Is Montrose Over?

I don't think Montrose is 'over.' It still has the eateries and tatoo parlors to cater to hipsters. I agree that I have seen some migration of that crowd over to the Eastside (e.g. Bohemeo's). Aside: what's with komboucha? I can't understand what's appealing about the drink or why it's sold in hipster restaurants.

kombucha is activia for for the cool people. ;)

just kidding. i eat activia and drink kombucha on occasion and do not consider myself "cool".  it's good for your gut and it tastes good.

montrose is just different, not "over".  all places and neighborhoods transition.  the east side down navigation is ripe for a bohemian enclave.  frenetic theatre, bohemeo's, moon tower, are all evidence that it could be happening.

it would be great fun to see a street culture emerge that direction that is unique, uncommon, and anti-bougie.  if numbers relocated (you know it's going to happen) and other "like" establishments to this area, we would again have an escape or alternative scene like montrose used to provide.  the one thing missing are aging apartments, bungalows, and mansions.

culture in general has changed as has technology; places like the way montrose used to be may be a thing of the past.  montrose isn't over, just different.

• 2 weeks later...

kombucha is activia for for the cool people. ;)

just kidding. i eat activia and drink kombucha on occasion and do not consider myself "cool".  it's good for your gut and it tastes good.

montrose is just different, not "over".  all places and neighborhoods transition.  the east side down navigation is ripe for a bohemian enclave.  frenetic theatre, bohemeo's, moon tower, are all evidence that it could be happening.

it would be great fun to see a street culture emerge that direction that is unique, uncommon, and anti-bougie.  if numbers relocated (you know it's going to happen) and other "like" establishments to this area, we would again have an escape or alternative scene like montrose used to provide.  the one thing missing are aging apartments, bungalows, and mansions.

culture in general has changed as has technology; places like the way montrose used to be may be a thing of the past.  montrose isn't over, just different.

wha???

There are plenty of 4plex and 8plex apartments over here, lots of bungalows, and a metric ton of garage apartments. At least once you're out of the 'eado' section of the east end. eado is basically turning into (or has already turned into) midtown v2.0, keep going east down Leeland, Harrisburg, Canal, or Navigation, turn into a neighborhood street (any of them) and you start seeing these types of things.

• 5 months later...

Montrose will always be Montrose. It's just changing. Like it always has been doing. I was born in Montrose in 1943 on Jack Street, near Alabama St. I those days (1940's and 50's) it was simply a family neighborhood. Then in the late 50's and early 60's it became the place for college students to live. Then the late 60's came along. (I like these times the best). Hippy's and a nice time to live there. I moved away in the 70's so I missed the gay times and now it's the yuppies with money. My wife and I met there in 1971 and are content to remember the 60's and 70's.  Montrose is what one remembers and liked about it then or what is to come.

wha???

There are plenty of 4plex and 8plex apartments over here, lots of bungalows, and a metric ton of garage apartments. At least once you're out of the 'eado' section of the east end. eado is basically turning into (or has already turned into) midtown v2.0, keep going east down Leeland, Harrisburg, Canal, or Navigation, turn into a neighborhood street (any of them) and you start seeing these types of things.

Exactly

Montrose will always be Montrose. It's just changing. Like it always has been doing. I was born in Montrose in 1943 on Jack Street, near Alabama St. I those days (1940's and 50's) it was simply a family neighborhood. Then in the late 50's and early 60's it became the place for college students to live. Then the late 60's came along. (I like these times the best). Hippy's and a nice time to live there. I moved away in the 70's so I missed the gay times and now it's the yuppies with money. My wife and I met there in 1971 and are content to remember the 60's and 70's. Montrose is what one remembers and liked about it then or what is to come.

This is a good point. Many Houston neighborhoods have changed over the decades. Montrose was one of them. And, I believe that it is changing again. If development trends continue over the next 10-15 years, the artsy hipness that was associated with Montrose over the last 30 years will be greatly diminished in my opinion. It will be replaced with something else. Maybe even all those families with small children like in the 1940's but this time likely more affluent. Or, perhaps it will be just a bunch of young lawyers and singles. Or maybe it will be a bunch of retired baby boomers. We shall see.

But, to the original question: "is Montrose over?" If we define "Montrose" as the last 20-30 years only, yes, it is over IMO. But it will fade away slowly as development and property values take the inevitable toll on artists, hipsters, gays, and libertines.

But, to the original question: "is Montrose over?" If we define "Montrose" as the last 20-30 years only, yes, it is over IMO. But it will fade away slowly as development and property values take the inevitable toll on artists, hipsters, gays, and libertines.

Dunno.  Hipsters and gays can have some decent coin.  I'm not sure what financial demographic libertines fall into, though.

Dunno. Hipsters and gays can have some decent coin. I'm not sure what financial demographic libertines fall into, though.

It is absolutely true that ALL types of folks can be rich or poor, any race or gender, or sexual orientation.

But, how many junk stores selling twenty million pairs of used cowboy boots do you see in Piney Point? How many tattooed, gay, iron welding sculptural artists do you find in hedwig village or West U? There may be some, true but they aren't easy to find.

In Montrose for the last 30 years, they have been (and still are) easy to find. I think that will, starting now, change over the next decade or so. And "Montrose" (the Version we think of) will be over. The shift of the Pride parade to downtown signals that to me.

Interesting read.

I used to live in the 1700 block of Portsmouth before it became a gang hotspot, in a complex of fourplexes occupied by grad students, med students, law students, baby lawyers, new doctors, and whatever Rice grad students turn into.  Our only excitement was when my next door neighbor's girlfriend would get drunk and unruly.  At the dead end was a larger apartment block that became very not choosy when the economy tanked in the early 80s.  Shortly after that the education ghetto pretty much vanished.  

I used to live in the 1700 block of Portsmouth before it became a gang hotspot, in a complex of fourplexes occupied by grad students, med students, law students, baby lawyers, new doctors, and whatever Rice grad students turn into.  

Back in the day, the correct answer would've most likely been "embittered post-docs passing for furniture at Valhalla". 

Archived