Showing Someone Houston

Gary

I've got several friends coming to town from LA and Vegas, and am trying to decide a rout or routs in which to show them our fair city. I've already decided that this tour will be a day long treck so time is not an issue, we'll be hitting the clubs the following evenings.

Anyway I was hoping that those on this board who are far more informed than I could give me some ideas on routing this tour.

Thanks in advance.

Try taking Memorial from downtown, to the west loop. Then, travel the loop south, to 288, and go towards downtown. Thus IMHO, is a pretty scenic route. You get to see Memorial park, The Galleria, and the awesome views from 288. If you want, you should also take them up to 45, circle around JUUST after 160 (You don't want them to see the nasty portion of the freeway N of that ;)) and then, head south towards DT, for the awesome view.

You could start an interesting drive with an area that may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, but that would show off Houston's international side. Take US 59 down to Hillcroft then up to Harwin (to show the Indo-Pak shops and restaurants). Take Harwin out to Fondren and go south (past the Ethiopian, Korean and Central American restaurants outside of Sharpstown Mall) down to Bellaire Blvd. Take Bellaire Blvd west through the miles and miles of Chinatown, all the way out to BW-8. Then you take BW-8 north through the office towers of Westchase up to Memorial. From there you begin your trip down Memorial for the

upscale side of Houston.

Take Memorial from Beltway 8 all the way into downtown...that way you start out in a nice wooded suburban area and end up with the amazing scene of downtown Houston looming over Buffalo Bayou.

Once you get into town, you've got to show off River Oaks, the Montrose, the Heights, the Museum District, Rice University, Rice Village and Third Ward. I'd recommend a drive through the Med Center and down MacGregor Blvd past Hermann Park. Take MacGregor across SH 288 through the beautiful mansions of Riverside Terrace. Head up Cullen Blvd through the University of Houston and across the Gulf Freeway into the Second Ward and East End. Lots of history over there.

Make your way over to Harrisburg, a city older than Houston, and up to the Ship Channel to see the backbone of Houston. Take a drive down Refinery Row (SH 225) through Pasadena, out to the San Jacinto Monument (birthplace of Texas Independence), and then down Hwy 146 along Galveston Bay. Drive down Todville Road, past the bayside mansions and the bayside shacks. Head all the way down to Galveston and check out the Strand and the Seawall.

Keep on driving till you run out of Seawall, then get off the Island via the San Luis Pass toll bridge. You're now on the Blue Water Highway, with unobstructed views of the Gulf all the way down to Surfside. Come over the "big bridge" on SH 332 from Surfside to SH 288. Drive up through the Brazos bottomlands, the home of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300", the original Anglo settlers of Texas. Pull off for a detour over to Brazos Bend State Park, full of swamps and gators.

Coming back up SH 288, nearing Houston, you'll get the best view of Houston's downtown skyline, with the added bonuses of Reliant Stadium, the Astrodome and the Texas Medical Center skylines.

Pull over at Fannin and 610, hop on the light rail and take it all the way to downtown for some drinks on Main Street and at Market Square. Finish by closing down the Lone Star Saloon with some of those recently liberated from the Huntsville Branch of TDC University. Maybe get into a fight and spend a day or two in the County lock-up.

I don't know, at this point maybe you've gone too far. Maybe stop just before you take a step into the Lone Star Saloon...

Sorry, I don't have any ideas, because I'm not from Houston. But as someone who lives right up the street from Houston, I get amazed just by the freeways. You can see a lot from them. Also the Galleria area and ride down Westhimer (inner loop).

definitely do the main street thing via rail (downtown/historic districts, museums, med center/rice u).

i don't go to clubs, but i'd recommend south beach...heh

and bastrop - i would think any visitors should make it a point to go to the HI-10 Cabaret first! :lol:

I don't get it. If you live in Houston, and you don't know where to take your vistors? Come on! How many years you live in Houston? Jesus! Have you heard of the Woodlands, Uptown, hell take them Downtown for crying out loud. Kemah, even Galveston 50 miles away, take them there if they wanna chill on the beach, or the seawall. Katy Mills, etc. If you wanna have fun and go dancing. It's alot of clubs in Houston they will enjoy. No doubt. Clubs and Resturants should be no problem to vistors here.

