and save some money. Others believe that idling helps warm the engine to make things run better, including emissions controls. Idling does not get the engine warm enough to do any good; driving heats the engine to get the emissions controls working. Additionally, excessive idling can reduce the engine life by building up carbon or combustion elements and damage exhaust systems by condensing water in your tailpipe, leading to corrosion and eventual repairs.

The U.S. EPA estimates that IDLING is responsible for:

Over one billion gallons of diesel fuel consumed annually in the U.S.

Over 11 million tons of carbon dioxide, 200 thousand tons of nitrogen oxides, and 5,000 tons of particulate matter emitted annually in the U.S.

Increased engine maintenance costs and a 20 percent decrease in engine life

Impaired driver health

Reduce Idling at Schools

Parents want what is best for their children. Yet every day, hundreds of cars and buses idle needlessly while waiting for children after school. No one wants their child standing near an idling tailpipe, exposing their little lungs to the damaging effects of idling, but everyday it happens. Shut off your vehicle while waiting for your student. Encourage your school to put up signs asking parents and bus drivers to shut off engines.

If you would like information on how to make your school idle free, visit EPA’s Idle Free Schools website.

Schools can order an anti-idling sign or brochures here.

(One sign and post are offered free. There will be a charge for additional signs and posts. Brochures are free.)

Reduce Idling at Work

Trucks and vehicles loading and unloading materials or people often idle for convenience. These emissions can move indoors to work spaces through ventilation systems and open passages, exposing workers to noxious emissions.

Businesses can order an anti-idling sign or brochures here. (One sign is offered free. There will be a charge for additional signs. Brochures are free.)

To Report an Idling Vehicle

If you see a vehicle over 14,000 pounds idling for over 5 minutes, please dial 311 and report the vehicle’s license plate number to the operator.

Parents want what is best for their children. Yet every day, hundreds of cars and buses idle needlessly while waiting for children after school. No one wants their child standing near an idling tailpipe, exposing their little lungs to the damaging effects of idling, but everyday it happens. Shut off your vehicle while waiting for your student. Encourage your school to put up signs asking parents and bus drivers to shut off engines.

If you would like information on how to make your school idle free, visit EPA’s Idle Free Schools website.

Schools can order an anti-idling sign or brochures here.

(One sign and post are offered free. There will be a charge for additional signs and posts. Brochures are free.)

So someone thinks that the well-made up soccer moms of Dallas are going to sit in their Suburbans and sweat while waiting for the kids to be dismissed from school?

So someone thinks that the well-made up soccer moms of Dallas are going to sit in their Suburbans and sweat while waiting for the kids to be dismissed from school?

I'd hate to see what a 14,000 lb. Suburban would run in gas, period. I think the soccer moms are safe, I don't even think the biggest ones weigh more than 6k at best.

What does DART do about their buses? Metro stops at the end of each route's line and idles for 15-30 minutes every trip, each end of the line. What about train locomotives? There are constantly idling units in the various yards and sidings around town, and some of these sit there running for days on end.

I'd be interested in knowing how long it took Dallas to fully implement this regulation. Certainly an idea worthy of exploration.

I'd hate to see what a 14,000 lb. Suburban would run in gas, period. I think the soccer moms are safe, I don't even think the biggest ones weigh more than 6k at best.

What does DART do about their buses? Metro stops at the end of each route's line and idles for 15-30 minutes every trip, each end of the line. What about train locomotives? There are constantly idling units in the various yards and sidings around town, and some of these sit there running for days on end.

I'd be interested in knowing how long it took Dallas to fully implement this regulation. Certainly an idea worthy of exploration.

lol...like this?

11ChevySuburban.jpg

Actually, what I was looking at was this part of the quote...

Encourage your school to put up signs asking parents and bus drivers to shut off engines.

Not that it's a bad idea, but most of the soccer moms I know, especially those from the Dallas area, aren't inclined to sweat in their cars.  That's what the gym is for.

Lmao! Well, if mom is picking up little Susie from school in that thing, gas consumption is likely the last thing on her mind! :D

I saw that about the encouragement of everyone's participation, but only vehicles in excess of the 14k pound designation would be required to shut down after 5 minutes. To tell you the truth, that is something I certainly wouldn't oppose. Standing next to a Chevy Suburban, Ford Expedition, or the like, is a far cry from standing next to a school bus or city bus sitting there in idle. Some of the Metro buses that stop up here at GP Mall and park for 15-20 minutes before they head back downtown, can really choke you up and bring your eyes to watering in a hurry. Eliminating the same from the front of the schools sounds like a win to me. I'd like to read more on this program in Dallas to see how it was implemented, exemptions to the ordinance, etc.

I certainly agree with you, august. I don't know many ladies, my wife included, that is going to sit in a baking car, with the engine off and the windows down, on a summer day in Houston. Nor would I imagine too many cooperative folks on a cold day without the heater blowing.

DART may have Diesel-Electric hybrids like METRO.

Archived