Royal Oaks A Bit Pricey?

I went into their new salon at Royal Oaks shopping "centre" (to make it seem more fancy) and I asked the lady receptionist, "how much is a cut and color?)

The name of the place is called, "The Look" Hair Salon.

It was $130 for a cut and color

I go to this place off Westheimer that is close to Dairy Ashford for a cut and color and only charge me $60 for the same thing

I was just pricing

Why does Royal Oaks feel they can screw their customers by charging more for the same service?

The only thing cheap in that centre is "Kohls"! (and its neighbor HEB)

Their "buffalo stop" or that resturant on the corner (in the HEB strip center), Pier One Imports, that resturant "Chammps" (not to be mistaken for our dearly beloved "Champs breakfast house...man I miss that place) are the only expensive places in that area. Is the bank there so you can take out a small loan to shop in this particular area?

Look at the demographics for the houses in Royal Oaks.

My company did the engineering for the subdivision. Considering the cheapest house in the place may be as low as 600k. Many or over 2-3 million.

If peole are stupid enough pay that much then let them. Let it be the salon owner for being smart enough to capitalize on them by charging that much.

Let capitalism close the salon out if their prices are too high.

Speaking of Royal Oaks, I've been inside the place several times using my business card, company hat, and shirt to prove i'm doing work in there and just joy riding. The golf course is really neat since it is sunken in the ground to be used as detention. How about that for mixed use.

WOMEN!!!!!  :P

:o:angry:

Toolman I'll say this nicely. I have frequent this board VERY often and I know your joking about the hair cut and color and women. BUT I am typical tomboy. I am doing this because I have premature grey in my hair AND my hair looks like *censored* when its grown out.

It Just REALLY pisses me off that people come on here and assume because I am female I am "girly"

I could either pay someone to do this OR I could go to Sally's, grab a bottle of hair color, gloves, something to block the scent of that hair gel, go f**k my hair up and THEN pay someone to fix it. I hate wearing dresses/skirts/dressing up. I never liked it growing up. I have virtually NO female "girlfriends" friends, pals to hang out (and not lesbian). I can't even get along with women sad to say :(

(I get envious they can go shopping together and become friends and I feel left out of the cold (its a VERY sensitive subject for me)

The reason I was pricing hair salons was because this newer one was closer to my house.

I went inside "West Oaks mall" and this place "Regis" OMG! once he said hair was $60 I told him he was too expensive and left.

I guess stick with where I have been going.

Anyway I DO love Walmart too. Except the white older lady at that Garden center is a bi**h. One time I had to return something and I told her I am taking it to customer service. I told her I'd walk it in the store and then go to the front door to get that little sticker on it. I even showed the woman my receipt. The lady insisted on me walking in 110 degree dreaded heat AROUND the building to the front. So next time I saw the woman she said "hi" and I ignored her. (this is the 2nd time the same woman has complained to me) and I did tell the manager. He didn't do anything though but stand there and let me complain about her. Oh well. Don't care. I shop at HEB anyway. I love their prices (and selections of ice cream)...and I even got a free paring knife at HEB!! (ok I don't need a knife but hey its a freebie)

Y'know if the area is so pricey how come they didn't build a "Randalls" there (because its too close to the one on Wilcrest?) ....I bet the area is kicking themselves for doing that! -thinking.. "We could get the rich people with our overpriced select items"

and the trend continues across the street at the "french bakery", NY pizzera, EB Games AND *shocked* a CVS. (Only thing I buy there are the sponge balls my cat likes to fetch with)

Wanted to ask...was the building with "Camden"...my uncle who owns the Houstonian does business with Camden Properties.

I have never seen beyond the gates of Royal Oaks housing except the bridge on Westpark. One could only dream...if I had that much money... I SO WOULD NOT be here in town! ;)

Royal Oaks was built by a Las Vegas Developer who wanted to try out the Houston Market. He did very well with almost all the lots being sold. All the houses are custom to some extent with a restriction on the outside colors and materials. All the houses look like many new houses out in California and Las Vegas.

The land was easy to get for this development since it was an old Airport.

There are several retirement apartment communities going up next to Royal Oaks also. Camden may be doing one of these.

The country no longer.

I remember my boss at work telling me when West Oaks mall was the only thing out there past highway 6.

I also remember some older guys telling me when they were kids that Westheimer would be two lanes before the Beltway (which didn't exist) and there would be fields with cattle grazing.

Things change. Progress continues.