If you don't know where to take any vistors by now. I'll think you need to get out more.

I'm with Timmy Chan. That covers a lot of ground. Depending on time, I might skip Galveston/Freeport. But, I'd definitely do the refinery tour. We may talk smack on Pasadena, but that is one impressive row of industry. I usually take people to the icehouse in Morgan's Point, also. Get a beer and sit on the picnic tables and watch the tankers go by. From that vantage point, those things are huge.

I'd nix Katy Mills. It's not that attractive. The Woodlands can be very boring if you don't know where to take them. Certainly the Market Street may be worth touring, and there are some impressive homes on the north side of the lake, off of Panther Creek. But, the rest of it is lots of trees, which is great, but after a few minutes, it gets old. And most of the homes are the red brick suburban variety.

I'd probably whip through Uptown and then Rice Village, Heights, Allen Parkway, Downtown, Rice, Eastwood, and then the refinery tour and Morgan's Point.

Dependant on the season, I'll always take them to a sporting event. Astros games are always fun to show off Minute Maid Park, downtown.

Night games exhibit a nice view of the downtown lights.

During the day I'll take them down Memorial, maybe make a detour to check out the beer can house (222 Malone St.) among the mixed variety of homes. River Oaks mansions...down through West Gray into Montrose - Or take Westheimer east from Shepherd to Montrose. If your visitor is female - take her to LEAP, a boutique/house on Mulberry and Harold St. - It's a guaranteed charmer. Mosey down into the Rice area (MECOM fountain, Hermann Park and the museums, eventually driving into what I love to boast "the largest medical center in the world".

Head towards the Galleria and watch their jaws drop at it's monstrosity.

Uptown through Post Oak blvd. If you get the chance, take them down Memorial Dr., west of 610. Turn south on Farnham. There are some HUGE mansions old and new, but head to the end of the street where you will encounter a bizarre entrance to a house. There are no "Private Property" signs, so if you are daring...enter the windy road to a spectacular temple-like residence (100 yds from the entrance). It's a peculiar feeling, but worth a peek.

If your visitors want an enjoyable mexican food experience, take them to El Patio (Club no Minor) on Westheimer. If the weather is nice, sit outside at El Pueblito or Teala's. Ninfa's on Navigation is great too.

Steakhouses: 1) Pappa's 2) Taste of Texas 3) Flemings 4) Vic & Anthony's 5) The Strip House

Seafood: 1) The Fish 2) Pesce 3) Pappadeaux's 4) Azuma

Clubs: M Bar, Mercury Room, and many more off of Main St. and within Midtown.

Laid back drinking: Little Woodrows, any bar in Rice Village.

If your visitors want to see western, take them to Wild West on Richmond. But counter it one night with a visit to La Strada or Red Door.

Comedy Clubs: 1) Laff Stop - smaller than Improv but better.

Golf: 1) Memorial Park Golf Course - (a fine public course with great views of the Williams tower) 2) BlackHorse

Hope this info is useful.

If you want to be snobby, you can also do the "Mansion Marathon":

Start at N/S McGregor Drive @ Calhoun (near UH) then west through Riverside Terrace, across SH 288 and Almeda, then a right at Herman Loop and on through Herman Park, then left on Fannin, then left on Rice Blvd, then west to Kirby, then Kirby up to Shepherd/Memorial, then west on Memorial all the way out to the Beltway.

Obviously, your drive won't just show wealthy neighborhoods, which is a plus, and the only real traffic you're likely to hit is on Kirby from the Village to about Westheimer.

