Driving the Roads of Houston?

IronTiger

Child's play and fun too.  I am an agressive driver so it's no big deal to me but I can imagine it might scare the bejeebers out of someone who's not used to crossing lanes of traffic at speed and sudden merges.

(forgive the multi post. Uploaded slowly, then it showed up twice).

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Child's play and fun too.  I am an agressive driver so it's no big deal to me but I can imagine it might scare the bejeebers out of someone who's not used to crossing lanes of traffic at speed and sudden merges.

HA!  Reminds me of driving around with a young colleague (from a much smaller city, and who pretty much had never been in anything smaller/lower than an Explorer in his life) in my two seater that comes up to about one's navel.  He kept praying under his breath.  Or at least murmuring "sweet Jesus" over and over again.

HA!  Reminds me of driving around with a young colleague (from a much smaller city, and who pretty much had never been in anything smaller/lower than an Explorer in his life) in my two seater that comes up to about one's navel.  He kept praying under his breath.  Or at least murmuring "sweet Jesus" over and over again.

Never hurts to find a little religion whilst driving the freeways of Houston.  Maybe that's why Joel Osteen built his temple next to 59.

OK, I wanna know how fast you guys drive on the road. I mean, I would've driven at 60 mph on the Beltway as signed in normal situations, but I drove much faster than most signed roads. Not super-fast, mind you, nor did I make a lot of lane changes...it was a balancing act to go fast enough to be "I'm a driver who wants to keep up with the crowd" and not too fast to be "I'm a jackass who's willing to put others' lives at risk so I can get to my destination 5 minutes faster"

OK, I wanna know how fast you guys drive on the road. I mean, I would've driven at 60 mph on the Beltway as signed in normal situations, but I drove much faster than most signed roads. Not super-fast, mind you, nor did I make a lot of lane changes...it was a balancing act to go fast enough to be "I'm a driver who wants to keep up with the crowd" and not too fast to be "I'm a jackass who's willing to put others' lives at risk so I can get to my destination 5 minutes faster"

I go the speed limit and stay in the far right lane.

I generally go somewhere between 60-65mph.

I yell and scream at people who aren't going at least that fast, and yell and scream at people who expect me to go faster.

The red mist descends when it's time to merge.

I rarely look at the speedometer when driving the freeways here.  The conditions on the road at any given time dictate how fast or slow i'll go.  I've found it's better to go about the same speed as everyone else or just a little faster so I've got the initiative in case I need to change lanes.

I don't use the beltway (or any of the tollways really).

More to the point, I stopped using them when the backroom decision was made to continue charging tolls once a roadway was paid off, which is not what was voted for.

Not sure where that came from, but this post discusses that it was probably an urban legend that it was supposed to be free. There was one Dallas toll road that became a free road later, but...

The toll booths were actually removed from the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike when it was paid for. However, that was before the age of people going into a tizzy about anything called a "tax," revenue freezes, and that wonderful semantic device, the "user fee." Guess what, worshippers of St. Ron of Santa Barbara, if the government is requiring you to pay money, it's a tax regardless of what you call it.

That said, the Beltway is pretty expensive and only makes sense during rush hour.

I rarely look at the speedometer when driving the freeways here.  The conditions on the road at any given time dictate how fast or slow i'll go.  I've found it's better to go about the same speed as everyone else or just a little faster so I've got the initiative in case I need to change lanes.

Likewise, save in a couple of notorious speed trap areas.  Now, get me out on a good road, in good conditions, with good sight lines... let's just say that I enjoys me a generous power to weight ratio.  :ph34r:

Funny thing - since the speed limit between here and San Antonio was raised to 80, it still takes me the same amount of time to get there, 'cause it hasn't affected my speed.  The absence of worry about the Po Po does cause me to be more relaxed upon arrival, though.

Funny thing - since the speed limit between here and San Antonio was raised to 80, it still takes me the same amount of time to get there, 'cause it hasn't affected my speed.  The absence of worry about the Po Po does cause me to be more relaxed upon arrival, though.

It was raised to just 75, but everyone goes 80-85. I think the cops don't care as much now since you're only cruising at 5 mph over the limit instead of 10 over. I like the higher limit, but I just wish they would do something about these people in the left lane who don't realize it's the passing lane.

I hardly check my speed when on the freeways. You generally get a feel for how fast you're going. Though there have been times when I think I'm driving slow on the Katy Freeway, or others, in a line of cars and look down to see that we are going 70-75 MPH with people passing like I'm in park. Seriously, all Houston freeway outside of 610 need to go up by 5 MPH and then outside of the Beltway can go up another 5 MPH. Only exceptions I say would be 45 North, which should stay at 60 until around Mt Houston Road where it should go up by 5 MPH.