Look at the demographics for the houses in Royal Oaks.

My company did the engineering for the subdivision.  Considering the cheapest house in the place may be as low as 600k.  Many or over 2-3 million.

Actually there are a few houses for sale between $450 - $575 on HAR. But what is the difference right? LOL, I know I will never live there (can't afford it, and if I could I would not live there).

Royal Oaks was built by a Las Vegas Developer who wanted to try out the Houston Market.  He did very well with almost all the lots being sold.  All the houses are custom to some extent with a restriction on the outside colors and materials.  All the houses look like many new houses out in California and Las Vegas.

The land was easy to get for this development since it was an old Airport.

There are several retirement apartment communities going up next to Royal Oaks also.  Camden may be doing one of these.

I saw the retirement home next to "Raising Canes"

Also the stucco houses with spanish tile isn't new. Its been around all over the Southwest. Not just CA and Vegas.

El Paso Texas is full of beautiful houses with spanish tile (red tile) and elegant designs.

I have no idea. We just design the road and other infrastructure and the detention facilities. We also provide MUD creation and act as the advising engineer for the MUD. Royal Oaks is an in-city MUD. The City of Houston doesn't take full responsibility for the infrastructure until the MUD pays it off. It's kind of like a TIRZ when upgrade infrastructure.

Actually another engineer started to work on the project and bowed out. We jump in and completed it for the client hopping they will want to do more development around the city.

Yes, indeed. IMHO, Royal Oaks is a tad too pricey. Sure, it's a nice location, but, you're a few miles outside the beltway- a bit too far to charge this much. Thank you very much, I think I'll buy a nice big townhome in West U for 400k, instead of the 500k they are charging for smaller ones in Royal Oaks.

Plus, I'll end up with a shorter commute, and a more vibrant neighborhood.

For a pricey neighborhood can't even get a friggan streetlight right there. I Still seeeee that streetlight pole on the ground across the street and NO work! I almost had an accident going to Kohls there the other day. Stupid lady crossing the street doesn't know what "YIELD TO traffic going down Westheimer means. I blow my horn and SHE yells at me (in her car)...So let me slow down to let her pass. She's more important!

• 1 year later...

The thing about Royal Oaks is that it's zoned to Alief ISD (Outley ES, Budewig IS, O'Donnell MS) - As with all areas in Alief ISD, high school-aged kids take a lottery that determines whether they go to Elsik, Hastings, or Taylor.

Unlike HISD, which has a lot of magnet programs, Alief ISD's only magnet program is Kerr HS.

people in million dollar homes outside the beltway are probably not overly concerened with public schools...

Maybe they could sneak their kids into that brand new high school, Westside High I believe. It is a good school. . .for now. :blush:

Maybe they could sneak their kids into that brand new high school, Westside High I believe. It is a good school. . .for now. :blush:

If one or both of the parents works for HISD, or if the family coughs up tuition, the kids may attend Westside.

• 4 months later...
It's pricey because of the country club. Apparently there are large waiting lists at Lakeside, River Oaks, etc. It does bring up the surrounding area a lot, though.

Where exactly is the country club? I used to live up around there, and I presume it is somewhere behind all the walls, but was never quite sure.

Also, does anyone but me think the houses (at least what the poor ... well ... less-fortunate can see from the street) seem to be cookie cutter, and close-together?

Where exactly is the country club? I used to live up around there, and I presume it is somewhere behind all the walls, but was never quite sure.

Also, does anyone but me think the houses (at least what the poor ... well ... less-fortunate can see from the street) seem to be cookie cutter, and close-together?

I've done a lot of work in Royal Oaks. The country club is in the middle of all the homes. It is beautiful, real upper-end. The homes are pack in their with little yards and side by side. I don't understand the location, the developers could have done a better job. I wonder what the people that live in the trailers and the small run-down homes in old Alief think of seeing that big brick wall and huge roof tops behind it, every morning?

I've done a lot of work in Royal Oaks. The country club is in the middle of all the homes. It is beautiful, real upper-end. The homes are pack in their with little yards and side by side. I don't understand the location, the developers could have done a better job. I wonder what the people that live in the trailers and the small run-down homes in old Alief think of seeing that big brick wall and huge roof tops behind it, every morning?

One of the partners in my husband's company lives in Royal Oaks. We have had the last two company Christmas parties at the Country Club. It isn't River Oaks Country Club, but it's ok.

• The title was changed to Royal Oaks A Bit Pricey?

Archived