I don't get it. If you live in Houston, and you don't know where to take your vistors? Come on! How many years you live in Houston? Jesus! Have you heard of the Woodlands, Uptown, hell take them Downtown for crying out loud. Kemah, even Galveston 50 miles away, take them there if they wanna chill on the beach, or the seawall. Katy Mills, etc. If you wanna have fun and go dancing. It's alot of clubs in Houston they will enjoy. No doubt. Clubs and Resturants should be no problem to vistors here.

If you don't know where to take any vistors by now. I'll think you need to get out more.

Hopefully my friends won't encounter your kind of harshness among the people they meet here. One of the biggest things that attracted me to Houston was the kindness of the people.

This is a huge city my friend and I thought I would rely on some of the experts on this forum to guide me, so forgive me if I've irritated you (extreme sarcasm).

I'm with Timmy Chan.  That covers a lot of ground.  Depending on time, I might skip Galveston/Freeport.  But, I'd definitely do the refinery tour.  We may talk smack on Pasadena, but that is one impressive row of industry.  I usually take people to the icehouse in Morgan's Point, also.  Get a beer and sit on the picnic tables and watch the tankers go by.  From that vantage point, those things are huge.

I'd nix Katy Mills.  It's not that attractive.  The Woodlands can be very boring if you don't know where to take them.  Certainly the Market Street may be worth touring, and there are some impressive homes on the north side of the lake, off of Panther Creek.  But, the rest of it is lots of trees, which is great, but after a few minutes, it gets old.  And most of the homes are the red brick suburban variety.

I'd probably whip through Uptown and then Rice Village, Heights, Allen Parkway, Downtown, Rice, Eastwood, and then the refinery tour and Morgan's Point.

Red Scare, where is Morgans Point?

Gary, here's a map.

http://mappoint.msn.com/(5dahjkqnc3putr55d...c+United+States

I've never gotten real directions to this place. I've always driven around till I fell into it. Apparently, according to the map, the icehouse is at the end of Ballister Street. If you'll notice, to the west is Hwy 146, running through Deer Park.

Very cool way to waste a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Beer is cheap, too.

Gary, here's a map.

http://mappoint.msn.com/(5dahjkqnc3putr55d...c+United+States

I've never gotten real directions to this place.  I've always driven around till I fell into it.  Apparently, according to the map, the icehouse is at the end of Ballister Street.  If you'll notice, to the west is Hwy 146, running through Deer Park.

Very cool way to waste a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  Beer is cheap, too.

Thanks, this is a very cool idea.

I've never been to this area before, would it be a good spot for early evening? The reason I ask is that I'd love to show the lights of the refineries while coming back to town.

I don't know. I've never been there past say, 3 or 4 pm. However, this is not an expansive view of the port. As you can tell from the map, it is a rather narrow section of the ship channel, which means the ships are very close to the shore...a couple of hundred feet, tops. Seeing the ships lit up at dusk may be cool, too.

The icehouse is a fairly little place with a dirt parking lot. I've never felt like it was dangerous, but who knows what the night brings.

The refinery lights are very impressive, though.

Gary,

I just thought of something else that we've done often. We go to Morgan's Point for a few beers. Then we head down 146 to Kemah/Seabrook for more drinks and to eat. I like to go to the other side of the boardwalk, where the shrimp boats are. Pappadeux and some other places are on this side. There's less of the oppressive touristy crap than on the boardwalk side.

After a while here, you can drive back up 146 and into Houston on 225 for the light show. Kills a bunch of birds with one stone....and very few tourists get those views!

Gary,

I just thought of something else that we've done often.  We go to Morgan's Point for a few beers.  Then we head down 146 to Kemah/Seabrook for more drinks and to eat.  I like to go to the other side of the boardwalk, where the shrimp boats are.  Pappadeux and some other places are on this side.  There's less of the oppressive touristy crap than on the boardwalk side.

After a while here, you can drive back up 146 and into Houston on 225 for the light show.  Kills a bunch of birds with one stone....and very few tourists get those views!

Hey thanks Red, this is a great idea, one I never would have thought of. I love the idea of some of the tour being obscure like this.

Archived