DFW is already beating us on this, as they voted to raise many freeways currently at 60 MPH to 65 MPH and one freeway that is currently 65 MPH to 70 MPH (287 South in Tarrant County). The tollways up there are already at 70 MPH, which is what the Beltway should be, especially the newest NE section.

Seriously, all Houston freeway outside of 610 need to go up by 5 MPH and then outside of the Beltway can go up another 5 MPH. Only exceptions I say would be 45 North, which should stay at 60 until around Mt Houston Road where it should go up by 5 MPH.

That's how it was prior to 2002 when the speed limits were lowered for air pollution reasons. Inside the loop and on the loop, the limit was 60 mph, but I think there were some 55 mph sections pre-dating the speed limit drop near downtown. Outside the loop, the limit was 65 mph. Outside the beltway and on the Sam Houston Tollway and on the Hardy Tollway, the limit was 70 mph daytime; 65 mph night. In fact, part of the Southwest Freeway had a 65 mph speed limit INSIDE 610. One odd thing was after the speed limits were lowered, the HOV speed limits stayed at the pre-2002 level. For some reason, the HOV lanes didn't need to have their speed limits lowered, so you'd have an HOV with a 70 mph limit, and the parallel mainlanes were only at 55 or 60.

That's how it was prior to 2002 when the speed limits were lowered for air pollution reasons. Inside the loop and on the loop, the limit was 60 mph, but I think there were some 55 mph sections pre-dating the speed limit drop near downtown. Outside the loop, the limit was 65 mph. Outside the beltway and on the Sam Houston Tollway and on the Hardy Tollway, the limit was 70 mph daytime; 65 mph night. In fact, part of the Southwest Freeway had a 65 mph speed limit INSIDE 610. One odd thing was after the speed limits were lowered, the HOV speed limits stayed at the pre-2002 level. For some reason, the HOV lanes didn't need to have their speed limits lowered, so you'd have an HOV with a 70 mph limit, and the parallel mainlanes were only at 55 or 60.

That is interesting. I see why native Houstonians are fast drivers. Use to the higher speed limits. I wonder if they will ever consider raising them back up around here. I really don't see a reason not to, except maybe the Constables not getting their money on the Katy Tollway or South Loop.

That is interesting. I see why native Houstonians are fast drivers. Use to the higher speed limits. I wonder if they will ever consider raising them back up around here. I really don't see a reason not to, except maybe the Constables not getting their money on the Katy Tollway or South Loop.

1. Air pollution

2. Risk of fatality increases with speed

Considering what's going on in Dallas, I wouldn't be surprised if the limits are raised back to their pre-2002 levels. The Texas Legislature banned environmental speed limits in 2003. Previously enacted environmental speed limits could remain, but no new miles of roadways can be subjected to environmental speed limits. So, if the limits do get raised to pre-2002 levels, I wouldn't be surprised if some roadways that were previously 70 mph roads stay at 65 mph due to increases in development and traffic in previously rural areas.

Likewise, save in a couple of notorious speed trap areas.  Now, get me out on a good road, in good conditions, with good sight lines... let's just say that I enjoys me a generous power to weight ratio.  :ph34r:

The Buc-ee's on I10 near Luling is what always slows my trips to San Antonio.

99.9% of people can't drive safely at speeds over 65 mph, including every single person who thinks they are the exception to that rule. :lol:

It's not just the person that probably shouldn't be operating their vehicles that fast, a lot of the vehicles on the road are not well maintained by their owners and probably shouldn't be driving 65+ mph, let alone even be on the freeway.

blown out struts, brakes not sufficiently maintained, etc.

I mean, I know the state inspection is supposed to cover the safety of the car, but all they really do is make sure the lights and horn work and emissions pass/fail. otherwise, they could care less.

I personally am not against the speed limit on the freeways in the city being 55mph. it does reduce pollution (of all varieties), everyone will get better gas mileage, and people will have more reaction time to avoid incidents, especially in as tight of space as we all have to maintain.

Most trips around the city I'd say on average a person is on the freeway for 10 miles of the overall trip. the difference in time between those 10 miles at 55mph vs 60mph is less than a minute difference (54.5 seconds). as you bump the numbers up by 5, the differences get even smaller. for example, the difference in that 10 mile journey between 60 and 65 mph is 46.2 seconds. 65 to 70 is 39.6 seconds.

Is that minute worth the added safety and a less polluted environment to live in?

My answer to that question is that for the short distances that we drive on average in the city, going fast really isn't worth it.

It's fun and exhilarating to go fast, but there's plenty of high performance go kart tracks around town (35+ mph go karts) that are far more exhilarating (sitting 2" off the ground with naught but a helmet at 35mph is actually more exhilarating as going 70mph in any car).

I mean, I know the state inspection is supposed to cover the safety of the car, but all they really do is make sure the lights and horn work and emissions pass/fail. otherwise, they could care less.

I've also run into a few inspection stations that unnecessarily nitpick the windshield wipers.  After being gouged for a new one, I've started replacing mine right before inspection time.

I've also run into a few inspection stations that unnecessarily nitpick the windshield wipers.  After being gouged for a new one, I've started replacing mine right before inspection time.

You can sometimes find wiper blades for $2 a piece at rockauto.com if you catch them on a closeout sale. I have a few pairs. They might squeak sometimes, but you won't get nicked by some inspection station that wants to make money off of wiper blade sales.

You have to drive for yourself and somebody else because you have some folks who have no business on the streets or the freeways especially those who don't have insurance or liscence. Be careful .

Because this.

5cc581e8c20c5a25751a08c9386e37fa.jpg

On the way back, I had to tap my brakes just once sometime in 290 (and I hit the rumble strips in Navasota, but I corrected safely and easily), but I was able to tell when traffic got worse.

Some notes that I took on my way in that the traffic slowly ramped up: Highway 6 South (Brazos County) was of course easy (open, clear sights, very little traffic) was easy, south of Navasota was a little iffier (lots of hills at high speeds), then 290 it increased more.

I stayed 55 mph that whole way it was signed, knowing that my friend had gotten pulled over a state trooper going over the speed limit in that area (but didn't get a ticket). He's the guy in the "abandoned fast food" pictures.

I could tell two places where traffic started scaling up: when 290 started to run parallel to the railroad, then the Cypress-Rosehill/Spring-Rosehill interchanges (that's where construction also started). I had thought I had avoided problems by going to Hempstead Road, but after waiting at the longest lights in recent memory at Jones Road (exited too early), then forced down a narrow, concrete barrier-lined frontage road with absolutely no clearance on either side to get to Hempstead Road, and then having to make a quick dodge to the outer lane to avoid a truck stopped in the inner lane to turn...but other than that, it was a decent drive. I explored around Northwest Mall to reach the Burger King on the other end, then continued down Post Oak. 

During all this time, I was surprised to see that there was no activity on the NW corridor in my drive--prior to 2009, there'd usually be a train seen, but nope, only some switching cars (a stay at the Comfort Inn in 2008 at Washington and 290 had many, many trains go by into the night).

I jumped onto 610 sometime in Uptown, which would've been a mistake, except because traffic was running slowly (35 mph), it was a snap. After a while it sped up and I got to 288, and eventually, my destination south of Pearland.

I enjoyed the trip greatly, and also got to see some of the downtown views better, especially at night (had I seen downtown at night, ever? I don't believe I had), and I also noticed four things about Midtown and Downtown.

- "Wow, downtown looks GREAT at night! Wait, have I ever seen downtown at night before, this close? I don't believe I have!"

- "Man, that elevated highway DOES look kind of spooky. Of course, I'm not familiar with this area at all, and it's night too."

- "Wow! That former Days Inn in Midtown had balconies that close to the freeway! Dude, I can't be more than 20 feet away from that door!"

- "Oooh. The Midtown Fiesta sign has this sparkly marquee effect! Wow! Who knew?"

Note that the four observations were seen when I WASN'T driving. I couldn't see I thing when I was.

- "Wow! That former Days Inn in Midtown had balconies that close to the freeway! Dude, I can't be more than 20 feet away from that door!"

- "Oooh. The Midtown Fiesta sign has this sparkly marquee effect! Wow! Who knew?"

I think you were looking at 2016 Main. The Days Inn is about 2 blocks north of the freeway.

That Midtown Fiesta sign looks cool from the air at night, too. I saw it when flying into Hobby one night from BWI on Southwest a few years ago. We did the runway 12R approach coming in out of the northeast, looping around downtown over Fourth Ward, Montrose, Midtown, still banking over the Sears and Fiesta at about 1,800 feet and finally leveling out over Third Ward.

I think you were looking at 2016 Main. The Days Inn is about 2 blocks north of the freeway.

That Midtown Fiesta sign looks cool from the air at night, too. I saw it when flying into Hobby one night from BWI on Southwest a few years ago. We did the runway 12R approach coming in out of the northeast, looping around downtown over Fourth Ward, Montrose, Midtown, still banking over the Sears and Fiesta at about 1,800 feet and finally leveling out over Third Ward.

Nope, it was definitely 4640 Main Street, which is now housing for homeless U.S. vets. Although Midtown, it was on the south end. It also three blocks away from the Fiesta earlier mentioned.

Archived